Engine Oil Seeping from Rear Main Seal

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
In other words, it's getting cheaper for you :biggrin:
Well i have to be very sure of the similarity of both car make's parts. Don't want to put the wrong parts in a supposed premium car.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
What could possibly go wrong with an oil separator? So long as the bolts match, I dont see anything else.

What other parts do you mean ?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Well for the fun of it, I just checked from both stockist, one is Ford appointed and the other one is Volvo official stockist, just as i expected, it uber expensive to any "Volvo" parts even though sharing with Ford.
Of course...need to cover the cost to buy the parts from Ford, ship the part ( eg from US to Sweden ),design the Volvo sticker then pay people to stick the sticker, then only ship to u. Most of the time that Volvo sticker is pasted on top of the Ford sticker...hihihi.

Well at least u know where to get cheaper parts now for yr Volvo...and its not fron Volvo themself.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
What could possibly go wrong with an oil separator? So long as the bolts match, I dont see anything else.

What other parts do you mean ?
Some other parts like sensors, solenoid, gearbox clutches. These are the items i think i might need them in future.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Of course...need to cover the cost to buy the parts from Ford, ship the part ( eg from US to Sweden ),design the Volvo sticker then pay people to stick the sticker, then only ship to u. Most of the time that Volvo sticker is pasted on top of the Ford sticker...hihihi.

Well at least u know where to get cheaper parts now for yr Volvo...and its not fron Volvo themself.
Yeah true that, OEM from other car make is benefit in terms of cost cutting in R&D and manufacturing but burden us consumers. But in terms of modifications, what works for Ford also works for my V, the engine can be easily tweaked to unleash 220hp. Pretty beffy for a 1.6 Turbo.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Guys just to check,

For camshaft seals, how many are there for a typical inline 4 bangers? Are there any at the other end of the camshaft other than cam gear site ?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Guys just to check,

For camshaft seals, how many are there for a typical inline 4 bangers? Are there any at the other end of the camshaft other than cam gear site ?
Twincam got 2 at gear site. However some engine which require special tool to hold the camshaft in place (during repair or timing belt replacement ) got another 2 at the opposite like my F4P engine. On my engine, its a screw type plastic plug.

Reactions: parakey

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Twincam got 2 at gear site. However some engine which require special tool to hold the camshaft in place (during repair or timing belt replacement ) got another 2 at the opposite like my F4P engine. On my engine, its a screw type plastic plug.
I don't think a timing chain engine has cam gear seals no ?

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I don't think a timing chain engine has cam gear seals no ?
This part i dont quite understand. Regardless chain or belt, both have sprockets/gears that turns the camshafts. These shafts protudes outwards from engine head. So why wont timing chain driven heads have seals?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
This part i dont quite understand. Regardless chain or belt, both have sprockets/gears that turns the camshafts. These shafts protudes outwards from engine head. So why wont timing chain driven heads have seals?
Yes but engine with timing chain have the cam gear inside the engine as the chain needs to be lubrication thus no cam gear seal.

Maybe he can check the opposite side for the 'plug' but this plug does not leak easily. Mine is there since 2002 and 202k km. No leak. Last timing belt change my mech said its RM40 a piece...i was shocked until reality struck that i am driving a Renault engine.

My Pajero is on timing chain. No cam seals but there is 2 half moon rubber thing at the front (cam gear) and rear of the engine. Its there so we can access the cam gear bolt from the front and do whatever we want from the rear once the head is on a table.

Reactions: parakey

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yes but engine with timing chain have the cam gear inside the engine as the chain needs to be lubrication thus no cam gear seal.

Maybe he can check the opposite side for the 'plug' but this plug does not leak easily. Mine is there since 2002 and 202k km. No leak. Last timing belt change my mech said its RM40 a piece...i was shocked until reality struck that i am driving a Renault engine.

My Pajero is on timing chain. No cam seals but there is 2 half moon rubber thing at the front (cam gear) and rear of the engine. Its there so we can access the cam gear bolt from the front and do whatever we want from the rear once the head is on a table.
Can you show me approx where is the location of the rear engine half moon seal ? Cause i still don need believe that Volvo would do a lousy job when replacing the rear main seal.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Can you show me approx where is the location of the rear engine half moon seal ? Cause i still don need believe that Volvo would do a lousy job when replacing the rear main seal.
The pic below is the same engine in my pajero which is running timing chain. Notice the black piece where the cam cover meets the engine head. It got that seal at both end.
TB2NgN3ppXXXXXGXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!672515160.jpg

Below is the same engine in my waja which uses timing belt. At the bottom right view angle u can see 2 round black (one bigger than the other )seal/plug at the top portion of the engine. Its to be removed so that the camshaft can be held in place during timing belt replacement.
o1n2-f4p-770.jpg

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
That half moon, my 4G63T also have. Always need changing......lol
During early years of ownership of the Pajero i encounter the same thing. Mine was harder to trace as the engine is mounted longitudinally so and the rear end is soo close to the firewall thus searching for the leak is very difficult. After going few seal in few month i manage solve it once and for all after reading the instruction on the grey gasket maker tube.

The instruction says after reintalling the parts back, to tighten lightly and leave it for abt 2hrs before tightening it according to spec. I left it for 1/2 day. No more leak.
On the Pajero i only use the gasket maker at the half moon area. None is used along the valve cover gasket.

Most workshop dont wait as they need to get rid of the car ASAP so other car can come in for repair. The gasket maker if not let to set will be practically useless. Notice when we removes some engine parts which uses this grey gasket maker that some of the grey thing falls of easily. Some require scrapping.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

as the above topic...can these be done???how much roughly the cost???can fit easily??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience