Engine refurbishing

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Hello Experts,

I am thinking of using a 2nd hand engine and refurbishing it to make it as efficient as a new engine.
I am thinking of a supra or Mr2 spider engine.

Is this possible and would it be more costly than buying a new car?

Does engine refurbishing, for lack of a better word, work?

regards
Richard Tan
:driver:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Something like overhaul eh? Stripping it down and replacing with new parts?
I don't think that it will be more expensive than a new car. Still toyota ma... Unless you don't just refurbish it but use performance parts such as Tomei, HKS and Toda stuff... TO know roughly the price, just ask for the price of a 1jz-gte (supra), 2jz-gte (supra) or 1zz-fed (MRS) overhaul kit from a spare parts shop. Then add it with the overhaul labour charge of your car (ask fro workshop). Then add in about RM2k for additional unseen problems that needs to be fixed (contingency).

Normally, the contingency charges won't be until 2k, but since you used the word "refurbish" and not overhaul, I guess you really want to pay attention to all the small small things and probably want to change into some performance parts as well...

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Dear Veloc

yes, I think you are right. The word should be 'overhaul'. I am considering to get a 2nd hand car and make it like brand new, so to speak. Of course, I do not expect 100% like new. Just to have a good reliable engine so as to not have problems with the 2nd hand car and to make it last for long time.

There is no point in getting a problematic car ma.

I am exploring this aspect and learning at the same time.

Thanks for letting me know that it can be cheaper alternative to get a second hand car.

"All cars on the road is 2nd hand car. haha!"
" Once owned, its no longer brand new. haha!"
"a 1 day old car is a 2nd hand car. haha!"
"save the planet"

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear Veloc

yes, I think you are right. The word should be 'overhaul'. I am considering to get a 2nd hand car and make it like brand new, so to speak. Of course, I do not expect 100% like new. Just to have a good reliable engine so as to not have problems with the 2nd hand car and to make it last for long time.

There is no point in getting a problematic car ma.

I am exploring this aspect and learning at the same time.

Thanks for letting me know that it can be cheaper alternative to get a second hand car.

"All cars on the road is 2nd hand car. haha!"
" Once owned, its no longer brand new. haha!"
"a 1 day old car is a 2nd hand car. haha!"
"save the planet"
I like your view about the 2nd hand car thing! Haha... So profound...
Well, about overhaul, it will cost thousands but not a bomb. Depends on what car. Toyota are okay... But in my place, KK, sabah, honda is quite costly. Some friends told me that honda prices in west are okay. Only in KK expensive. Not sure about that though.

About overhaul, there are usually 4 grades of overhaul kit. The performance, the original, the OEM, the taiwan/china.

I wouldn't recommend the china/taiwan ones la. Since you have to spend some amount, might as well make it last and worth it. I wouldn't recommend the original either because they sell it expensive just for having the carmaker's chop. The OEMs are reasonable. Performance are personal preferences.

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks sharing your view , Veloc

Besides being knowledgeable in cars, you also are philosophical.

hee hee.... agree, having money to buy fast cars does not mean a person is a good driver.
Being able to own a fast car does not mean one can handle it.
Driving a fast car does not mean he looks good in it.
Driving a fast car does not mean he can drive it properly.

oh no, i think writing all these is contagious. I cannot stop typing away.... ;)

Lets all drive safely and responsibly.

Cheers!

:driver:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
since u wanna overhaul ur engine, go and do engine balancing (if u got d budget) it will produce as much power as a new engine..

port polish everything inside..

Gudluck :burnout:

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks to D7zul and the rest who contributed. This site is awesome!
I think , port polishing sounds like what I am looking for.

Cheers!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

just to let u guys know that skunk2 fake intake manifold has arrive on our shore.
so for those potential buyer,be aware what u paid for.what i'm afraid of is some
of the shop pass it as genuine item.i'm not saying that they purposely sell u a fake
1 and claim it to be genuine but some of them doesn't even know how to tell the
different.that's not all,some of their supplier don't even bother to tell them.
for those of u who don't know how to differentiate between them,just look
at the vacuum...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience