evo7 loud vibrating sound during rain

putraevolution3

Sep 16, 2008
dear evo 7,8 or 9 owners,

I encounter really loud vibrating sound from while accelerating in the rain..the sound comes from engine bay or the wheel...(im not too sure)...BUT....accelerating same place on dry sunny day...no sound or vibration AT ALL.....

Have u guys encounter this b4?would it be drive shaft??engine problem...4 wheel drive problem?gearbox problem?:idea:
Please advise....

damme boring driving in the rain...:confused:

greenmivec

Known Member
Nov 10, 2005
Did you changed the ACD ?

I think i had that sounds too when i change from tarmac to gravel during raining when i drove up to cameron highland...but when i changed it backmto tarmac no more sounds.

I believe it is the ACD

U

Unregistered

hey bro...thanks for the advise. let me wait for the rain and try....
i never change the ACD setting before. Always tarmac mode.
But its kinda weird how come the ACD can vibrate violently..............

so bro....are u stil facing the same problem whenever it rains?
or you have send to mechanic to rectify this problem completely?

lalu

Known Member
Dec 20, 2008
Water splash which may cause the exhaust pipe/flange to rub against the longshaft perhaps? Try to rotate the shaft by hand and see if it touches anything. That if the noise is relative to speed. The long shaft is fine, don't get confused. Just a thought tho.

Last edited:

carent9

Known Member
Dec 30, 2009
Selangor
I suspect tht it may be your center box might be spoilt. How long ago was it changed? I found the same problem if I rev hard during rain. But when it is dry, then ok... Gear stick also vibrates like crazy...

Last edited:

rumitech_global

Known Member
Jun 11, 2010
melaka
i oso encounter sama prob, during hard rain my evo 7 will produce scary sound like broken bearing without grease oil... i notice that sound come from below of my evo 7, sometimes i think come from the pulley area in engine bay but sometimes i think the sound come from long shaft or maybe from the 4wd transfer box area....the truth is i dont know where the sound came from.... when in dry whether there will no sound at all, all smooth n clear .....dear cifu please advice what to do.... i encounter this prob nearly 1 year n havent resolved this matter....tq

putraevolution3

Sep 16, 2008
Hmmpphhh..guess
like rumitech facing some problem...me worst!!! I face this problem like almost 3 years. Yupp..the weird sound seems to come from pulley engine bay area..or sometimes like from de longsh:..pls advise any sifus who knows abt tis problem...really malu drive in de rain

carent9

Known Member
Dec 30, 2009
Selangor
What i faced on my car was tht the center box internals were damaged.. So, when the water hit it, the contraction causes the vibration.. And it feels like gear box got problem.. This happens only when revving above 3k rpm during rain..

putraevolution3

Sep 16, 2008
Hi Carent,

Thanks for the advise...hmmppphh...let me recall...yuppp...pretty similar symptom. BUT only difference my gear stick is perfectly normal...no vibration at all even during rain or sunny day...
pretty weird though..........yeah...when i revv hard in rain...vibrate like hell

BTW, worst case....do u mind sharing how much is the damage ($) to repair or change the gearbox internals?

I wonder...if subaru's faces such problem

kampoon

1,000 RPM
Mar 4, 2006
Cari Evo XXt maybe he can help..............

ron88

Apr 19, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i encounter the same problem during rain also and even when i stop my car...vibration and squek sound below my gear stick ...i am not sure what is the problem also but i went to my workshop and check....my gearbox oil is leaking....not sure whether is my gearbox or something else.......the vibration and sound comes only when it rains..

rumitech_global

Known Member
Jun 11, 2010
melaka
wah so many ppl having same problem with their evo during rainy day..... i dont think mind have prob with 4wd transfer box coz just replace the gearbox.... if gearbox prob it will make sound everytime and last time happens to me with the whinnningg sound during accelerate... any cifu can help to solve this matter....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Quick question... How do you remove the Proton logo from the back of the car without scratching the paintwork?

Thanks...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience