Dynos in Malaysia

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Actually you got it completely wrong man. Whether the dyno is a 'heartbreaker' or not depends on the calibration and have NOTHING at all to do with the 'load'. Even dyno figures from different operator running the same dyno can be different. That's why if you want to do a comparison, just stick to the same operator. If all you want to do is a power run to compare before and after mod power levels, any dyno would do, as long as it is the same dyno and operator, but if you were to go serious in a proper tune job with steady state and all, you would need a load bearing dyno.

Generally there are 2 type of dynos, Inertia dyno where it uses a fixed roller mass and calculates hp by the time taken for that fixed mass to spin up, or a load-bearing eddy-current dyno, where the energy is absorbed by a electromagnetic retarder and the energy produced and RPM is calculated to obtain the power figures. Generally inertia dynos have very good repeatability and can often be paired together with a retarder to get the best of both world. Dynojet is an inertial dyno in it's core but it can be paired with a retarder. Many cheaper dyno operators use the base Dynojet which does not have a retarder so tuning on that would not be able to give you a complete tune, or at least will require more time and effort as it cannot do steady state. GTAuto have 2 dynojets, one of them have a retarder while the other doesn't if I am not mistaken.

Mainline, Dyno Dynamics are pure eddy current dynos and adjusts the retarder load on the fly depending on the power to control the rate of acceleration. 'pure on road simulation' is probably just what the tuner tells you but Mainline ain't really more accurate in 'simulating on road conditions' than any other dyno with a retarder. Accuracy of the AFR tuning in the end depends on the tuner and how patient he is. Some tuners just run WOT tune and calls it a day, skipping the most important and most time consuming part-throttle tune.
Ah that's good info *two thumbs up*. Eloquently put

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I'd say just go for tuners that are reputable. If you're just looking to go for a fun run on a dyno, the usual suspects like GTAuto and all are fine. Personally I wouldn't want to "fun run" my car on a dyno cuz you'll never know what'll break when revved like that.
My tuner shop doesn't have dyno so usually need to rent. Usually he goes to Millennium if not mistaken but heard it's now under repair/service so need to find another place.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
My tuner shop doesn't have dyno so usually need to rent. Usually he goes to Millennium if not mistaken but heard it's now under repair/service so need to find another place.
Yup. My tuner doesn't have his own dyno either. He rents Mainline, Dynojet and all that depending on what car he's tuning.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Dynojet has two types of dynos in Malaysia, 2WD and 4WD. To my knowledge only GTAuto Sunway has the 4WD and is the only 4WD dyno in Malaysia. I could be wrong, if you know of any others please share. Dynojet numbers usually are 20-30% higher than Mainline,

There's also hub-dynos where you take out your rims and the dyno connects directly to your hub and I hear results are similar to Mainline. I've never come across a hub-dyno but I heard there are a few around.

Whats your take on dynos and why?
I've been through dyno 4 time. 3 time dynojet 1 time mainline. yes result is around 3x% difference but afr stable tune on mainline compared with dynojet. But, different tuner.

ken racing dynojet able to do awd. shop behind ken has awd dyno as well.

KLG auto at klang, quite near with autbacs, has hub-dyno, iirc its mustang.

my take on dynos, just go with your tuner. after tune, then pay few hundred for few run on dyno to get result and frame it. hahaha

Reactions: Izso and 6UE5t

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I've been through dyno 4 time. 3 time dynojet 1 time mainline. yes result is around 3x% difference but afr stable tune on mainline compared with dynojet. But, different tuner.

ken racing dynojet able to do awd. shop behind ken has awd dyno as well.

KLG auto at klang, quite near with autbacs, has hub-dyno, iirc its mustang.

my take on dynos, just go with your tuner. after tune, then pay few hundred for few run on dyno to get result and frame it. hahaha
Wah KLG Auto is close to my place. Thx for the info. Do you know how much they charge?

sanekit

1,500 RPM
Dec 9, 2015
Petaling Jaya
Actually you got it completely wrong man. Whether the dyno is a 'heartbreaker' or not depends on the calibration and have NOTHING at all to do with the 'load'. Even dyno figures from different operator running the same dyno can be different. That's why if you want to do a comparison, just stick to the same operator. If all you want to do is a power run to compare before and after mod power levels, any dyno would do, as long as it is the same dyno and operator, but if you were to go serious in a proper tune job with steady state and all, you would need a load bearing dyno.

Generally there are 2 type of dynos, Inertia dyno where it uses a fixed roller mass and calculates hp by the time taken for that fixed mass to spin up, or a load-bearing eddy-current dyno, where the energy is absorbed by a electromagnetic retarder and the energy produced and RPM is calculated to obtain the power figures. Generally inertia dynos have very good repeatability and can often be paired together with a retarder to get the best of both world. Dynojet is an inertial dyno in it's core but it can be paired with a retarder. Many cheaper dyno operators use the base Dynojet which does not have a retarder so tuning on that would not be able to give you a complete tune, or at least will require more time and effort as it cannot do steady state. GTAuto have 2 dynojets, one of them have a retarder while the other doesn't if I am not mistaken.

Mainline, Dyno Dynamics are pure eddy current dynos and adjusts the retarder load on the fly depending on the power to control the rate of acceleration. 'pure on road simulation' is probably just what the tuner tells you but Mainline ain't really more accurate in 'simulating on road conditions' than any other dyno with a retarder. Accuracy of the AFR tuning in the end depends on the tuner and how patient he is. Some tuners just run WOT tune and calls it a day, skipping the most important and most time consuming part-throttle tune.
what about those chassis dyno like Dynapak?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
ah. i've tuned my car on this twice. tuner said his read outs are close to dynojet coz i brought my previous graphs from GT Auto to show him.
Wah! your wira also send for dyno before, VR never send before.......lol

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, as topic states my coilovers need a rebuild. So far only place that rebuilds hypermax 2 that I've been able to find is Garage R in Singapore.

Suggestions?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience