Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

amrancharger

500 RPM

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
drop a screw into d engine bay & end up buying a new 1.. hoho
same like me...always drop a screw..

sometimes it would take me all day and nite to try and find it back!
was suppose to be an easy task... :banghead:
even when changing battery i will drop a screw.huhuhu!

i tink a few parts in my car is less one screw cuz couldnt find the same size anywhere to replace it.

The part without screw now as i remember:
door panel, meter, skirting.... :driver:

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
1st time flushing my radiator. Open the hose clamp with plyer (not the screw type of hose clamp). Everythings goes fine until at time i want to install everythings back. Then notice that the hose clamp once u open, the radius will become smaller and the plyer gripping part become bigger. Now my pyler can reach it. Already 8pm. Walk to hardware shop almost 3km go n back and buy grip-plyer. Luckly the hardware shop uncle still not close his shop.

blackcolour

Known Member

blackcolour

Known Member
Nov 2, 2012
sarawak
haha.. read through all sifu comment make me feel like scary... my friend story. he tried to change his rim from 4 screws to 5 screws sport rim. he took off the back and done it nicely. we take a rest and smoke. after smoke we went for front rim. doing the first front rim we got an problem how we gonna fit that thing into a totally different type. so end up we use hammer to ham it and make it to fit in, ok all things done. now is time for the tyre to put in.after put in the tyre we saw that we forgot to put back the brake dics.. LOL and we open everything out and our screw driver was get killed while we doing just now. my friend keep screw it try to open back. end up all 4 screws broken, and changed the whole things. =.='' next time do things must think carefully.. keke

mouse8899

Known Member

mouse8899

Known Member
Oct 28, 2012
petaling jaya
Worst thing also happened to me. DIY install oil filter relocation kit. Maybe I did not clamp the hose properly and end up hose burst and oil been poured onto extractor while driving.

After a while, the oil got too hot and fired. my half of engine bay was on fired. Stop at road side and Im totally freaking out. Then a hiway support van stop by to help but the fire extinguisher was empty. What the heck he was carrying empty fire extinguisher?

SO what should I do? DO I have to watch my can burnt on fire? No, I have to do something. I've grab floor carpet and slam it on the fire. Luckily the fire off. My whole body was shaking. I might loose my car that time. Thank to god.

I think, that's the biggest diy mistake I ever did. I also fried an ecu becoz of wrong wiring.
wow!! really scary!!

1st DIY was repainting the hood, sand the hood like hell for 2 nights (not free at day) walah!! sanded everything, so happy!! then spray paint matte black. 5 mins later bubbles coming up, i say F(*& liao la!!! had to strip everything off and do again. it was late already so decided to do tmrw, install the hood back on. went to work next day, cruising highway 90+km/h suddenly hood fly open... freaking big truck on my back honking like crazy...straight d-signal and slow down let the hood drop on its own...zzz now the hood bent in the middle... decided to sent to ketuk one off when repaint whole car.

2nd DIY change signal bulb. easy job no? opened the cover for the signal and twisted the bulb.. cant take out... twist n' twist again.. the bulb come out... but the kaki rusted stuck inside. ok nvm, take out the whole signal light. (2x10mm nuts at the back inside the long plastic bumper *KE70*) my front lip made the space very unconvinient. ended up 1 nut dropped inside the lip... which was impossible to fit my hand inside:banghead::banghead::banghead:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
That day when I was DIY installing grounding cables..I was unscrewing the bolt to the alternator earth. As it was damn tight, my wrench broke :biggrin: made in china punya wrench

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hehe.. this sure is an interesting read.

My 2nd story - I fitted calipers upside down resulting in super duper spongy brakes and really bad braking. After sitting down with a friend for hours troubleshooting and bleeding the damn brakes countless times we finally discovered the stupid mistake. Swapped the calipers left to right and vice versa and settle.

Now I can dismantle everything with my eyes closed. Lucky for me it wasn't an expensive lesson, could've crashed if the brakes failed.

D7zul

2,000 RPM

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
change spark plug cable..

put it wrongly.. no 1 put at no 4 cylinder.. and so on..

start engine.. couldn't start.. and a popping sound comes out of my exhaust.. haiya.. :banghead:

thank god nothing serious happen to my engine.. Alhamdulillah.. :biggrin:

amrancharger

500 RPM

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
on recent long weekend, i was tempted to clean my throttle body. :idea:
while dismantling the whole thing, suddenly i faced a stuck up.
i didnt manage to take out the screw holding the IACV.furthermore i ruin the head thread (bunga) of the screw when using brutal force. :banghead:

but i just went on to spray/clean the throttle body without cleaning that IACV sensor.

anyone have an idea on how to take out a bad screw?? :confused:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i didnt manage to take out the screw holding the IACV.furthermore i ruin the head thread (bunga) of the screw when using brutal force. :banghead:

but i just went on to spray/clean the throttle body without cleaning that IACV sensor.

I once saw a mechanic sprayed lubricant then knock the side of the body the screw is mounted on, gently. I guess it is to slightly dislodge the grip of the screw. Not so sure. Might work though?

amrancharger

500 RPM

amrancharger

500 RPM
Jul 19, 2006
I once saw a mechanic sprayed lubricant then knock the side of the body the screw is mounted on, gently. I guess it is to slightly dislodge the grip of the screw. Not so sure. Might work though?
this i dun dare to try since the sensor is plastic.
guess i haf to bring it to my mech and get a good lecture 1st...hahahaha!

es2611

500 RPM

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006

bro. try spray some WD40 and use grip pliers if and only if the space is big enough.
if the space is too small.. try use the long nose type.

i ruined alot of thread due to rust or over tighten. make sure it is a good quality grip pliers.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
this i dun dare to try since the sensor is plastic.
guess i haf to bring it to my mech and get a good lecture 1st...hahahaha!
Even though the body the mechanic knocked is metal, he just tapped it gently. To be safe bro, better let your mechanic do it haha

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM
May 7, 2008
Johor Bahru
Bought a cheap RM60 2 tonne jack from Giant. On the second use, wanted to change oil filter, during jacking on the front right side of the car, it collapsed and scratch the under carriage and door.

Cost me RM500 to get the car fixed and another RM450 to buy a proper hydraulic jack.

Till now, it's the most f**ked-up decision ever made in my life.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, please help me, yesterday I was changing my old rusa engine oil after 5k run, but found that the oil b4 change has lost alot, its at the middle of "full" n "low" level which is not usual for me, it seems like leak of sumthing, so i found the bottom part of the engine soak wif oil, n have strong smell of petrol everytime i stoped my engine.
So is it the engine casket leaking? or what cause the engine oil consumption.
Btw, why my van have heavy petrol smell after the engine stop, this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience