Effects Of Engine Flushing... Good or Bad ?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Some of my friends advised me to do engine flushing more often.

Some say its bad to do engine flushing..

BTW engine flushing is normally done by pouring a can of engine flush fluid into the engine and let it run for 5 to 10 minutes before draining the engine oil and replaced it with new engine oil.

So, kindly share your experiences and views on whether engine flushing is good or bad for the engine
and possible the reasons behind it....:idea::driver::listen::hmmmm2:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is chemical flushing. Problem is, is the chemical used harmful to the gasket and seals. Using them you will not be able to drain them completely out, unless you leave to drain overnight.
You can also flush using lighter viscosity oil and /or using diesel engine oil. Diesel engine oil have more cleansing agent. Use those with API S rating oil for petrol engine.
Having said that, why need to flush? If yours is new car, do your OCI regularly and you don't need to flush. Better is use SS and change more often, rather then use FS and prolong oil change.
Oil sludge because of prolong use,
If yours is old engine and have some sludge, there are pros and cons on flushing too. Some say flushing clears the sludge. Some say it dislodges the sludge and these may or may not clog smaller oil way?? your thoughts?? Sludge also can be blocking oil leaks at the gasket of old engine, clearing them may cause oil leaks too....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
present engine oil incorporates cleaning capabilities......thus need not flushing, esp the engine is well maintained and periodically changed of engine oil.

Even petrol today has cleaning agents.....

Unless the car has been abused for a long time, left out for a long time, the engine oil will expire soon will turn into yummy black gunk....just like what I saw in the mercedes, diesel engine, built in 1970....at a car auction.

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
flushing.?!. i haven't done that in ages :biggrin:

use to buy a cheap 4L engine oil..

drain out oil in engine.. change oil filter..

put the cheap oil in.. run it for 100km or so..

and change oil with a semi-synthetic ones..

:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
For me, I got good results from using Chemlube Engine Oil. Every Engine have the Needle to measure to check if the engine oil is at the recommended level right?

My needle seems to be contaminated with some black stains on it and some spots, all these are due to my car sometimes way past beyond the recommended engine oil change schedule. So, might be cause of that.

After using Chemlube, I realised slowly that my needle is getting cleaner and cleaner. It seems according to my mech, it helps to clean the engine as well if were to use it in a long run, is kinda benefit the engine.

That's when I started using Chemlube engine oil instead. Pricey but worth it if it can take care the engine and cleans it.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
So to add into the engine before any oil change or after every oil change we add it in?
Bro SF, engine flush are normally poured in before oil change, bcos its quite "corrosive" with cleaning agents.

Also not recommended to flush the engine too long, max 15mins only...

Also not recommended to high revv the engine, just let it run on idling rpm only...

Last edited:

BoxCarRacer

500 RPM
May 7, 2008
Johor Bahru
I only do flushing if I got extra cash in hand. Buy my preferred engine oil, a bottle of cheap engine oil and a can of engine flush.

What I do is pour in the engine flush into the engine bay (with the old engine oil inside) and let it run for 10 mins.

Jack up the car, drain the oil and leave it overnight.

The next morning, pour in half a can of the cheap oil, run for like 10 mins and drain it again.

Then only pour in the more expensive engine oil. :biggrin:

Used to do it very frequently (every 20k) until my mech advice not to do it as it might eat up the oil seals but thank god nothing harm done to the engine. I have stop doing flushing for a long time now. All I can say that after I flush the engine, it runs much more smooth and lively.

Last edited:

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Used to do it very frequently (every 20k) until my mech advice not to do it as it might eat up the oil seals but thank god nothing harm done to the engine. I have stop doing flushing for a long time now. All I can say that after I flush the engine, it runs much more smooth and lively.
Bro,
Only those unknow brand with uncorrect chemical method will screw up ur engine or seals. Good Motor Flush will not mess up the thing yet help ur car reduce extra slugde & carbon build-up!
Like u mentioned, engine run more smooth, lively, good respond, save fuel & etc. :biggrin:

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

So to add into the engine before any oil change or after every oil change we add it in?
Hi, add in & run with idle speed or certain rev before u pour in fresh engine oil:) 10 to 15 mints will do!

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
If you guys are going to pour some aggressive chemical mixture into your engine to clean it up, why go with some unknown brand you never heard of? I don't understand why people pour unknown crap into their ENGINES, the most important single part on their cars. Beats me.

Go with something like Motul Engine Clean: Motul - Automotive Products - Engine Clean Auto

BUT, honestly it is not necessary, with today's synthetics like Motul, Chemlube, Amsoil, even Mobil 1, it already has cleaning abilities, just less aggressive. So if you use good synthetics consistently, it will clean the engine oil as well, and its safer this way since it is mild.

Last edited:

jeheyr

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
Ampang Jaya
community.webshots.com
done it last year..
on earlier this year, got white smoke..
but not sure it caused by engine flushing or what..
some said common problem for v6 engine after using ron95.. any comment?
last two month, completed top overhaul... all seals changed..
anyhow, i need to overhaul it since been used for 10 years..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
present engine oil incorporates cleaning capabilities......thus need not flushing, esp the engine is well maintained and periodically changed of engine oil.

Even petrol today has cleaning agents.....

Unless the car has been abused for a long time, left out for a long time, the engine oil will expire soon will turn into yummy black gunk....just like what I saw in the mercedes, diesel engine, built in 1970....at a car auction.
Yup, if on regular OCI then no need to flush. Flushing needed is engine have sludge, but pros and cons about flushing the sludge too....

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

I only do flushing if I got extra cash in hand. Buy my preferred engine oil, a bottle of cheap engine oil and a can of engine flush.

What I do is pour in the engine flush into the engine bay (with the old engine oil inside) and let it run for 10 mins.

Jack up the car, drain the oil and leave it overnight.

The next morning, pour in half a can of the cheap oil, run for like 10 mins and drain it again.

Then only pour in the more expensive engine oil. :biggrin:

Only half can? Then running below recommend oil level?

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, if on regular OCI then no need to flush. Flushing needed is engine have sludge, but pros and cons about flushing the sludge too....

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Only half can? Then running below recommend oil level?
VR2,
maybe he meant half a tin....:idea:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Just use Chemlube, have cleaning function. Settle the problem :biggrin: