Ever tried a simple DIY then causing a major F**K UP! .... Share you stories

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
Every DIY guy is a mechanic wannabe waiting for trouble i must say :biggrin: including myself...haha

I can say I been victim of simple jobs gone wrong many,many times....

Have you ever spent hours on fixing a major F*ck UP for something that should of taken 10mins to fix in the first place?

But we are a determined lot....never giving up even if it means sacrificing sleep, food & money....haha, To send to a workshop to mend our faults would mean to admit defeat!!

So why don't we share our experiences as a reminder for DIY newbies the hazards of DIY....:stoned:

I'll start with my story of a stupid F*ck Up that happened last night....

My Air cond fan has been acting up lately, it hasn't "kong" yet, just the occasionally it doest turn on when its suppose to....So I decided to check the relay and switch....the thing is I didnt actually know which relay/switch controlled it. So I started pulling out relays to see which would activate the fan...so eventually found it (i think it was it)....then I had the bright idea of jumping the relay socket to test the fan, so i jumped the relay socket without knowing which pins to jump (bcoz in my mind i said worst thing that could happen is burnt fuse) by using the "try try method".

When a "pop" sound came accompanied by smoke, all I could say was " Oh F*ck! I did it again". My whole A/C was dead along with the blower fan and A/C console lights....Upon inspection, my misdeeds had caused a wire under the engine fusebox to burn and split.....luckily it was only one wire and didn't contact the other wires.

So I had to take out the batter, remove the fuse box, reconnect the wire, tape everything back up, Install back again.....tested again...only to find out the A/C was still dead!....

This is when you need to chill, have a smoke:smokin: and take a breather to think....

After that quick break, I suddenly realized i haven't checked the indoor fusebox...
So I went to check only to see the diagram was written in Japanese...:banghead: , I was too lazy too pull out one by one to check....so that's where the miracle of the internet was a real time saver.....did a quick search found an english version...found the destroyed fuse, luckily having a spare one around...

Before the next test, said some prayers.....and PRESTO!!:rock: VICTORY!! everything was working fine again....

3 hours down the drain..

Moral of story...." If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it"

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
No horror stories as your, as when it comes to car electrics.. I rather get ripped by the shop on the charges than fry my cars wiring.

Only problem I seem to have during EVERY DIY I do is... dropping screws/bolts/nuts.. sometimes dropping them into places where I cant retrieve. That sucks.

Also, recently tinted my headlamp lenses (glass), and I manage to drop it so it shattered.. good thing there is someone kind enough to give me a spare for free =D

As with most DIY's.. I find it good to have the internet by our side so you can look things up when you run into trouble.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I know what you mean bro... Guys will always be guys yo... LONG LIVE DIYers!!!!

lan evo

3,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
theres not horror at all:rofl:

mine
changed radiator on evo4,didn clamp lower radiator hose probably.only notice temp high when aircond was hot.ended up changing whole cylinder head

install vafc on integra dc2,ended up check light came up

neohadri

Known Member
Jul 5, 2008
forgot to put washer when tightening the oil sump bolt during DIY oil change, the same afternoon i noticed some oil dripping on my car porch floor , lo & behold, there i saw my washer lying on the floor, sent to workshop & the guy change my bolt to longer one, problem solve.

During DIY soundproofed my driver's door, put too much insuflex & end up fxxk up my door lock mechanism.

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
nice thread here.

cant agree more with bro Excel. Drop a nut after servicing TB.. 20 mins job became 2 hours just to find that bloody thing.

yeehau86

Helmet Clan
Feb 10, 2007
DIY gear console
Open the console box (the arm rest and handbrake whole thing) to change the bulb color of the gear console, just left with one screw after assembling everything back to its position end up the last screw dropped deep down that I have to take out everything again and squeeze my hand in the small gaps to retrieve back. Doing double job instead of one.

DIY aircond panel
Open the aircond panel to change the bulb color, too bad the aftermarket bulbs aren't 100% fit therefore have to do trial and error while tightening it at the aircond circuit board. Take out the panel, tighten the bulb and assemble it back to the socket.......repeated the process for more than 20 times to get each and every bulb working.

DIY cabin filter
Took a cutter to make a hole in the plastic where the blower is located, squeeze out almost every drop of my energy to cut out the shape (as the plastic is hard) for the cabin filter bracket to fit in, end up after a recent project the aircond blower already comes with a cabin filter!

bo093

Jul 6, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
DIY changing fuel filter of Hyundai Getz.
Spend more than a day why can't start.
Long story short.
They didn't provide new O-rings. Had to use the old ones, which didn't came off from the old fuel filter and it was hiding.

peterj

1,000 RPM
Apr 27, 2010
Kuching
here are some of my DIY that more easier to be listed:smokin:

DIY oil change, but angle not cun when collecting the oil, oil spilled on the floor and my face.....

DIY changing IMP cross drilled and slotted rotors on hyundai getz, end up the fucking seller sell me not exactly for the getz, end up braking heavy vibrating when braking since it fit loosely and my rim cant tighten(tire nuts are too short after install since the middle cone of the rotor so thick, not like oem size)..complained to the seller end up he claimed the company cant change cause it been use dy....so i change back to stock rotor and rm6xx racing rotor become rusty metal in the store room...

DIY 1st time flushing radiator system of my honda eg, water stopper at the radiator is aged and need the white tape, put a lot of white tape at the stopper's thread like doing plumber work,still leaking, repeat few times,still leak, called mechanic friend, learned that not the thread need white tape, is the ring at the tip need white tape, put white tap to the plastic sealing ring,leaking no more.......2nd time,end up forgot to release the air , lucky got notice the water temp rised , shut it down directly, let it cooled and release the air....lucky no damage to engine.....

DIY changing evo 4 Cold start valve (bought a recond TB) .... wrong force, impatient and use the unsuitable screw driver caused the screw head loose.... lucky the whole recond TB are in good condition,. so just change whole.... but after changed, forgot the fit the throttle position sensor, and i got no short little screw driver, and a 8mm spanner(tight engine bay), so i reopen whole tb to adjust, but still cant since it is still not in position....open tb again, lucky got mark on old tps, follow back the mark, it is good to go.....whole process that can be done in one hour(open up water hose at cold start valve, sensors wires and nuts), i finished it almost 4 hours...damn

conclusion, DIY is a very risking and time consuming ( but save labour fees) way to go for your car if you dunno much car knowledge, however, the thing u learned during DIY will be imprinted on ur brain and priceless......just make sure carefully done and not harming ur car if can...

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Nice thread here..well not my DIY, my friend bought a set of new silicon wipers and would try to DIY to install. Ended up dint know how to install the wipers and rung me for help...caused me to roll on the floor laugh and kept saying wtf wiper u also duno how to change ar? Been driving car for more than freaking 10 years

My own DIY, not much problem so far coz simple DIY but often has not enough tools or dont have the suitable tool..so gotta improvise and waste more time

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
To be frank most of my DIY will screw up somehow or another...

Ive given up DIY years ago....

Only interested in simple gardening DIY, nothing more complicated!

Each time my DIY task screwed up, i felt like im asking for the pain in the ess!

Rather ride a bicycle, a motorbike, or a... "you know who!"

hahahaa.....

aalto

Known Member
Dec 31, 2004
The things we would go through to save a couple of bucks...haha:rofl:

But I can say that, the knowledge you get from doing DIY can be really helpful when facing a breakdown...
I've faced 3-4 situations where I have avoided calling a tow truck by using simple DIY quick fixes to limp back to the workshop..

A true DIYer will always have his trusted toolbox inside the car...:biggrin:

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Nice thread here..well not my DIY, my friend bought a set of new silicon wipers and would try to DIY to install. Ended up dint know how to install the wipers and rung me for help...caused me to roll on the floor laugh and kept saying wtf wiper u also duno how to change ar? Been driving car for more than freaking 10 years
Typical car owner this. Same goes with changing to a spare wheel.. they have no clue.:stupid:

Only interested in simple gardening DIY, nothing more complicated!
:rofl::rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The things we would go through to save a couple of bucks...haha:rofl:

But I can say that, the knowledge you get from doing DIY can be really helpful when facing a breakdown...
I've faced 3-4 situations where I have avoided calling a tow truck by using simple DIY quick fixes to limp back to the workshop..

A true DIYer will always have his trusted toolbox inside the car...:biggrin:
"couple of bucks"?

Dude, DIY can save you hundreds! A brake pad change for example - Pads RM50 at the spare parts shop, DIY install and everything - FOC. At the shop it'll cost you minimally RM100. Then oil change RM30 workmanship is saved and you don't have to pay tax because of the workmanship, then getting the oil yourself means it's cheaper than buying off the workshop, oil filters cost RM8 instead of RM15, ATF change save a helluva lot too.

DIY is the way to go! Only time DIY isn't that easy is engine transplating. That's more of a DIT (do it together) and hopefully someone in your 'team' has a cherry picker.

:biggrin:

My own f-up was installing the calipers reversed, couldn't get any brake pedal feel because of air bubbles.

And the last time I cleaned the TB I took out the airbox (Myvi) and forgot to reinstall the vacuum hoses back in. Damn that was a lot of carbon coming out of the exhaust.

allanlewis46

Mar 23, 2012
Johor Bahru
First time do oil change on iswara after 12 yrs sent to workshop for routine maintenance. Simple enuf but guess what, overtightened drain plug. Noob mistake. Can't tighten plug, engine oil leaking out, hav 2 sent back to my trusty mechanic to fix prob. Rethread hole, now no leak. I think he's still smilin...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

guys my fren was asking wher to get those goldust not approved one..he wants reli damn gold dat cannot see inside the car one..he is driving a satria and he wants to tint the front both sides driver and passengers .. rear he will tint black film..so any recommendations wher to get those reli gold tint film..he said if its possible hardly look inside the car as though u have tinted two layer of film..
pls state down the price and wher to get..as i know those shops wont have the tint film but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience