Dreaded Steering Wheel Vibrations at High Speed

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
You are using spacer hub? Does it have a center ring?
Hi, we measured the bore size of the rim and center cone of my E46, measurements said it matches. By right it shouldn't vibrate.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Steering vibrate then front wheel off balance. Car body vibrate the is rear wheels off balance, probably car seat too......lol
I am still debating with the mechanic to use a center cone but he insists no need for cone, cause the size matches. Alot of BMW wheels are interchangable, furthermore, i am using using aftermarket design but OEM designed.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
On wheel is good but it doesnt explain the root of his issue. His car didnt use to do this.
Before changing to 17", everything is good and smooth, that time my wheels are still buried further in the car body, now it extended out till aligned with the car body. Mechanic said too much offset can have this issue, has something to do with the distance between wheel center and the knuckle.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Before changing to 17", everything is good and smooth, that time my wheels are still buried further in the car body, now it extended out till aligned with the car body. Mechanic said too much offset can have this issue, has something to do with the distance between wheel center and the knuckle.
Possible coz logically if some minor unbalance in the rims, it can be more magnified as it gets further away. Try do on wheel balancing at another different place, maybe they can do it more precisely? My regular place is King Of Rims in Shah Alam coz I don't know where else has it.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Possible coz logically if some minor unbalance in the rims, it can be more magnified as it gets further away. Try do on wheel balancing at another different place, maybe they can do it more precisely? My regular place is King Of Rims in Shah Alam coz I don't know where else has it.
No mood to drive the car out as i hate the vibrations, now the car is still with him. The last attempt he outsourced to his friend to do it, now he will be performing the balancing himself. Hope in his hands, he can do a perfect job.

Thanks,
Ken

minibeany

500 RPM
Apr 30, 2017
Petaling Jaya
Like that place. Their mechanic balancing with machinery and human method.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Does too much wheel offset can cause vibration ? And also my front disc rotor is floating type which 2.5' hub center hub that pushes that wheel further out from the knuckle. Rear wheel hub is stock diameter. I am actually suspecting the front of the car is now same, if not slightly wider than rear. Can that inbalance cause wheel vibrations ?
It might now that you mention it.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
If you still have your old rims/tyres, stick them in and you will know immediately whether to rule rims out.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
If you still have your old rims/tyres, stick them in and you will know immediately whether to rule rims out.
Can't do, the M3 brakes are too fxxking huge, my stock 16' can't fit at all, not even with the widest spacers.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Just found out one thing, the centre bore size of the rear wheels are not matched, therefore causes all the vibrations to the body. The front one matches due to i need to use after market wheel bearing to mount the disc rotor, and the bore size at the front is 74.5 mm. The rear is 72.5 mm. We jacked the car and put the gear in D to see the movement and noticed the wheels are hopping up and down. We just need to install the right fitment of centre cone and see whether it cures this shit.

Thanks,
Ken

Reactions: Izso

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The 330/335 brake calipers are larger and those are PNP without having to change rims. Maybe try those
Too bad i bought the M3 brakes for the M letter wordings LOL. And it came with aftermarket size floating disc rotors, it was a great deal. I even grabbed along the eibach front and rear adjustable antiroll bar so all in was a very sweet deal.

Reactions: Izso

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Dear All,

Just found out one thing, the centre bore size of the rear wheels are not matched, therefore causes all the vibrations to the body. The front one matches due to i need to use after market wheel bearing to mount the disc rotor, and the bore size at the front is 74.5 mm. The rear is 72.5 mm. We jacked the car and put the gear in D to see the movement and noticed the wheels are hopping up and down. We just need to install the right fitment of centre cone and see whether it cures this shit.

Thanks,
Ken
Congratulations. I think you found the culprit

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I am still debating with the mechanic to use a center cone but he insists no need for cone, cause the size matches. Alot of BMW wheels are interchangable, furthermore, i am using using aftermarket design but OEM designed.
The center ring make the wheels snub fit. My tayarman use white teflon, he machine out the ring.
When pull out the wheels need more punch up, down, left, right. Hahaha

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The wheel further out is original rims offset or by using spacers?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys,
Recently i went to test drive a nissan sentra b13 with sr20ve 20v and 6 speed manual gearbox.
I am quite interested in the car.
Anybody have opinions on the reliability and maintenance?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience