Engine oil getting lesser

evo5229

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2005
KL/Kedah/Penang
gog kokeng....hehe...ya im talking about the sport air filter like cendawan lai det 1......sir fileter must use ler...if not the engine will be chuck...hehe

firaspark.....ya then izit the endine old d,.....some time engine too oold will makan engine oil....is ok lah now...chnage new engine d wor...so happy rite...jehehehhe

fluffy.....this is wat my mech tiold me la...but they also not 100% correct 1 lah...mech alway lie 2 ppl 1 mah...hehe.....but for my 2 cent....i think that if u used cheap air filter so the dirty things will go inside the engine n may be lai det makan engine oild kua.........

anyway must service accordingly for keeping a good car........sayang your car more....!!! cheer///hehe

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
got a question..

if the engine oil is already depleting (Getting low) b4 its time for our regular service, is it advisable to add in some more engine oil (the remaining from last service) ?

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
off course nitrus, we should take care the engines oil level
but the lube oil nowadays are really good, there are several times my oil level are low(below min), but no high temperature & no massive wear & tear !

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
jombiee said:
off course nitrus, we should take care the engines oil level
but the lube oil nowadays are really good, there are several times my oil level are low(below min), but no high temperature & no massive wear & tear !
ohh ok.. tnx..

but it's ok to add in the "fresh" engine oil (from our previous service) into our current engine ? like, mixing old n new oil together... hope u get wat i mean

jombiee

500 RPM
Feb 7, 2005
Ghombau
oo like that aa
I think can la bro, its to lubricate. as long as ur engine got its lubrication its fine.
just make sure its the same oil viscocity aka same type as ur previous one

nitrus

2,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2005
hehehe ok! :_:

yea i will add in with the same engine oil / same grade / same everything, from the same bottle from last service too, lol !!

firasparK

Known Member
Apr 15, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
evo5229 said:
gog kokeng....hehe...ya im talking about the sport air filter like cendawan lai det 1......sir fileter must use ler...if not the engine will be chuck...hehe

firaspark.....ya then izit the endine old d,.....some time engine too oold will makan engine oil....is ok lah now...chnage new engine d wor...so happy rite...jehehehhe
hahaha yaaa!!! my cendawan red colour de :emoticon_U:

nonameNo

Mar 23, 2006
before you overhaul the top engine, there are few ways to check whether your engine is "eating oil"...

1) Ask someone to rev your engine up to almost red line of RPM, then you stand behind and see whether there is black or white smoke coming out. Sometimes we cant see it when engine is idle.. but can see it when you accelerate.

2) Check the engine oil gasket (where you pour in the engine oil). Check the surround of the rubber - whether it is already worn out or not. Then check any leakage on the side of the gasket hole - on the engine.

3) Check the spark plug. Check whether there is any leakage on there.

4) Check the engine side... especially the top cover part. Check the surround whether there is leakage or not.

5) Park you car and check whether there is leakage of the engine oil on the floor. If yes, then there is leakage. If no, then the leakage might be minimal. Perhap the engine oil is dried up when you drive the car and the engine is hot...

If all above is not true, then only opt for overhaul. Overhaul doesnt mean need to change the piston ring. Sometimes the mechanic just want to trick you... since the engine already open, why not change it now?

mostly is the gasket that seal around the engine cover is already worn.... do a checkup and see.

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
nonameNo is correct with the tests above. Here's a few more:

Check your engine, if its dry top to bottom then you don't have an external oil leak. Conduct the above tests as nonameNo suggested though the revving to red line thing isn't really recommended with old cars cause its almost certain you're gonna see some kinda smoke coming out which doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong.

Another way oil can be escaping is thru your engine's breather system. Some people replace the breather with a small air filter. If this filter is covered with oil then you know where your leak is. If you have a original breather system then this will most certainly lead to your air filter box. Open up the air filter box and look inside, if there is any indication of oil then you know the oil is coming out of the breather pipe and into the air filter and then is taken back into the combustion chambers and burnt.

The above breather pipe mentioned is from the rocker cover. Not the crank breather assembly. The reason the breather pipes have oil coming thru is because the valve seals are leaking. This would mean a top overhaul at the least.

Another place oil can go though its somewhat uncommon would be to the clutch. There is an oil seal that is mounted between the clutch housing and the engine. This seal can sometimes leak and if its a major leak you'll sometimes notice your clutch slipping though a minor leak would be very hard to trace.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
vantageX can i connect tat breather hose to a oil catch can instead of putting a filter there?

Last edited:

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
mengz: Sure, you can connect an oil catch tank. That would be another option especially if you're losing oil thru your breather hose. It'll be better than the oil going into the combustion chamber and being burnt off.

Though an oil catch tank will collect the oil instead of it being burnt off, you can't avoid the fact that if your engine has oil coming out of the breather pipe with normal everyday driving then you do have a problem.

If you do a lot of spirited driving then do expect some oil to escape thru the breather hose.

mengz

500 RPM
Jan 15, 2005
hmmm...ok thanks for the info. i think i rather put an oil catch tank there instead of a filter, bcoz i dun want engine oil to be evaporating under my hood. but like that means got 2 oil catch can edi, one for the PCV and one for the breather...hmmmm..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

more pictures in the gallery!

The closest prototype to date for the Mitsubishi EVO 10

Enjoy!

ronn
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience