Evo 1/2/3 OEM shocks+springs

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
hi guys,

just wanted to see if anyone has used the evo1/2/3 oem absorbers + springs before? im looking to convert my wira GSR back to "comfortable-like-stock standard" cos ive got a baby on the way...been using adjustables for many yrs, and its time to change...

so i've asked around, and got mixed opinions, which got me all confused...i wanna go back to the stock standard comfort level, dont bother about performance anymore...so obviously oem is the way to go...question is, which oem shocks+springs?

my foreman suggested to go for either mitsu oem 1.6 or 1.8 (mivec/mirage or gsr) setup, and he says 1.6 & 1.8 are the same...i imagined 1.8 would have a different damping rate or spring stiffness since the engines are different in weight...blur....

then i asked a fren who sells performance parts...he recommended me to go for evo oem setup...and he says 1.8 GSR and evo1/2/3 are exactly the same in terms of the damping and stiffness...double blur....the oni concern he mentioned is that using the evo setup in wira GSR may be too high for my liking - possibly more than 4 fingers gap between wheel & fender...i've even checked the kerb weight of both GSR & evo, quite similar but evo is ~50kg heavier so i suppose evo setup can still be used...

i know the best would be to use back GSR oem setup, but it is hard to come by...evo plenty available...

im still in limbo what set to change, anyone have experience or advise?

thanx in advance...

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
stick to your adjustable...just change front spring rate into 5-4k rate and rear 4-3k rate... i saw in mudah ppl selling adjustable spring abour rm150 for 2pcs...should be pretty decent price instead of replacing the whole absorber setup...

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
Thanx for the advise bro...but wouldnt that cause the absorbers to kong vr fast? I imagine it would cos of the mis-match between abs & spring rates?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Thanx for the advise bro...but wouldnt that cause the absorbers to kong vr fast? I imagine it would cos of the mis-match between abs & spring rates?
nope. If you downgrade your spring rate it won't spoil anything. It'll just make it softer. Probably would be your cheapest and easiest solution.

But if you want to revert back to stock, get Wira absorbers from Kayaba and Wira 1.6 springs. The 1.6 and 1.8 springs are the same, the absorbers are the same too, but 1.5 and 1.3 are higher. The spring cup holder is higher so don't opt for those even though damping is about the same.

If you have the budget the Wira SE springs go quite well with the Wira 1.5 absorbers. With the 1.6/1.8 abs it'll be too low.

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
thanks for your comments Izso...if i change my adjustable springs to say front 5k & rear 3k, will i get stock standard comfort level?

not that im looking to change to stock oem absorbers + springs, i just wanna get back the stock comfort level...and if i can achieve that by just changing my adjustable springs, then i guess that would be much cheaper...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
thanks for your comments Izso...if i change my adjustable springs to say front 5k & rear 3k, will i get stock standard comfort level?

not that im looking to change to stock oem absorbers + springs, i just wanna get back the stock comfort level...and if i can achieve that by just changing my adjustable springs, then i guess that would be much cheaper...
I used to use HLSH 6k 4k and there's no way you'll get stock comfort. It'll be comfortable but still harder than stock. Only stock is as comfortable as stock. adjustables with 5k3k might be softer than your current setup but it'll still be harder than stock, but more comfortable la. Stick with 5k3k la. Your baby might enjoy the bumpiness. Just don't let him/her get used to it, later everytime he/she cry you have burn petrol to drive the baby out. hahahaha

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
Hahah...my wife isnt complaining abt my harsh ride..actually its just me worried it might not b good for the baby bouncing about in my wife's tummy..

Understand ur point dat oni stock is as comfortable as stock..im currently using hwl hlsh body shift..i think the springs r 8k 5k..the code printed on the springs are:
Front: 200-80-62/70L
Rear: 220-50-62/70L
Correct me if im wrong but i interpret the 200/220 as the spring length in mm, and the 80/50 as 8kg & 5kg, and the 62 as the spring diameter in mm...no idea wat 70L stands for tho...

I also read in another forum dat evoX stock spring is oni 3.5kg front & 2+ to 3+kg rear...so if my interpretation is right on my hwl spring code, then damn, ive got stiff springs!!

Perhaps i shud go wif 4k 3k setup to get as close as possible to stock?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah that would soften the car quite significantly. What I personally found in my Wira A/B last time 5k front 3k rear is a liiiiiiiiiittle bit stiffer than normal. So if you went 4k3k I think it'll be just nice. And personally, if you do 4k3k, drive slower la. Wife pregnant mah :biggrin:

Congrats dude on the upcoming baby

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hahah...my wife isnt complaining abt my harsh ride..actually its just me worried it might not b good for the baby bouncing about in my wife's tummy..

Understand ur point dat oni stock is as comfortable as stock..im currently using hwl hlsh body shift..i think the springs r 8k 5k..the code printed on the springs are:
Front: 200-80-62/70L
Rear: 220-50-62/70L
Correct me if im wrong but i interpret the 200/220 as the spring length in mm, and the 80/50 as 8kg & 5kg, and the 62 as the spring diameter in mm...no idea wat 70L stands for tho...

I also read in another forum dat evoX stock spring is oni 3.5kg front & 2+ to 3+kg rear...so if my interpretation is right on my hwl spring code, then damn, ive got stiff springs!!

Perhaps i shud go wif 4k 3k setup to get as close as possible to stock?
yes u were correct about lettering on the springs...

last time my wife preggy my adjustable was on 6k front 4k rear on 1.6 satria....a bit hard...but not dangerously harsh...drive with more carefull :driver:

Yeah that would soften the car quite significantly. What I personally found in my Wira A/B last time 5k front 3k rear is a liiiiiiiiiittle bit stiffer than normal. So if you went 4k3k I think it'll be just nice. And personally, if you do 4k3k, drive slower la. Wife pregnant mah :biggrin:

Congrats dude on the upcoming baby

iszo....u still have the same setup? wanna swap with me tak??? 6k/4k setting :listen:

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
thanx Izso & pomen... :biggrin:

Izso, were u using the 5k 3k setup on adjustables? dont know if it makes a difference between coilovers and shock+spring combo...but what i understand is adjustable coilovers will always be harder than the regular setup combo...dats why i prefer going for the paling amat terlembut sekali springs...hehehe...

also, what engine were u running on? given the exact same suspension setup, i wud imagine a 1.5 car wud react differently compared to a 1.8 cos of the different engine weight??

another question...can i swap my rear springs to the front? its 20mm longer, so i was wondering if its ok to use in the front...if can use, then i just need to buy 3kg springs for the rear...damn im stingy...heheh..

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

Izso, were u using the 5k 3k setup on adjustables? dont know if it makes a difference between coilovers and shock+spring combo...but what i understand is adjustable coilovers will always be harder than the regular setup combo...dats why i prefer going for the paling amat terlembut sekali springs...hehehe...

also, what engine were u running on? given the exact same suspension setup, i wud imagine a 1.5 car wud react differently compared to a 1.8 cos of the different engine weight??

another question...can i swap my rear springs to the front? its 20mm longer, so i was wondering if its ok to use in the front...if can use, then i just need to buy 3kg springs for the rear...damn im stingy...heheh..
yes u can...usually those adjustable have universal springs...can interchange between gab,hwl and many others as well as front-rear swap...just different length...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
iszo....u still have the same setup? wanna swap with me tak??? 6k/4k setting :listen:
Dah jual la. And this was an old set from way back then.

Erm. Why would you want to put in taller springs in front? I guess if it fits then fine. If it doesn't, you're gonna compress the springs meaning it'll be harsh.

I was using 5k3k on adjustables. Hehehe.. but final setup was 6k4k la. That's still more ideal for me. But comfort is subjective.

wildboar

500 RPM
Jun 24, 2004
Penang
Visit site
Erm. Why would you want to put in taller springs in front? I guess if it fits then fine. If it doesn't, you're gonna compress the springs meaning it'll be harsh.

I was using 5k3k on adjustables. Hehehe.. but final setup was 6k4k la. That's still more ideal for me. But comfort is subjective.
cos my current rear springs are 220mm 5kg, so i just need to swap them to the front, no need to buy another set of 5kg springs lo...

my adjustables are body shift, i think 220mm will still fit without compressing the springs...this i gotta ask the shop that i bought them from to confirm...

what engine were u running on ur 5k 3k setup bro?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
A much lighter 4G15 with mods bro. Front was still kinda stiff with 5k front. So your heavier engine should be 'softer'

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i going to install sitc in my car but cannot find the manual on the net
anyone can help:adore:
running on 4g93p
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience