Dynos in M'sia

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
ANybody knows of any diagram or schematic of how a dyno machine works?

I notice there has been a lot of talk on which shop has a more accurate dyno and so on and I intent to research on this subject to shed some light to the truth.

Speed Demon

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Selangor
www.freewebs.com
Joeker: I only managed to get the following info so far:

From the HowStuffWorks website:

Measuring Horsepower
If you want to know the horsepower of an engine, you hook the engine up to a dynamometer. A dynamometer places a load on the engine and measures the amount of power that the engine can produce against the load. You can get an idea of how a dynamometer works in the following way: Imagine that you turn on a car engine, put it in neutral and floor it. The engine would run so fast it would explode. That's no good, so on a dynamometer you apply a load to the floored engine and measure the load the engine can handle at different engine speeds. You might hook an engine to a dynamometer, floor it and use the dynamometer to apply enough of a load to the engine to keep it at, say, 7,000 rpm. You record how much load the engine can handle. Then you apply additional load to knock the engine speed down to 6,500 rpm and record the load there. Then you apply additional load to get it down to 6,000 rpm, and so on. You can do the same thing starting down at 500 or 1,000 rpm and working your way up. What dynamometers actually measure is torque (in pound-feet), and to convert torque to horsepower you simply multiply torque by rpm/5,252.

And an article on the Net(written about Go-Karts):

http://www.land-and-sea.com/dyno-dynamometer-article.htm

Doesn't really tell in detail how they work exactly but some info is there.

This one might be better as it talks about calibration:

http://www.rri.se/index.php?DN=30

Last edited:

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Joeker said:
I forgot whether Speedwork or Millenium is using Dynamic or Dyno Dynamic (Dyno Dynamic & Dynamic are 2 seperate companies

Millennium Motorsports (Asia) is using Dyno Dynamics.

I heard the best dyno machine is dyno dynamics. :regular_smile:

Dino@Casper

May 13, 2005
P.J
What they dyno machine does is actually quite simple, to judge the maximum horse power it actually generates the power like a generator right?.. the machine actually messsures the potential difference i think... than with a few simple mechanical formula u can calculate the horsepower

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
If not mistaken each dynos runs only different systems.

I've heard several jargons about dynos using "water brake", "retarder", "DOS based system", etc but the person who gave me those information did'nt know much about dynos neither.

And then some claims that their dynos are more accurate than the other.

And some dyno models need to input ambient parameters manually while some were dialled in by default.

I think it hi time we educate ourselves before strapping down our cars for dyno again.

Yes, Millenium using Dyno Dynamic. It was previously from Quartermile. Heard a rumour Millenium dynoed a 1,000 whp Skyline :shocked:

That means Speedworks using Dynamic DTS or is it?

anybody dynoed their car in Speedworks before? Can confirm whether its Dynamic DTS or Dyno Dynamic?

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
So in the sifu's opinion which dyno in the Klang Valley is the most up todate, well maintained, accurate & parameter correctly setup for a dyno run?:regular_smile:

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
At the present moment, Amoil's Dynojet dyno is the latest version and using most up to date software.

Speed Demon

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Selangor
www.freewebs.com
Joeker said:
Heard a rumour Millenium dynoed a 1,000 whp Skyline :shocked:
Yes, its a fact. I've seen the car and the chart. The chart is laminated & displayed for all to see at Millenium. From what I've read in the articles I think most dynos here use the same method, which is the load is generated by the drum, which is rotated by the wheels of the car.

I think dynos with a more wide open space should provide a more accurate reading as on the road the car is not enclosed by walls. Ambient temperature I guess remains about the same. Again this would be affected by the space around the dyno.

So I think what is most important is calibration. Calibration of the load to the amount of hp required to move it. This will then provide the most accurate reading.

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Speed Demon said:
From what I've read in the articles I think most dynos here use the same method, which is the load is generated by the drum, which is rotated by the wheels of the car.

So I think what is most important is calibration. Calibration of the load to the amount of hp required to move it. This will then provide the most accurate reading.
I think you might have underestimated the differences between each dyno company. Apparently, every dyno looks similar and one might assume it works similarly as well.

But in actual fact, THEY DON'T.

I only have vague infoormation at this point in time that some dynoe uses water brakes and heat soaks easily thus causing the dyno to generate inaccurate horsepower reading.

And there are rumors of unscrupulous tuners messing with the parameters to generate illogical horsepower readings.

ANyway, I'll try to gather more datas.

Last edited:

KCNKEN

Aug 20, 2006

how to understand the dyno picture?
red n blue has wat diffrent?

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
Did some talking to people dealing in dynos and was kindly given information pertaining to the different dynos that are in M'sia.

Apparently, Dynos really do work differently, have different methods of registering hp and its pro & cons.

The info that I have are 2nd hand thus it might not be as accurate as I hope it to be.

If there are mis-info, pls chip in.

Dyno Dynamic & Dynamic DTS
Retarder system
Measures in kilowatts
DOS operating system
Parameters (Air temp, Air pres. & Humidity) are input manually.
Stability of power supply affects dyno reading. Isolated substation is required.

Dynojets
Inertia system
Measures in ps
WINpep operating system
Parameters are input by default
Dynoing in different time of day affects dyno reading

Dastek
Water brake system
Measure in kilowatts
DOS operating system
Parameters are input manually.
Dyno reading is affected by heat soak of the water brakes.

Again, here are the list of dynos in Malaysia.

Klang Valley
N1, Sunway - Dynojet 4wd
GT AUto, Sunway - Dynojet 4wd
Millenium, SUnway - Dyno Dynamic
Amoil, Sunway - Dynotjet 4wd 2006 v.
Links, Sunway - HPI
Speedworks, PJ - Dynamic DTS
RS, Puchong - Dastek
D Tuning, Sri Damansara - Dynojet 4wd
Redsun, Pandan Indah - Dynojet 2wd

Nilai
Aerotech - Dynojet 4wd

Johor
Speedwork - Dynamic DTS
Viswork - Dastek

V-Spec

Nov 28, 2003
So is Amoil the better place dyno?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i'm wondering to know whether our proton Putra and GTi have any potential to put 4-throttle.

1) if yes, what type of 4-throttle can be used?? from other cars or any modifications

2) what about the air/fuel sensor or MAP sensor of the throttle body?? any modifications have to be done?? example wyring thingies....

thanks!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience