DIY install oil cooler with relocate oil filter

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Hi all DIYers,

This is my latest DIY project. I'm too lazy to write it here. But you can visit my BLOG for more stories and picture.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hi all DIYers,

This is my latest DIY project. I'm too lazy to write it here. But you can visit my BLOG for more stories and picture.

in my opinion, u need to add another supporting bracket...

afraid in long term the single bracket would be broken due to vibration (metal fatigue)

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Thanks bro for the opinion. Will try to make extra bracket to it

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
just a thought, your location is very near the exhaust manifold. How is the oil temp showing up.

ColdPlay

Known Member
Jun 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
just a thought, your location is very near the exhaust manifold. How is the oil temp showing up.
Exactly! The oil filter may turn much hotter than in its original position.
Any cooler or relocation of engine parts should be install away from the exhaust manifold
as that is where most heat are generated.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Also, why put the filter so high? The oil pressure not affected meh? And upside down, doesn't that make it a mess to cleanup everytime you remove the filter?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Also, why put the filter so high? The oil pressure not affected meh? And upside down, doesn't that make it a mess to cleanup everytime you remove the filter?
Was about to say the same thing. Sideways already bad enough, upside down will be more messy.
Yah! pressure will be affected....

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
will the metal holder knock the exhaust cover making noise ??
Nop, actually the adapter is not moving at all. The bottom fitting (which connect the adapter) are fix between it. So the bracket is just for extra holder.

The original location of the oil filter are already just beside an extractor. I don't use any gauge.

Exactly! The oil filter may turn much hotter than in its original position.
Any cooler or relocation of engine parts should be install away from the exhaust manifold
as that is where most heat are generated.
It seem that the is the best location for the relocate oil filter. Or else I need to remove washer tank and relocate oil filter to that location. The tips to did not mess up with oil when replace oil filter is replace at when engine is cold. With this kind of position, it will be very little oil left inside the oil filter.

Was about to say the same thing. Sideways already bad enough, upside down will be more messy.
Yah! pressure will be affected....
It seem that the is the best location for the relocate oil filter. Or else I need to remove washer tank and relocate oil filter to that location. The tips to did not mess up with oil when replace oil filter is replace at when engine is cold. With this kind of position, it will be very little oil left inside the oil filter.

Pressure will be affected once oil cooler are installed. It is because of inside oil cooler there is a fins in the oil cooler tube. So, it will create more restriction inside oil cooler itself.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
me2kimi, thanks for the info. I believe the oil left in the oil filter wont be much as the oil inside the filter will get pull back to the oil sump by gravity.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
me2kimi, thanks for the info. I believe the oil left in the oil filter wont be much as the oil inside the filter will get pull back to the oil sump by gravity.
That is actually not good. This means every morning there is a delay ii the oil circulating.
When you do oil change, the first time you start, engine oil got to fill the filter first before it can circulate. If you look at the oil pressure light on the dash it takes a few seconds before the lights goes off. Subsequent starts the lights goes off immediately because there is already oil in the filter.
If the oil drains back every time then every morning it got to fill the filter first....

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
Bro vr2turbo, yes that is what happening on every morning. But I believe oil left inside the head itselft is sufficient until oil reach the head.
BTW, previously (before install oil cooler and relocator) I've always replace oil and oil filter when engine are cold. What I saw is there are also few oil left inside the oil filter.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bro vr2turbo, yes that is what happening on every morning. But I believe oil left inside the head itselft is sufficient until oil reach the head.
BTW, previously (before install oil cooler and relocator) I've always replace oil and oil filter when engine are cold. What I saw is there are also few oil left inside the oil filter.
Currently, on morning start does the oil light goes off fast?

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
light goes off around 1 second after engine started. Just a bit longer than before but not too long.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
light goes off around 1 second after engine started. Just a bit longer than before but not too long.
This is what I got from Wiki

Valves
Most pressurized lubrication systems incorporate an overpressure relief valve to allow oil to bypass the filter if its flow restriction is excessive, to protect the engine from oil starvation. Filter bypass may occur if the filter is clogged or the oil is thickened by cold weather. The overpressure relief valve is frequently incorporated into the oil filter. Filters mounted such that oil tends to drain from them usually incorporate an anti-drainback valve to hold oil in the filter after the engine (or other lubrication system) is shut down. This is done to avoid a delay in oil pressure buildup once the system is restarted; without an anti-drainback valve, pressurized oil would have to fill the filter before travelling onward to the engine's working parts. This situation can cause premature wear of moving parts due to initial lack of oil.

Just sharing, because am no expert either......:rolleyes:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Lotus Racing has announced that it has agreed a deal with Red Bull Technology for the supply of gearboxes and hydraulic systems from the 2011 season and beyond. The announcement marks the next critical building block in the process of stepping up the team’s challenge for honours in the FIA Formula One™ World Championship and is a major statement of intent about their future aspirations.

Earlier on in the week...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience