Exhaust modification

WilsonTHarv

Jul 14, 2016
Guys,

I have a 3" straight flow exhaust setup on my turbo car. I have a mid-box resonator (pretty large one and is straight flow) and a pretty large straight flow rear muffler. But it's still loud and the droning at 2.6-3k rpm is killing me since I'm in that rev range a lot.

I've been reading up about side-branch resonators and helmholtz resonators. It's those weird branch exhaust add-ons that apparently take away the droning by cancelling out certain frequencies depending on length of the resonator.

Anyone tried this with positive results?

View attachment 571443 View attachment 571444
I have seen a video on youtube about installing helmholtz resonator on a galant vr4 to reduce drone ... he get a quite positive result with it ,maybe you could check it out if u haven't watched it .

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
if I had to guess, from my own experience it’s because the diameter of the pipe is on the big side thus it drones.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have seen a video on youtube about installing helmholtz resonator on a galant vr4 to reduce drone ... he get a quite positive result with it ,maybe you could check it out if u haven't watched it .
Yeah thanks. Will look at that

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if I had to guess, from my own experience it’s because the diameter of the pipe is on the big side thus it drones.

told him to reduce the size... but he didnt want to... :driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Use mugen style twin loop muffler at the rear, it sounds soft/not droning but yet still sporty. I'm using that type of muffler on my Mark X and pretty happy with them but not sure if it is suitable for high powered turbo cars and if it's available for big 3' pipes like yours.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think you original muffler the fiber glass all gone already. Like my VR when new it does not drone that bad, but after years of use the drone has become louder.....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I think you original muffler the fiber glass all gone already. Like my VR when new it does not drone that bad, but after years of use the drone has become louder.....lol
makes me remember the old days seeing rxz riders DIY replace the fiber in their muffler.involves lots of digging,knocking, and sometimes fire...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
makes me remember the old days seeing rxz riders DIY replace the fiber in their muffler.involves lots of digging,knocking, and sometimes fire...
For car, there is a muffler model where the ends can open up. Lock down by bolt/nuts. This is for replacing the fibers.....:driver:

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Is your spare tyre in the trunk? Without it, the drone may get worse

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Is your spare tyre in the trunk? Without it, the drone may get worse
Everything in, actually carrying plenty extra weight. Spare tyre, tool box, water, shopping bags, trekking sticks, jumper cables, extra spark plugs, etc.....lol

christ

Aug 23, 2007
Guys, sorry to hijack this thread. Any recommended places that make good custom exhaust system? Anyone here has any experience dealing with shops like racetag, mfr, supercircuit, etc?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

microfibers
Microfiber Explained

micro fiberWhat is Microfiber?
Imagine a microscopic plastic wire that cuts through and breaks apart dust, dirt, grime and moisture, and then picks it up like a magnet without scratching the surface. This is what microfiber does when cleaning. Our microfiber is a revolutionary thread, comprised of wedge-shaped polyester filaments and a core of nylon. Made of both oil-attracting and water-attracting polymers, the fibers are woven into masses of...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience