Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
It was too loose last time. So it vibrates and screwed up the thread. Foreman used helicoil but i think they used wrong thread pitch as it was still hard to thread in after. After about 10 times in and out, its gone again. Now I just chase the thread and use it for now. Losing compression as it escapes through the threads.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
One more screw up DIY i did recently;
I decided to replace the old wiring conduit in the engine bay of my waja. Whichever i can reach i just replace as its perished. Only area wrapped with wiring tape survived since 2002.

While 'gently' cutting the old conduit, i cut a wire going to one of the coil plug...damn..

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I am f*"ked up here.....
Here how it goes..
My waja has been leaking engine oil from the valve cover for quite some time. I havent did anything until today as it seems like complicated..the valve cover is under the intake. After confirming the cover does not use any gasket and reading the service manual couple of time i decided to fix it..after all, its just a valve cover..how hard can it be right?

I started at about 8 pm today, removing the airbox, plug coil connector and loosing all the intake manifold bolts. The intake still refuses to move to i proceed to removed a plastic part which sits between the air filter and the throttle body. Still the intake stay put. Peeking behing the engine reveales 2 bolt which holds the throttle body and after removing them, finally the intake manifold free itself. Below is the parts..on the right is the intake manifold, on the left is the parts between the air filter and throttle body;
IMG_20210102_211858.jpg

Finally the valve cover is exposed...This is the time all of us thinks...how hard can it be?
IMG_20210102_211841.jpg

The manual and online video showed that the oil seperator must be removed first as there are additional valve cover bolts under them...this is getting easier...
IMG_20210102_212459.jpg

After loosing 1000 bolts ( 24 to be exact ), i pry it open and it pop loose. Dont worry i pry it at some area which seems to be designed for prying the cover open. As i try to lift it...its stuck at something. I checked multiple times and could not figure out what does it stuck too....i wanted to reinstall it but risk worst leak as the cover has already been lifted and whatever sealant/gasket maker was there might be damaged....I am F**ked...

Reactions: Izso

mosesmk

Known Member
Feb 21, 2012
Selangor
I am f*"ked up here.....
Here how it goes..
My waja has been leaking engine oil from the valve cover for quite some time. I havent did anything until today as it seems like complicated..the valve cover is under the intake. After confirming the cover does not use any gasket and reading the service manual couple of time i decided to fix it..after all, its just a valve cover..how hard can it be right?

I started at about 8 pm today, removing the airbox, plug coil connector and loosing all the intake manifold bolts. The intake still refuses to move to i proceed to removed a plastic part which sits between the air filter and the throttle body. Still the intake stay put. Peeking behing the engine reveales 2 bolt which holds the throttle body and after removing them, finally the intake manifold free itself. Below is the parts..on the right is the intake manifold, on the left is the parts between the air filter and throttle body;
View attachment 579522

Finally the valve cover is exposed...This is the time all of us thinks...how hard can it be?
View attachment 579524

The manual and online video showed that the oil seperator must be removed first as there are additional valve cover bolts under them...this is getting easier...
View attachment 579525

After loosing 1000 bolts ( 24 to be exact ), i pry it open and it pop loose. Dont worry i pry it at some area which seems to be designed for prying the cover open. As i try to lift it...its stuck at something. I checked multiple times and could not figure out what does it stuck too....i wanted to reinstall it but risk worst leak as the cover has already been lifted and whatever sealant/gasket maker was there might be damaged....I am F**ked...
Campeo engine?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I am f*"ked up here.....

View attachment 579525

1609600564072.png

You mentioned 24 bolts. What about the 2 at the sides?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
View attachment 579526
You mentioned 24 bolts. What about the 2 at the sides?
I've checked again this morning..all have been removed;
1 on the left in the pic where it holds the cover to the cam sprocket cover.
1 on the right which hold the air resonator bracket. The bracket is hold using 2 bolt but only one is on the valve cover.

Something is not right here as i cant even put it back on.there is a few mm gap.

Worst case i might have to dive further by removing the cam sprocket cover which i doubt will help as the cover can be lifted but cant be removed.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I watched a youtube video where a botak Russian just removes 24 bolts and lifted it right up

I watched the same video too.
Guess what...the valve cover is holding the camshaft too. Not sure how that works but the camshaft was lifted at the opposite end from the cam sprocket. I think the camshaft journal is built into the rocker cover. i try tighten the bolt back and the camshaft is back in its place. I will reinstall back everything ( only managed to clean the intake manifold and oil seperator cover).

Waiting for annual bonus and will send it to workshop for timing belt change plus re glue the valve cover. Lucky i got a new set of timing belt cheap from a guy whom totalled his engine and decided not to repair the renault engine. Too risky for me to diy the timing belt change as it require special tool to hold both camshaft, vvt pulley, and crankshaft during the process. No marking whatsoever on the engine.

I admitted defeat this time.....this engine is way out of my capability.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi,dear all

My Lancer Gt is giving me a big headache! While I'm driving the brake warning display 'Check!' will come out on and off and it makes my cd player went off for second. Did anyone here experienced this before?I send to few different workshops to check but different technicians told me different things! I really need some advice now~
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience