exclusive report - car cover damaged paint by KC

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Ladies & gentleman
What you are about to see, the truth that was told by anyone & anywhere of the secret …..NAKED TRUTH danger of car covers…….not many car accessories retailer or manufacture would be happy about this but…the truth need to be told

Would I be the next witness turn victim????

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-covers/74895-water-damage-car-cover.html"][/URL]

CAR COVERS

A good alternative way to protect your ultimate ride…but is it SAFE

available almost every part of the world

I had the most challenging task, never ever has I face with such a gigantic giant in my all detailing attempts.

I received a numerous messages daily, but 2 sat ago, I had quite an unusual Short Message ….while settling busy with our new place,

The message read as “ I need your help….water stain …I think..water under plastic cover after rain. On the bonnet mainly, (obviously there are more….rear boot, top roof, both rear quarter of the ride, side door)…

I replied “ try some polish , rub it off…”

Next morning “ Gd Morning, much appreciate if you can check my car, today as I am driving down to Singapore)…

Now that trigged me & My detailing passion arouse within…I invited him over in the afternoon after church.

Re: Water Damage from Car Cover-Check these Pictures
I had the same thing happen a number of years ago but not the same circumstances that you encountered. I tried a number of steps to get the moisture out ofthe clear to no avail. The clear coat will absorb moisture and the only cure is to repaint
Appended below are the report of my detail:-

this is a E90 330i Coupe..

the owner upon returning from overseas after 3 days, as he need to attend some urgent meeting. Discover that he forgetten to park his ride in, out of the kind heart of the domestic help, she cover the owner beloved ride with the car cover.

to the owner surprise, he was shocked to see these milky stain on his paint, as he tries to remove them by all kind of product, polish & rubbing compound he has but failed…

adding to this heart ache, is that he cant bear to drive this ride across down to Singapore…

the feeling of lost & anger. Captivated him thru out the night

more heart ache picture

Soon i discover, i actually woke up the sleeping giant....ever could i challenge and face.....
i shooked my head.....after many attempts but failed to restores her...

Delcately carefully ....upscalling the aggressive polish & compound & pad......

close up shot

many have tried in overseas & no results shown...will this too be fated to be repainted

I had no choice but lend me listening ear & helping hand to my beloved stranger (who became my friend later)

more damage inflicted on the roof of the ride

close up pic of the roof damaged by the

pick up from clay, in spite a proper wash
look like Tar stains

Rear bonnet more Milky stain evidence

a 50/50 area set prior correction begin….

NOTE
Kindly pardon the following picture as the newly purchase SD card is malfunction, distorted all the precious picture. The best that I can restore.

look at the rear fender damaged ( more whitish evidence found)

more close up pic of the damaged fender, whitish stains are the damages, as clear coat is corroded off by the car cover

Ta da the bonnet is restores & the back fender is tape & cover to prevent buffing pad damages

3inch pad specially flown in from US to tackle task like this

picture of the damage spoiler, BEFORE

Restore Picture

Extreme close up pic before correction

Picture after corrections, matrix picture…

Hope was restores…but that 1 foot of correction took me nearly 2 hours to restores . The most delicate detail I ever attempt thus far.

Tada the rear Ultimate look for this Machines

FRONT BONNET

Picture of the milky stains, damages from car cover water traps baked under extreme heat of the tropics

More damage front bonnet picture

extreme close up & under proper lighting picture

Tada
The ultimate Nose for the ultimate Driving machines

more of the pic after, (pardon for the damages SD card)

detail restored

the pads require for this OPERATIONS

Begin & Finish with Meguiars M# 105 & Rotary (all the way)
With the combination of Lake Country double sided wool , Meguiars Cutting Pad, Meguiars, Polishing pad, Lake country glazing pad

I am very very blessed to live in times like these, with all the cutting age technology & advancement of detailing product (the best ever made) making available .

to be able to have good detailing products & tools from overseas

thanks for viewing agin

FYI (More report covering car cover damages)

There was a similar damages happen in the state, having a similar looks on this bimmer

Water Damage from Car Cover-Check these Pictures
Hi,
I have a 99 Purple Prowler which is left outsde with an Evolution 4 car cover and with a tarp over the cover. I took both off only to discover a large stain, milky-colored (about the 15" diameter)on the hood. I brought to a detailer who attempted to buff it out, without luck. I then brought it to a body shop, who has rarely seen this, but talked about the stain baking through and possibly attacking the clear coat, and would need to refinish the hood. Any ideas on commercially available cleaners I can try before going through this hassle and expense? Any suggestions are welcome! Here is the url for the pictures:

I thought it might be good to share this & pre warn all car owners & lovers of
The danger of Car covers….

more milky stains

Lets think twice before placing any car covers on your beloved car

Last edited:

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi kc2,

Firstly I have to say great blog, been reading it off and on when you work on cars that interest me and I have to say kudos for all the sharing of knowledge you've been doing. I have a question concerning this issue - I don't have enough space under my porch to park so sometimes have to park outside under the sun. Since I don't drive that much, I though perhaps I could cover the car parked outside to prevent further damage (one other car had cracked dash from prolonged sun exposure).

However, I did some reading up on this and on some forums, other car owners say do not use car covers due to trapped humidity and if forced to then to use some light, 'breathable' material to preserve the paint. But these are usually overseas forums and although there is some logic to it, I was wondering what options I have locally since our humidity is higher and the effects of long term use of car covers would be much worse.

Thanks in advance.

dr_snape_79

500 RPM
Sep 10, 2006
Perak
So, based on our Malaysia weather, how we need to preserve our car paint if we need to park our car outside of our pouch? If car cover will damage our car paint, so what material can use to preserve our car paint?

flabby

Known Member
May 8, 2009
I am interested in knowing whats best to protect the car. Even tho my car is parked under the porch but the sunlight still get to the back of the car (trunks etc). Was thinking of getting a car cover (gtroc) as pimpin would have if it wasnt this thread.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
So, based on our Malaysia weather, how we need to preserve our car paint if we need to park our car outside of our pouch? If car cover will damage our car paint, so what material can use to preserve our car paint?
few ways extend the protective porch - if possible

park side way -

wash weekly & wax regularly

our paint is suppose to last a life time - just imagine this the usual apple we eat averagely is about 3-4 months old - as it came with the chiller container - thru shipping - store for another month or 2 before sold & we buy & keep another 1 month -

what is the different between apple and mango or papaya - durian (durability of storage) apple a ripen apple can store for months but not the above mention fruits(even their skin is thicker)

the secret lies behind is WAX.....

even car manufacture recommend u to wax regularly (as frequent as u get yr engine oil change)

I am interested in knowing whats best to protect the car. Even tho my car is parked under the porch but the sunlight still get to the back of the car (trunks etc). Was thinking of getting a car cover (gtroc) as pimpin would have if it wasnt this thread.

try waxing it monthly & washing it weekly even if it is not driven , as rain water contain acid stains ya

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

[PIMPIN];1063553176 said:
Hi kc2,

Firstly I have to say great blog, been reading it off and on when you work on cars that interest me and I have to say kudos for all the sharing of knowledge you've been doing. I have a question concerning this issue - I don't have enough space under my porch to park so sometimes have to park outside under the sun. Since I don't drive that much, I though perhaps I could cover the car parked outside to prevent further damage (one other car had cracked dash from prolonged sun exposure).

However, I did some reading up on this and on some forums, other car owners say do not use car covers due to trapped humidity and if forced to then to use some light, 'breathable' material to preserve the paint. But these are usually overseas forums and although there is some logic to it, I was wondering what options I have locally since our humidity is higher and the effects of long term use of car covers would be much worse.

Thanks in advance.
less is more

whether breathable or not...the moment u place it on it yr paint - is creates frictions & after some time it will be abrasive

your clear coat suppose to last a car life time

try washing weekly & waxing monthly for the next quarter

[PIMPIN]

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
few ways extend the protective porch - if possible

park side way -

wash weekly & wax regularly

our paint is suppose to last a life time - just imagine this the usual apple we eat averagely is about 3-4 months old - as it came with the chiller container - thru shipping - store for another month or 2 before sold & we buy & keep another 1 month -

what is the different between apple and mango or papaya - durian (durability of storage) apple a ripen apple can store for months but not the above mention fruits(even their skin is thicker)

the secret lies behind is WAX.....

even car manufacture recommend u to wax regularly (as frequent as u get yr engine oil change)

try waxing it monthly & washing it weekly even if it is not driven , as rain water contain acid stains ya

---------- Post added at 02:12 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

less is more

whether breathable or not...the moment u place it on it yr paint - is creates frictions & after some time it will be abrasive

your clear coat suppose to last a car life time

try washing weekly & waxing monthly for the next quarter
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So you're advice is to not bother with the cover and just keep up regular washing and waxing and this should be good enough to counter the effects of being parked outside?

One more thing, how about damage like dashboard cracking, etc? I mean for the windscreen can use those blinds but then I can't cover all windows either can I?

Thanks! :driver:

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
[PIMPIN];1063554634 said:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So you're advice is to not bother with the cover and just keep up regular washing and waxing and this should be good enough to counter the effects of being parked outside?

One more thing, how about damage like dashboard cracking, etc? I mean for the windscreen can use those blinds but then I can't cover all windows either can I?

Thanks! :driver:
yupp

you car has the best coating which is called clear coat. so take care of it - u will goes a long way

try to use sunshade
, as for me i used alot of them

better to put on an uv protective coat like leather protectant

apaitubulan

Known Member
Jan 21, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
what about glass coating/nano technology?
it comes with 5 years warranty...but my question is the glass coating are suitable with Malaysia weather? or it will crack after certain years???

ShowTime

Known Member
Jun 3, 2011
KL
what about glass coating/nano technology?
it comes with 5 years warranty...but my question is the glass coating are suitable with Malaysia weather? or it will crack after certain years???
To my opinion, nothing lasts forever if no maintenance. Even with maintenance, it just slows down the process. Lets take for example the coating mostly talk in this forum... Optimum Opti Coat. Its a permanent coating sitting on top of the clear coat. Thicker than wax in microns(paint thickness). If left unmaintained then it will fail. For example you just got your car coated with any form of coating be it glass coating, quartz...etc. When you park your ride outside and you got bird poo/tree sap on paintwork, it must get removed as soon as you see it. Left untreated & it will etched into the coating & requires compounding/polishing for removal. Coating/waxes acts as a shield to slow down the etching. But it will still etched into the paintwork sooner or later. Best remove such contamination in less than 12 hours maximum.

I always keep a bottle of Optimum Opti Clean in my bag(can't store in car when parking in the sun or risk spoiling the product) & a microfiber cloth handy as I no longer practice the tissue+water technique. :biggrin:

After coating, your ride still needs to go through normal maintenance such as washing with pH Neutral shampoo, claying...etc.

The saying goes "Frequent car care is easy car care".

Last edited:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Market place can but not in forum, moreover this is auto detailing thread.....lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

yesterday my GF car windows was smashed on the driver side. item lost is some coins,cd player,cds.
happened in sg chua area(behind Venus) according to resident there ,few car in the area received the same fate
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience