Driven: Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

In the past, I’ve never really taken much notice of the Volkswagen marque. It was only when I drove a mk5 Golf GTI when I started to realize VW actually made some pretty fun cars. Since then, I have been following the progress of the Golf, and I must say that the sixth iteration of this icon has not been a disappointment.

Zerotohundred has reviewed the Golf TSI before here and I have brought the Golf back out to play once more, for a comparison shoot-out between the Scirocco TSI and Polo GTI; all of which employs the same 1.4 twincharged mill. The EA111 engine is an award winning engine for good reason – direct injection, supercharged and turbocharged, squeezing 160PS @ 5,800rpm and 240Nm @ 1,500-4,500rpm from a tiny 1,390cc block. These figures are enough to rival many other naturally aspirated 2.0-litre engines in the market. While buyers get the added benefit of a cheaper road tax – only RM70 per year, the flip side is the lack of space against other cars in this price segment.

1.4 twincharged unit; the same engine used in the Scirocco TSI and Polo GTI

Jumping from the Scirocco TSI into the Golf TSI, one thing is very obvious – comfort. The seats in the Golf are several notches plusher than the sports seats offered in the Scirocco. Like the Scirocco, gadgetry is similar – dual-zone climate control, 7 airbags, parking sensors on the front and rear, swiveling headlights, ESP, RCD310. Trim level is also identical – fabric seats, manual seat adjustment, and no sunroof. Interior space, while not great, is markedly better than the Scirocco. Like the ‘Roc, the centre arm-rest/console is almost useless, but the glove-box and cubby holes on the side are notably bigger. Cabin quality is top-notch as expected, and is miles better than any other interior of this price range. The only complaints I have are on the oddly (wedge) shaped gear-knob which felt a little odd, the poor cabin insulation, and the blue-lit RCD310 display that makes viewing a little harder during the day; with a pair of polarized sunglasses, almost impossible to read from the driver’s seat.

Parking assist on both the front and back - very nifty feature!

Solid, tactile buttons that feel premium

A view that is very similar as in the Scirocco - dials and dashboard colours look great

Gear knob would have been ergonomically better if it was round

So how does this Golf TSI drive, especially when you compare it against its GTI sibling? Ultimately, the TSI does not have the outright pace as the GTI. Having said that, performance is respectable – top speed is a claimed 220km/h and, like the ‘Roc, this can be achieved given enough tarmac. The 7-speed DSG ‘box coupled with a dual-clutch transmission shifts smoothly and with tremendous ease; an option to shift manually is offered but I felt that it was best to leave it in Auto. Driving the Golf TSI on the highways, I continued to be impressed with the performance; for some reason, my butt-dyno reported that the acceleration in the Golf felt more brisk than the Scirocco TSI. There was a slight hint of lag, but once you learn how to drive the car properly, will no longer pose as a problem.

As can be expected – suspension in the Golf is more tuned for comfort, soaking up all pimples on the road effortlessly. There is a lightness to the rear though, and whilst this can lead to some hairy moments when taking corners too fast, once you've understood the limits of the car, the Golf ends up being very rewarding to drive. Another thing you have to keep in mind are the brakes – the ones in the Golf do not perform the same way as the ones in the Scirocco. Brake pedals felt spongy, and your feet travels a little further towards the floor before any stopping happens. I’ve driven both the mk5 and mk6 Golf GTI, and they both had similar issues, so I’m left wondering if this is simply just a Golf trademark.

Very fun to drive, whether in traffic, or out of

16" Atlanta alloys actually look better than the 19" Detroits offered in the Golf GTI, imo

Signal indicators on the side mirror

I’ve mentioned before how I have a heavy right foot, so is the fuel consumption in the Golf TSI? Well, the Golf has a similar capacity fuel tank at 55-litres and since I was driving the Golf as hard as I was the ‘Roc, it was no surprise that I only managed to travel about 410km before the fuel warning light came on. I’ve read that current owners of the Golf TSI can easily manage 500km before the light comes on, and these are fairly frugal numbers and is a positive mark, especially considering today’s petrol prices.

Now comes the clincher: between the Scirocco TSI and Golf TSI, which one would be my pick? The price gap sits at a hefty RM30,000 but the standard features you get from both are similar: bi-xenons, foglamps, dynamic control headlamps, media-in interface for USB/iPod connectivity, 7 airbags, 7-speed DSG auto-box, dual clutch transmission, stability and traction control, and a 5-star EURO NCAP rating. Build quality of both cars are better, if not at par, with rival cars in this segment and price. What sets the two apart are aesthetics, and practicality suits. There is no doubt that the Scirocco is the better looking of the two, and if you’re looking for road presence and head-turning abilities, then the Scirocco is the one for you. The Golf is more practical – proper seats in the rear that can accommodate five adults, is more comfortable, and in its own terms, still looks good… and is the one that I would go for.

View of the cabin

Boot isn't small, but lacks the space required to fit a golf bag... ironic!

There's enough space to fit 5 averaged sized adults, and in more comfort than the Scirocco

For the few enthusiasts whom are itching for more power from the small TSI engine, there are tuners out there like ABT who have managed to squeeze even more power from the 1.4 mill; an eye-watering 210PS and 290Nm of torque, closely matching the Golf GTI. But be warned – treading down this dark path will/can void your warranty, so be sure to do your due diligence before performing any modifications. Keep in mind that all Volkswagen cars come with 2 years manufacturer and 3 years extended warranty, so if there really is no desperate need for speed, keeping it stock remains the safest bet.

Golf TSI; my pick... for now? How will the Polo GTI fare?

After returning the keys to the Golf TSI, I picked up the keys to the final car that I would be reviewing: the Polo GTI. While it employs the same EA111 engine, the Polo GTI actually has 180PS and 250Nm, 20PS and 10Nm more than both the Scirocco and Golf. Stay tuned here for the review on the Polo GTI.

Golf 1.4 TSI
Zerotohundred: 8.0secs
Top Speed: 220km/h (tested)
Engine: 1.4L twincharged 4-cylinder, direct injection
Power: 160PS / 5,800 rpm
Torque: 240Nm / 1,500 – 4,500 rpm
Weight: 1361kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: 6.0L / 100km (combined, claimed)
Wheels: 6.5J x 16”
Tyres: 205/55 R16
Price: RM155,888

Attachments

Last edited:

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The Golf is actually named after the Gulf wind and not the sport..

But I would agree as well in getting the Golf over the 'Roc..
After all it has a newer chassis than the 'Roc which is based on the Mk V GTi..
My 2 cents..

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
won: you're on a VW frenzy. by the time you post the Polo GTI review, you're already a convert.

i personally think the 1.4 TSI powered VWs are the best for a daily. makes it quite difficult to choose a hybrid over these super efficient babies.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Tom,

Really? I personally find the looks of the CRZ and the manual gb more attractive than any of the Vdubs. Not saying they are bad though.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I definitely have been on some sort of VW frenzy! And I must say that they really do engineer some incredibly fun cars to drive.

Efficiency of these 1.4 TSI engines are quite astounding; I've read that some folks are able to get 550km (combined) on a full tank, and near 700km when driven solely on highways. As far as I can tell, these numbers are close to a Civic Hybrid! I'm also not convinced by the idea of hybrid cars - while the claims are that hybrids help to save the environment, I'm not sure if the issue of battery disposal has been brought up before...

Having seen pictures of the CRZ, I must agree that it looks fantastic! That said, I don't think it should ever have been sold as a hybrid in the first place. Hybrids make most sense in urban/city areas, so I would question the decision to couple it with a manual gearbox... anyway, that it just my opinion.

The notion of a CRZ with a 1.4 TSI engine... actually, that sounds promising...

Kevin Lee

1,500 RPM
Jan 26, 2009
Kampar, Perak
i think vw already has that crz 1.4tsi , its called the scirocco tsi LOL

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
It wasn't me... it was the car! And the white one you saw was the Polo GTI that night. I'd just collected the Polo GTI earlier that afternoon, so it was pretty good timing. Luckily, no cows were injured :biggrin:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
no wonder la...
after the junction i saw a 6000k hid & white polo gti on my rear mirror....i knew it was u...so i tekan la apa lg...but after a while gave up..after u overtook me & by the time i reach the bend just before heading to damas u were long gone edi.......

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yeah, that thing is pokey as hell! Will get my write-up done on the Polo GTI very soon.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I definitely have been on some sort of VW frenzy! And I must say that they really do engineer some incredibly fun cars to drive.

Efficiency of these 1.4 TSI engines are quite astounding; I've read that some folks are able to get 550km (combined) on a full tank, and near 700km when driven solely on highways. As far as I can tell, these numbers are close to a Civic Hybrid! I'm also not convinced by the idea of hybrid cars - while the claims are that hybrids help to save the environment, I'm not sure if the issue of battery disposal has been brought up before...

Having seen pictures of the CRZ, I must agree that it looks fantastic! That said, I don't think it should ever have been sold as a hybrid in the first place. Hybrids make most sense in urban/city areas, so I would question the decision to couple it with a manual gearbox... anyway, that it just my opinion.

The notion of a CRZ with a 1.4 TSI engine... actually, that sounds promising...
In terms of saving the planet, I agree with you. TSI is the way to go! But in terms of looks and attractiveness, I guess this is very subjective and for me it's the CRZ 6-speed manual!

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
On the topic of hybrids, I would like to pen out my opinion..
I am a big fan of turbo diesels..
I hate hybrids because they 'encourage' the drive frugally (read: blindingly slow)..
They can hog at overtaking lane at around 90km/h without any regards to other road users..

And the G should enforce the Euro 4 diesel in Malaysia rather than giving lame excuses that there is no demand for this fuel..
It is a question of the chicken and the egg (although I believe many would now know the answer for this conundrum)..
If we don't have the fuel, how are the manufacturers going to bring in their awesomely frugal turbo diesel..
There is an episode on Top Gear (which I'm sure you all may have watched) where Hammond clocked more than 700 miles with just a full tank of diesel in a Golf Blue Motion..
And I am willing to bet anything that I have that no petrol or even hybrid cars in the market right now can pull off such figure..

I would seriously love to see this car in Malaysia although I may not be able to afford it for many more years to come..
But I do believe that turbo diesels do a better job than what the hybrid is supposed to do in the first place..
Hybrids should be banished to hell..
Besides with the rumor that BMW is coming out with an M5 with triple turbo diesel, I for one am definitely getting a boner to see such a beauty in our roads..

I wouldn't say that I want to see petrol engines dead (I for one LOVE the Lamborghini Aventador)..
But diesel should be the way to go for daily commuting..

My RM 0.02..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Firsly i am a noob here,just on the process of learning,my question is i am going to bot on my kelisa,so can a safc II,safc-neo or e-manage tune back my ecu after i bot?some people told me safc cant tune it back and told me to use e-manage,so i need sifu sifu out there to help me on this,really confuse on this,so sifu sifu please help a noob here thank you very much :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience