DIY Stock MyVi & Alza 1.5 Heat Shield

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
My family car is an Alza. I drive it weekends to fetch whole family of 3 generations to meals and shopping. My Parents + my sister + my son... It's a great economical car... trust me, it is very valued for money.

However, I realized driving on hot weather, aircon is not as cold and the engine is sluggish. A little peek under the hood, the answer was revealed.

The Air box intake pipe is in the engine compartment and it is sucking hot air from inside the engine bay. I guess this design is from Japan where during winter, it is taking warm air to prevent throttle body from freezing.

Also realised that the Aircon piping are HOT on both the H and L pipings as soon as I cut off the engine for around 5mins.

Checking my garage, I found this piece of heat shield I took out from my EvoX's Open Pod Heat Shield project. It's a industrial plastic material used widely for advertisement boards. It resist heat well and will not melt easily. (It survived 3 months in a Turbocharged engine)

Here's the picture of the heat shield in place. Just slot it in after you cut it to shape. I was very lucky as it is the same shape as the design I traced out for my EvoX project, only thing is in the Alza, I only use exactly half of it.
Do ensure that the heat shield had some curved front part towards the grill to help scoop cold air into the intake compartment.
Cable tie it to keep it in place... However I find it already fitting tightly and perfectly.

A closer look. The heat shield nicely compartmentalize the hot area from the Intake area and the Air Con piping. The intake pipe will only be sucking in cold air and fresh from this part of the engine bay

-----

Did a 30 KM drive after this DIY. The difference is felt by everyone in the car. Car accelerated smoother and easier after traffic light stops. Air Con cools down faster and have to turn the thermostat down a little...

Raya is coming and many will be traveling and traffic jams will be unavoidable. Try this little DIY that will give you and your family a more comfortable traveling experience (also to give a little power to your car instead of sucking hot air)

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Great diy...I like to see modifications that saves energy and fuel, and also improve efficiencies of systems. I did mine too but its not a heat shield haha...I just insulate the box using trocellen PE Foam + aluminium sheets. Great idea you have there.

johnsonlam

DIY King
Nov 17, 2003
Balik Pulau, KL
Any material which is heat resistant can be used.

But since this DIY is to use easily available and cost saving material, these Plastic boards available in Stationary shops and book stores works very well.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
I did this on my myvi too. And to have a better barrier between two sides, I used what's left of my PE foam to improve the thermal resistance.

1. Measure the size and cut the plastic panel accordingly...bought it in A4 size for RM1.90

2. Using acrylic double sided tape the PE foam with Aluminum cladding is sticked to the plastic panel

3. The shield is installed and tightened with cable ties.

Result: After driving for approximately 20km, I felt the heat from each side is very different. While I do not know how much it would help, I do know that the shield works as expected. :biggrin:

error0024

Dec 17, 2013
Johor Bahru
Wow very useful! bro thanks for sharing this method.
One question, about the part where you did covered it with aluminium part also. The piping.. I mean usually will have water droplets for the aircond one. Got any effect if cover that area?

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Wow very useful! bro thanks for sharing this method.
One question, about the part where you did covered it with aluminium part also. The piping.. I mean usually will have water droplets for the aircond one. Got any effect if cover that area?
That's the air cond condensing pipe.. Insulate it. Confirm you will feel the difference.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I wanna mod my 4g91...I feel my 91 like 1.3sohc engine. Cannot tapau my friend. he oso use 4g91(stock)...

So, i need someone to help me to mod my engine..please....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience