Driven: Renault Megane RS250 Cup

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
@Iszo, I've not driven enough cars to make a factual comparison but the two most recent ones were the 370Z and the RS250. Of course, both are two very different... but what I can say is that I felt more confident in the RS250 than I did the 370Z.

@moneyman, collecting it later today. Watch for some quick pics on the ZTH Facebook! Oh, there'll be a very exciting car on Monday so watch out for that as well ;)

psw

Feb 8, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Test drove the Megane once. The sales guy was kind enough to take me out for a long drive to get a good feel of the car. Having owned a Subaru STi v9 previously and now a Golf GTi mk6, IMHO this car is a little over-rated. My gripes about the car are as follows:

1. Dislike the feel of the gear change. That really loose feeling, somewhat like a gear shift of a truck/lorry. Can't exactly tell which gear I'm in as it doesn't click or slot in nicely like the gear change in the STi for instance.

2. The clutch is a bit difficult to modulate since its light and the biting point is quite high. Stalled the car numerous times when launching from standstill. Not a flaw but something that needs getting used to and only time can make right.

3. Handling is sharp, make no bones about it but the steering lacks feel. Similar to the STi, it feels light and unnerving when negotiating sharp bends. Prefer something more weighted like in the Cooper S or GTi.

4. The engine revs like a NA, no discernible turbo kick or boost like one would feel in a GTi or STi after hitting a certain rpm. Feels more linear and civilized. Needs rev to get it going fast but engine sounds flat and uninspiring, like a washing machine. Don’t be deceived by the claimed 6.1 seconds century sprint. The fastest I could clock was 6.7 seconds which is apparently the same as my mk6 GTi (tried and tested using launch control), only much more effort required. As far as shifting skills are concern, I’m no Tsuchiya but I can pull a decent 5.8 seconds with my STi.

Won, please confirm my observation above..

As a daily driver and occasional track days, I will have no qualms settling for a GTi. With upgrades like a Stage 1 tune and big brake kit for the front, it’s good enough to give the Megane a run for the money and will still cost slightly less.

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for comparing notes, psw. My feedback as per your points:

1. Agreed; slick changes but there were occasions when I forgot which gear I was in. I suspect that this problem was myself as I don't drive stick very often, so it is interesting that you mentioned this issue. Unfortunately, never driven an STi before so difficult for me to compare.

2. Did not face this problem; I never stalled the car when I had it. In comparison, the 370Z was a little more problematic for me. But like you said, this is something that can be resolved once an individual gets used to the biting point.

3. In terms of steering feel, you are correct when comparing against the Mk6 Golf GTI. Yes it is lighter, but sufficiently communicative in my opinion; I was always aware how much available grip I had when negotiating corners. I've just driven a Mk6 Golf R (review up soon) and the steering feel is definitely meatier.

4. Yes, engine is uninspiring. In truth, I feel the same way about the GTI as well as the R. That said, between the Golfs and the Megane, I will admit that the Megane is the most engaging. I also only managed sub 6 seconds zerotohundred times (although I'm admittedly 'slower' when driving stick).

Just a small insight to my thoughts having driven the Golf GTI, Megane RS250 and the Golf R: the best balanced hot-hatch (price/specs/functionality) in my opinion is the GTI.

adamshahm

500 RPM
May 17, 2006
Malaysia
what type of recaro seats that installed in renault megane? really love it...:rolleyes:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys... does anyone had this problem in their iswara?
after car wash or raining i always found water stuck at the engine bay,
some where near the battery. And according to my friends it will start to
rust after few years...
anyone do anything to prevent water stuck there? i really cant figure out
what to do.... please help....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience