engine jerking... b16a

hattech-v

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 10, 2004
Seri Kembangan
www.avantech.com.my
if ur car jerking during part throtle/cruising its sometime coz of insuficient fuel... higher afr 16-17 normally will make ur car jerk especially at low load-part throtle... go for wideband n check it...

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
if ur car jerking during part throtle/cruising its sometime coz of insuficient fuel... higher afr 16-17 normally will make ur car jerk especially at low load-part throtle... go for wideband n check it...
you got any clue about my issue? have you ever experienced or seen this b4?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ

but lately the way i check, i almost full throttle also jerk..

it normally jerks when i accel, then i release, then i accel harder... then it'll jerk...

i do agree, i feel its due to insufficient FUEL...

will try wideband tuning. thanks mie.

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
wahhh bro....looks like you are having a bad case of ...."Sueh !!"

Anyways,im here to join on your boat....so need to tumpang your thread.... :biggrin:

Its gonna be hard to explain....i'll try my best....my car has been running fine for months...and did not add anything new recently....the other day,i went down to track....ran some laps...when i left the track i didn't engage vtec..so never realised...2 days later..im going for my oil change...after changing...i tested the car.....................

SUDDENLY !!!! when i hit my vtec crossover point,it engages, BUT.....its weak.....VERY WEAK ...extremely noticeable...car has no power on vtec AND the sound is very different(soft)....nothing to do with my oil...car was well heated up during the test....

We have checked the oil pressure...that is fine...we have checked the vtec solenoid replaced it wiht another...still the same....there are no funny sounds like bearings or anything....car starts up lik normal..drives like normal below vtec crossover point...the car is admitted in the hospital now...for further test in the morning...was hoping any fellow zth-ians sifu's can shed some light or ever heard of this? and possible causes?
about this bro

what case?

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
but i tried with p30 stock ecu, my car still jerk... so i believe i can rule out the afr tuning?? since i was running on oem ecu

D-IV

Known Member
Mar 11, 2006
Going for dyno wideband check would indeed benefit in terms of troubleshooting because you have real time ignition timing and AFR. Atleast you can narrow down the faults to either 2, ignition or fuel related.

I'm still waiting for ground checks and wire burn checks. Until then, adios.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
sending in my car to the workshop this weekend. leaving it there for my foremen to troubleshoot...

haih. =(

shah5755

Known Member
Apr 20, 2007
Pj....kch
when the trouble come that is the time for :banghead: keep on update k bro mybe can be our reference next time:smokin::smokin:

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
arrowhead...

if not mechanical trouble like gearbox, drive shaft... then surely related to:-

api or minyak or angin.... air/fuel or ignition. there 2 basic items give you combustion..

ecu-> injector (fuel pump--> filter--> fuel line-- regulator--> injectors)
ecu--> signal to distributor (dist--> wire--> plug--> spark) which hv sensors (3 sensors in dist)

which is the 1 really giving you trouble... try to isolated to either 1 first then easier to troubleshoot.....

Maybe simply one of the injectors/wire/ or one of the plugs/plug wire is the source....
What about MAP & TPS--> these feedback signal to the ecu for fuel/timing maps....

Even sometime, water gets into the petrol tank due to seldom drive...

Any recent job or re wiring before the symptom appeared?

Recently, the shell station near my home ran out of RON97 and I pumped Ron 95
(normally it is only v-power for by weekend B16B), and low rpm especially after release throttle (super 90- 70mm) felt a little jerking- high rpm till 9K seems ok, no knocking also..so I suspect is the ron95, will top up with V-power for my baby this week end and see if the slight jerk disappear....

Let's try to saving you some workshop money...troubleshooting would be foc if you were in Muar... BR.

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
aiyoh, all the sifu's are from JB... why wasn't i born there? makes my life easier!

anyway, i will definitely get those checked. from my own knowledge/experience, its very much fuel related cuz the jerk felt like insufficient fuel. but it got to me as i've tried replacing my fuel pump and fuel relay.. injectors are fine, cleaned them not more than 6 months ago.. in fact abt 4 months only.

thanks for the feedback E-Tech.

lucky for me, my mech aint charging me for troubleshooting, cuz he cant seem to find the source.

my car did run on ron 95 for abit (my dad pergi taruh) but no problems whatsoever. as of now, its back on 97. but the problem is NOW.

no re-wiring was done.. it just appeared like that! my last mod was my extractor... lol

Last edited:

E-Tech

Jun 28, 2005
Johor
Well don't be suprise, finally when you find the actual cause, it was something you have already tried changing before this...
I have done many ecu's before....those capacitors leaking can cause many troubles... just depend which area or copper track it damages.. like you already said, you have already tried exchanging it....
Another way is wait till the "thing" really rosak, then easy to find out....

Or just over minyak at certain rpm at certain speed/load at certain throttle %...
Advance or retard the distributor makes any different?
I like to solve problems... so now i am thinking and thinking... hopefully I dream of a solution 2nite....or the car just merajuk because you never drive it regularly....
Yeahlah, how about your battery voltage? you got a rsm in ur car, can easy see? Is it fully charged before to let it rest from mon--sat? It could be electrical also like alternator...
Trust me, it can cause problem also( i know, my ek2+7 also goes out once a week..)

Anyway, you guys (wit honda B series) should seriously think of MSD coil or some external coil.
You definately don't want to get caught when it just decide to kaput...
Honda Service Center did carry out PM(preventive maintainences) at certain mileage by coil replacement... I know , a friend have many spares(work at HONDA SC). In malaysia, we always take from half cut so.... sooner or later kena sangkut- car cannot start....

Keep us posted....

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
MSD coils to replace our utterly reliable distributor eh? shall consider it, but whats the cost like to do so?

no i dont have a RSM in the car, but i believe my batteries are all fine... i have no issues starting up my car at all... it starts right away!

haven't try to advance/retard the distributor, will tell my foremen that this saturday.

thanks bro.

defari

Known Member
Feb 27, 2008
have u checked the engine wiring? because your problem is really like mine lastime :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

as title, need help finding engine serial number on the engine, where izit located on the engine? a pic circling the area would be really nice :D

thanks alot for the help
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience