DIY Intake Ram Pipe ~

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I wanna install a open pod filter so i need a length of ram pipe to let the filter suck could air.....i want to custom one ~ but in between the filter and the throttle body,there must be a MAF sensor on the ram pipe to let it count the air-flow.....so i need a flange that can let the MAF sensor to be bolted on.....anyone know where can i get the flange or where have this kind of custom services ?

Thanks =)

Attachments

risyia

Known Member
Feb 16, 2005
Pandan Indah
Bro, no need to custom made, u can buy it off the shelf. I bought one of those generic ram pipe for Wira, saw it off to shorten it to accommodate the MAF sensor, for the flange can buy it off the shelf also, be it made from plastic or aluminium.

Just be 'rajin' to visit the acessories shops to get what u want, can try 'Kedai Abang' first .....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
for what car???

if honda or proton car can mods using "whale penis" intake :biggrin:

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
My car was a Suzuki Swift 1.5 (SS) ~

The problem was,the ram pipe was so short and charges for such expensive pipe.... 1 pipe cost 180 bucks.....i can custom longer then 2x the ram pipe for under 100 bucks ~ but the problem was i doesn't have the flange for the MAF sensor ~ hmm =S

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
errr...care to share your MAF sensor+stock airbox picture???

i've seen some ppl using those flexible rami-air pipe as replacement intake pipe from airbox to throttle body...(retain original MAF sensor and air filter)

in your case a bit risky la..u need to remove the MAF from stock airbox and DIY the adaptor using aluminium cake pan (buy from acehardware) <<this need to do some metal cutting,drilling and seal with silicon glue (those usual used on aquarium to seal your adaptor)

Wilson13B

Known Member
Dec 15, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Pomen GTR for such a details info ~

But before i do it,i want to let u all know that my ride was a Suzuki Swift 1.5 Auto,if put open pod will the performance be even worst =S

Cause some of my friend say it's useless for an Auto ~ sigh =S

kazukimy

500 RPM
Jul 14, 2006
KL/Pahang
devil-home.blogspot.com
well auto is useless?wakaka...dun think so,anyway from wat i had learned,for below 2.0 liter engine capacity,is best to use drop in type,open pod for any lower than 2.0 will do not much diff....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
its not useless....

power gain was there...

but at higher rpm range....and usually u gain power at higher rpm..but lost some torque number at lower rpm...thus u'd fell sluggish to move from stationary...especially for auto...

that's why open pod not recommended....but i'd like to suggest u buy those flexible cold-air intake (ram pipe) and replace your stock ram pipe (nozzle that suck air into airbox before air-filter)....u'd feel the different on cruise/high speed blast...better throttle respond also even better when combined with drop-in performance filter.... :adore:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
the whale penis.. u refering to this?

nope...that was flexible ram-pipe...

whale penis is actually intake pipe for B16 honda v-tec.....but numerous 4g proton also used that pipe also....

u can google it...

small on both end but big chamber in middle

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

ps: i found this....singular elephant ball.... :biggrin:

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
oh.. like that..

i never seen the penis of a whale..

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

i think if bigger in front is better.. right?

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
small on both end but big chamber in middle
actuallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.. its only small on the TB end which is about 3" if not mistaken...

but the filter end is pretty big at 6"

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
that big middle part actually to create somewhat like a buffer place for filtered air...especially when closing-opening throttle at high rpm as well as improving torque character at low rpm range...(*that from my understanding) :adore:

p/s:similiar to buffering before video playing/cd burn on pc....

Last edited:

D7zul

2,000 RPM
Feb 24, 2011
Shah Alam
that big middle part actually to create somewhat like a buffer place for filtered air...especially when closing-opening throttle at high rpm as well as improving torque character at low rpm range...(*that from my understanding) :adore:

p/s:similiar to buffering before video playing/cd burn on pc....
i think u r correct about the buffer thingy..

blacktop also have buffer in the plenum..

sample pic

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Isuzu has just released a new a variant to ever popular D-MAX line-up and it’s based on the 3.0L 4x4 D-Max, which is now dubbed the HI-DEF model hosting an improved list of features and extras to provide that unique feeling of driving an uncommon pick-up...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience