exhaust wrap absorbs moisture rumour

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
i read through lots of forums regarding exhaust thermal wrap and how lots of enthusiasts and mechanics are against it and suggested ceramic coating instead but price difference is really big. They claimed it absorbs moisture and eventually our extractor will weaken and crumble before its time

however, i came across this saying in a website:

"Point to note: It's only a rumour that exhaust wrap absorbs water and can encourage your mild steel headers to crumble away prematurely. If anyone tells you this, they're fearmongering." - car bibles

the full address is here, check out the most bottom part on "exhaust wrap":

Car Bibles : The Fuel and Engine Bible: page 5 of 6

ive been searching for similar opinions on the web for extra confirmation but couldn find yet

comment anyone??

wsukun

500 RPM
Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
First of all, ever "accidentally" touch any of the exhaust piping after long driving of afternoon?
Any clue how hot can it be? Not just absorb moist but will absorb your soul as well if u know what I mean..
Oh ya, those thermal bandage wrap won't be useful in country like Msia where the weather alone enough to moist your underwear.

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
haha moisted underwear is caused by sweating, i dont think applicable to exhaust:D.
but i dont really understand what u trying point out..mind explain more?the "accidentally" touch part...

anyway if the exhaust is always running hot during driving, wont the moisture be vaporized before it can do damage to it?

it would be helpful if got someone who experienced crumbled exhaust before due to wrapping, just want to know whether this problem is certain or just potential only..

BE5RSK

Known Member
Dec 31, 2009
Besaout
I'm not a scientist nor had an experienced done this.

But, I just believe by wrapping the exhaust manifold, we can prevent the heat generated by the manifold into the engine bay. Thus, lower down the engine bay temperature. However, where the heat gone? I'm sure the heat was trapped in between the outer layer of the manifold (iron cast/stainless steel, whatever it is) and the wrapper. Subsequently, the heat level received by the manifold was increased further (assumed that it was not wrapped before). For some non high heat-resistant manifold (well, it depends on the material also), it gone crack/crumble time to time due to "higher-than-usual" temperature.

Well, I maybe wrong. It just my opinion on the other possibility why the wrapped exhaust manifold easily going cracked/crumbled, other than caused by moist (as lots of forums mentioned it).

Last edited:

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
i cant say for sure that hotbits headers never crack but i have seen one crack with heatwrapping

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
I'm not a scientist nor had an experienced done this.

But, I just believe by wrapping the exhaust manifold, we can prevent the heat generated by the manifold into the engine bay. Thus, lower down the engine bay temperature. However, where the heat gone? I'm sure the heat was trapped in between the outer layer of the manifold (iron cast/stainless steel, whatever it is) and the wrapper. Subsequently, the heat level received by the manifold was increased further (assumed that it was not wrapped before). For some non high heat-resistant manifold (well, it depends on the material also), it gone crack/crumble time to time due to "higher-than-usual" temperature.

Well, I maybe wrong. It just my opinion on the other possibility why the wrapped exhaust manifold easily going cracked/crumbled, other than caused by moist (as lots of forums mentioned it).
i agree with BE5RSK..

the heat must go sumwhere.. if not, it will overheat..

and bad things happens when sumthing overheat..

:idea:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
ceramic coating for long time investment......
just wondering, do they sell those ceramic coating in a can at hardware stores? maybe can DIY.
No kidding! If really got I'd sure like to try!

i read through lots of forums regarding exhaust thermal wrap and how lots of enthusiasts and mechanics are against it and suggested ceramic coating instead but price difference is really big. They claimed it absorbs moisture and eventually our extractor will weaken and crumble before its time

however, i came across this saying in a website:

"Point to note: It's only a rumour that exhaust wrap absorbs water and can encourage your mild steel headers to crumble away prematurely. If anyone tells you this, they're fearmongering." - car bibles

the full address is here, check out the most bottom part on "exhaust wrap":

Car Bibles : The Fuel and Engine Bible: page 5 of 6

ive been searching for similar opinions on the web for extra confirmation but couldn find yet

comment anyone??
Technically, it's not "absorbing water" you should worried about. Fibreglass wraps that'll prick the hell out of you (if you don't wear gloves) will not absorb water that readily. It's trapping the moisture in-between the gaps and exposing moisture to that amount of intense heat that you should worry about. Damage isn't from absorbed water, it's trapped moisture that'll kill it. Accelerated rusting or moisture heat/cold exchange (imagine the same pipe some cooled with moisture some dry but super duper hot.. uneven cooling), this will kill the exhaust.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
i've heard about ceramic coating.. it's been recommended sumwhere in d net..

the best thing is ceramic coating plus the wrap.. sure sejuk je engine bay tuh.. hehe

kalau fiber tak ok ke? coz fiber ada jual kat hardware shop..

hehe.. tanya jer..

:hmmmm:

jswong

Known Member
Dec 30, 2004
I've never seen those ceramic coating available as DIY cans in Ace Hardware, though I've seen some ad for DIY spray-on ceramic coating in some car mag before.

For those who are worried about excessive heat cooking off the mainfold material, the logic is wrong. Think of it this way - if you boil water in a clay pot and in a stainless steel pot, then pour out the water from both pots, which will cool down first? The answer is the stainless steel pot, because it is a HEAT CONDUCTOR. Ceramic, on the other hand, is a HEAT INSULATOR and tends to retain heat even after you've stopped applying heat to it. That's how those "Magic Pot" devices work - it's a ceramic-insulated plastic container that relies on heat being stored and retained in the ceramic layer to keep the food hot.

Therefore, if you use thermal wrap on the exhaust manifold, there will be less heat radiated away from the manifold because it will be trapped by the heat insulator (fibreglass cloth). The manifold itself, however, continues to function as a heatsink as it is a heat conductor. However, when the engine is turned off and there's no longer hot gases flowing through the manifold, the steel material will tend to dissipate the heat to the ambient air, but it'll cool down slower than an unwrapped manifold because it's insulated.

But you gotta remember that the heat insulation wrapping is not a free energy device, it will not heat up the manifold beyond what's been insulated by it. With the absence of continuous energy input, heat will still be radiated away gradually. The manifold will not be any hotter than it was when the engine was running, only that it cools down slower.

Manifolds cracking depends on many factors. It could be material fatigue at the bent areas (since the steel grains are aligned differently after the application of mechanical strain by the mandrel or crimp bender), it could be rapid heating and cooling e.g. being splashed with water repeatedly when it's hot (such as when driving through puddles), and it can also be due to a bad choice of material (there are many grades of stainless steel, and not all can maintain structural strength at high temperatures. Cheaper low-carbon percentage stainless steels tend to have lower creep strength at high temperatures).

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
yeah..

my vote is for no wrapping / coating.. period..

:driver:

upontheriversky

Known Member
Dec 31, 2007
I've never seen those ceramic coating available as DIY cans in Ace Hardware, though I've seen some ad for DIY spray-on ceramic coating in some car mag before.

For those who are worried about excessive heat cooking off the mainfold material, the logic is wrong. Think of it this way - if you boil water in a clay pot and in a stainless steel pot, then pour out the water from both pots, which will cool down first? The answer is the stainless steel pot, because it is a HEAT CONDUCTOR. Ceramic, on the other hand, is a HEAT INSULATOR and tends to retain heat even after you've stopped applying heat to it. That's how those "Magic Pot" devices work - it's a ceramic-insulated plastic container that relies on heat being stored and retained in the ceramic layer to keep the food hot.

Therefore, if you use thermal wrap on the exhaust manifold, there will be less heat radiated away from the manifold because it will be trapped by the heat insulator (fibreglass cloth). The manifold itself, however, continues to function as a heatsink as it is a heat conductor. However, when the engine is turned off and there's no longer hot gases flowing through the manifold, the steel material will tend to dissipate the heat to the ambient air, but it'll cool down slower than an unwrapped manifold because it's insulated.

But you gotta remember that the heat insulation wrapping is not a free energy device, it will not heat up the manifold beyond what's been insulated by it. With the absence of continuous energy input, heat will still be radiated away gradually. The manifold will not be any hotter than it was when the engine was running, only that it cools down slower.

Manifolds cracking depends on many factors. It could be material fatigue at the bent areas (since the steel grains are aligned differently after the application of mechanical strain by the mandrel or crimp bender), it could be rapid heating and cooling e.g. being splashed with water repeatedly when it's hot (such as when driving through puddles), and it can also be due to a bad choice of material (there are many grades of stainless steel, and not all can maintain structural strength at high temperatures. Cheaper low-carbon percentage stainless steels tend to have lower creep strength at high temperatures).
with these explanation i could not resist myself from asking. are you an engineer?should be either civil or mechanical because you based your explanation a lot on material science:D

anyway, just to share, in my opinion, the main purpose of exhaust coating/wrapping is to keep the heat within the exhaust systems so that the pressure inside will be relatively high for fast gas flow which results in less restriction for better power output.

As the exhaust gas flows from extractor to the muffler, it gets cooler as heat is radiated and flow becomes slower.Then we need a bit more rev just to push the gases out when the rev could be used for more forward force so less efficiency.

plus we get cooler engine bay as side effect which is good. just my 2 cents :D

PocketRocket

'(00) Mod'er
Helmet Clan
Nov 28, 2004
Up Yours
Dude, I learnt it the hard way...don't do it! my hotbits became...EXPENSIVE HOTBITS!

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

today, 11.11.10, as usual every thurs, i will leave my apartment
@ 530am to send my wife & daughter to her parents hse....as i was in the lift heading down,
there were this couple, bout early 40's also together in the lift, they walked ahead of me 1st as i have to detour to the dumpster to throw rubbish. As my other car is usually parked outside the apartment compound, i was carrying my bag & daughter walking out.

When i reached my car, right outside the guard hse, opened the door for...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience