E30 LSD Axle

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
Im looking out for a E30 rear axle with LSD. I understand it comes with the older M3 versions. Where can I source for one and roughly how much woulds it cost? Im considering to make a sideways machine so need a LSD axle. Thanks folks.

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
Zogee?? Fabianyee?? anyone?? I need to know if this axe is available? Thanks

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
It's not easy to source for a LSD for the E30...
BTW, what ratio are you looking for???

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by fabianyee@Jul 17 2004, 12:13 PM
It's not easy to source for a LSD for the E30...
BTW, what ratio are you looking for???
it's not the ratio to ask right now...! what car (BMW) are you driving now?then only we can explain to him what... ;)

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
As the topic, a 320 E30 1984 or 1985 (not sure) 2 doors. I havent actually bought the car, but it has been offered to me at a cheap price due to its kaput engine. So I was just thinking if I could turn it into a drift machine and take on Zee. As for the ratio, I have no idea on it. I didnt know LSD also got ratio? Thought they have only 1, 1.5 & 2 way only. I just want a 1 way to go sideways.

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
It depends on wat engine you wants it with!!! get the M20B25,recomended ratio to play with 3.64 or the 3.73( i've use the 4.10 before) and Tengku Djan was driving sideways with me in my car during the previous BMW Club and Honda outing in Sepang.whoa...!! I was like falling in love with my car.ask him then you'll know.but hey I'm not saying my car is the best!!

or if you wants a more balance car get the M42B18 engine and get the 4.10 lsd...that'll be a fine car to drive, You can really whacked the M20B25 anytime in Sepang....I always argue with Fabian dat the 4cyl performance (M40,M42,M43,M44) is much less a performers then the 6cyl M20,M50 cars...until I finally had the chance to sit on Fabian's car with the 3.73lsd in Sepang....he was ..like going full throttle at the corners and I was taken by surprise.....!!!! *sigh* as for my car..I couldn'tpulled out from the last turn (hairpin turn)at 2nd gear...!!! I spun each time I engage on 2nd gear at dat turn...(or maybe I'm not a good driver as Fabian)...

dun get any funny idea from ur friend s saying dat get the SR20det onto ur e30....Yes..it'll be fast.!!!! on the straight...but imagine finding a lsd to match the termendous torque when the force induction kicks in!!! bad power to ratio .IMHO
sorry for those who has the engine in ur E30..but I like the SR20DET engine though.

or heck...go get the AE86...it's a better handling cars then our e30 la...even with the stock AE86 engine can out run the E30..supp..supp sui..leh!!!even the LSD are easier to find....

byw,I just add anuder 2 lsd to my collection..hehe..good luck!!

hey...just my sharing experience here oni hah...dun get angry wokay!!??

just my dua duit...

zoggee

Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by SideWaysGrey@Jul 19 2004, 02:04 AM
I didnt know LSD also got ratio? Thought they have only 1, 1.5 & 2 way only. I just want a 1 way to go sideways.
hehe...you are playing too much PS2 GT3 la weh.....in BMW the are two types of LSD...viscous and clutch . how many percentage lock. then the ratio.

I've seen a Nissan Silvia rear subframe(Axle) with Viscous LSD indicator...and believe me ..!!! too many bushes involves. expensive wear and tear parts.
my old E30 got only six(if I'm not wrong)and I'm on PU bushes...Imagine the Silvia's..it's more then 10!!!

But I still loves seeing the Nissan drifts la...*slurp*..... :P

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
If I drive 180km/h at 5.5k rpm..what's is my rear diff ratio ?

M20 B25 , my dreamed engine.

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
for 320i, better go for 4.10 final drive ratio...

LSD got no ratio, but since it's RWD, the LSD core is in the rear axle and so is the final drive ratio (crown and pinion).. so more often than not, it comes in whole - the whole rear differential... it's more or less a plug and play...

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
wow, so complicated. I was thinking of throwing in a Supra 1JZ into the e30 but looks like the LSD might not be abe to function properly this way.

fabianyee

Known Member
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by SideWaysGrey@Jul 20 2004, 04:53 PM
wow, so complicated. I was thinking of throwing in a Supra 1JZ into the e30 but looks like the LSD might not be abe to function properly this way.
I guess ur knowledge on RWD car is not up to where it should be... ;)

Seriously, y do u think Supra 1JZ can't work with the LSD???

U shud be more concerned of the engine mounting, gearbox and mountings and the propeller shaft lenght (long shaft) rather than the rear differential...

The rear differential can work with any engine, u just need to have the correct ratio to harvest the torque and power of the engine.

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Originally posted by SideWaysGrey@Jul 20 2004, 04:53 PM
huh 1JZ on E30......can you guess what will happened if the weight distribution adjusted..maybe 70:30, the new mounting can't cope with the enermous torque ...u put 1JZ...the car become lemon...like what had happened to SR20 + e30 combination.......pure lemon.

Unless you can buy custom dog box gearbox and custom rear diff..body reinforcement....

You should check the tom's E30...max out the M20 B25 engine....

If you really want to play with 1JZ..buy Toyota Crown Mark 2 a.k.a subang airport limousine.....that's seem fit..toyota engine..toyota chasis...

there's too much jap euro engine conversion on BMW

E28 + SR20
E28 + 2JZ
E21 + SR20
E30 + SR20

why they throw away the M20 engine potential, can't we follow the rules applied by some US freak....they use stock engine..I've see Honda Civic Si managed to secure front page with only using D15 engine :)

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
zoggee thanks for the link.

Thanks, my car 5.5k RPM -> 180km/h......what's my diff ratio ? Driving at 200km/h can hear my M20 screaming like hell....

even if change to LSD my car add more 20kg weight and still can't sideways :)

he heh...

SideWaysGrey

500 RPM
May 12, 2004
Seremban, NS
Visit site
So u guys suggest its best to retain an original bmw engine, upgrade it use a correct ratio read diff, and drift?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

fark.. they broke into my car again! arghh!
this is the second time they suceeded.. same time, same wheather.. same place in front my house... 6am with slight drizzles.
amazing how they managed to smash my window without any sound!..
and again my player is gone (eventho i took out the detachable front panel)

i managed to catch a glimpse of them and wanted to give chase... but as i got out they threw the garbage bin and tiles at me and they fled! damn assh*les..
4 of them on 2 bikes...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience