Electric Superchargers.... Do They Work?

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
OK, I know there has been countless threads on the net about it already. Decide to do my own review of it to answer the question. Bought a kit from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290635061663?ssPag...984.m1497.l2649

Thats the exact kit I bought. Bought 2 pieces 4" to 3" reducers from Man Exhaust today and install it. Wiring is quite simple. I wired it to the fog lamp relay thus I could turn it on or off thru the fog lamp switch.

Thus the big question is does it work? Is it snake oil? Will it do wonders?

Drove it around for ~100KM today as I was running some errands. In short, it does work to a certain degree. I ensure there is minimal placebo effect by turning with the switch on and off numerous times. Run at different RPMs, level of throttle etc.

The amount of power boost is very slight. Its very similar to turning off the AC on a small CC car to gain more power. It does what it is advertise to do. Gains of around 5-7HP. Thats all.

So, why aren't manufacturers using this device when its so cool??

Reliaibility and durability. These devices are not made to last at all. Housing is just fiber reinforced plastic and motor is a simple brush motor (though its using ball bearings). At best, it will last you around 600-800Hrs of use. After that you have to replace the carbon brushes or the housing. Fan blade is metal so it should last a while.

So, can it be made to work? Yes, it can. Provided there is proper R&D. Eg. cast aluminum housing. brushless motor (there are water cooled motors as well). Fan blades that are designed to deliver high air pressure etc.... Electric superchargers and hybrids are already under research right now

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Nice review! I've always wonder why car manufacturers doesn't seem interested in electric supercharger. If they can make hybrid motors reliable, why not electric supercharger motors?

escksu

Known Member
Nov 25, 2011
Singapore
Nice review! I've always wonder why car manufacturers doesn't seem interested in electric supercharger. If they can make hybrid motors reliable, why not electric supercharger motors?
The biggest problem with electric supercharger is the insane amount of power required. We need around 800-1000W of power just to produce a slight amount of boost. Cooling is also required for such a massive amount of power.

Thus you can imagine the amount of power needed just for 5-6PSI of boost. Its not practical and its extremely costly. Thus mechanical means are the way right now.

However, afaik, there are lots of research going on for electric superchargers to improve low end torque as well as hybrid (means turbo + electric supercharger). Electric motor spins up the compressor fins at low RPM and switch off when there is sufficient exhaust gas. This greatly reduces turbo lag and improves turbo efficiency.

I am still testing the FC, will report about the FC in a week or so.

Btw, just took it for a 0-100 sprint. There is definitely a slight improvement.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

How do you know its 5-7hp?
Just a guess. Cause I know AC compressor can suck up 10HP easily. Thus based on a conservative estimate + what others have posted at ebay's feedback, its around there.

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Even the tiny hybrid motor in the Honda CRZ produces 10kW. So an electric supercharger motor with 2-4kW doesn't seem too much right? :idea:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Would you mind lending the gadget to me? I have a Gtech Pro which I can use to do a before and after comparison.

I'm a huge skeptic when it comes to these sort of gadgets. But I'll give it a fair review if you loan it to me.

Charles

I brake very late....
Jan 7, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Replace the motor with brushless ones, downside is it requires a brushless electronic speed controller and both cost a bomb. But brushless means literally maintenance free.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
theoretically, it works..

but i wonder how long it would last..

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Good, waiting for better results review on the application on turbocharged cars

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Another thing is i wonder if coupled with turbocharged usage, will this item fail eg break apart when you are boosting at 1.5bar? I guess the suction would be very great.. maybe it'll cause downside effect as it'll be blocking the air passage in the end.. I dunno.. anyone can test?

AD_EG

6,000 RPM
Apr 5, 2009
Ipoh
hehehe bro u think anybody will take the risk and test ?

anyways judging from the construction of it, i think it will not be able to withstand the pressure...and will definitely cause restriction and problems...even bro Izso faced some problems on NA 1.5, imagine on a powerplant handling 1.5 bar boost? and once it does break and the parts get sucked inside ...cant imagine the catastrophe

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
To be fair, my car isn't a stock 1.5 and erm.. it isn't 1.5 :biggrin:

I have my reservations about a gadget that supposedly can blow in air faster than my engine can suck in. My CAI setup can suck in a cube of ice if you hold it at the mouth of the CAI. So how can a fan that small do any better? Those industrial blower fans that you see at those toilets (used to dry the floor) are massively powerful but look at the size of the motor. Even if it did fit in a car the electricity drain would offset the gains (alternator charge).

I dunno. Until I try it I won't agree with the idea. But since I don't agree with the idea I won't buy it. And because I won't buy it I can't try it. It's a catch-22. :biggrin:

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
hehehe bro u think anybody will take the risk and test ?

anyways judging from the construction of it, i think it will not be able to withstand the pressure...and will definitely cause restriction and problems...even bro Izso faced some problems on NA 1.5, imagine on a powerplant handling 1.5 bar boost? and once it does break and the parts get sucked inside ...cant imagine the catastrophe
Yes i would agree with you, if it breaks.. it means "hailat.com" and can start to spend more money to rebuilt your engine..

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
To be fair, my car isn't a stock 1.5 and erm.. it isn't 1.5 :biggrin:

I have my reservations about a gadget that supposedly can blow in air faster than my engine can suck in. My CAI setup can suck in a cube of ice if you hold it at the mouth of the CAI. So how can a fan that small do any better? Those industrial blower fans that you see at those toilets (used to dry the floor) are massively powerful but look at the size of the motor. Even if it did fit in a car the electricity drain would offset the gains (alternator charge).

I dunno. Until I try it I won't agree with the idea. But since I don't agree with the idea I won't buy it. And because I won't buy it I can't try it. It's a catch-22. :biggrin:
But... Let's say, if someone managed to fit the industrial blower into the bonnet, and have a bank of batteries, like 4-6 car batteries (or lithium ones for lighter weight) in the boot. Then build a high power DC to AC converter to power the fan, coupled with a controller to control the fan based on engine load or RPM. Voila! There you go, an electric supercharger.. :biggrin:

Well, at least that's the theory. My 2 cents.. :smokin:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I think it would be useless on any car above 1000 cc? I haven;t tried it. But I have thought about it and done some calculations. I think it will be best for K cars of 660 cc for early response. Don't even talk about high rpm operations because the engine sucks in such huge amount of air that; instead of blowing air, it will be a restriction.

I even done a calculation on my car (1.6 cc.) by using a Bosch centrifugal air blower (around 1000 W). Because I am a bit crazy. I like to experiment things. In my calculations, I found that at 5000 rpms, my car's engine sucks in the amount of air that the blower blows. But my car's redline is 6.2 k rpm. Most stock passenger cars redline around this point. So for the final 1.2k rpm, thta thing would be a restriction.

The earlier the rpm, the larger the gain and the higher the boost. It will give you diminishing returns the higher the rpm.

Luckily, I did calculations instead of rushing to buy one and stupidly install it. Oh and that thing takes 1000 W out of the battery. =.=

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But... Let's say, if someone managed to fit the industrial blower into the bonnet, and have a bank of batteries, like 4-6 car batteries (or lithium ones for lighter weight) in the boot. Then build a high power DC to AC converter to power the fan, coupled with a controller to control the fan based on engine load or RPM. Voila! There you go, an electric supercharger.. :biggrin:

Well, at least that's the theory. My 2 cents.. :smokin:
You're probably right bro. But the amount of money spent there... you're better off getting a supercharger.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

During the introduction of the first-gen Porsche Panamera, it is engulfed with critics for its design, but gained honest praises for its performance and readability. The new 2017 Porsche Panamera made world debut in Berlin recently and has set the bar even higher for the four-door coupe segment with the aspiration of new turbocharged engines, apart from restyled appearance...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience