DIY increase fuse's amp

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Guys, I have installed a set of HID my self last 2 months or so but surely less than 6 months. Then starting last month the (L) side HID sometimes won't turn. I've to switch off the lights and switch it back on again so that both side lights up. Some times, I've to repeat the same sequence 2~3 times then only it will light up. I gave the seller a call since its a new set, he promise he can change for me but he told me to use this method see whether it can solve this problem or not.

He told me to change the fuse for the head lights, original 15AMP to 20AMP. Larger amp can let more current through so it can power up the ballast more easily. If this don't work he can change for me. I would like to know if I upgrade from 15AMP to 20AMP will it cause any problems to the wiring or lights sockets? will it cause too much heat to the socket that it will melt? I know i can save the hassle and all this by just telling him to change a new set for me but I would also like to know if changing to a higher AMP fuse will it cause any problem.

Thanks for the help...

cacin

1,000 RPM
Mar 9, 2005
Penang
Visit site
Is the 15A fuse still ok? If yes, I would like to think that the installer is BSing you.
The only reason that you would want to change a fuse is if your components draw more current than what the fuse can handle. Since the fuse does not 'blow' that means the current draw should be under 15Amps. Changing to higher fuse rating provides risk of fire if your original wires can't handle the new rating. If the fuses are OEM, best case, is the oem wires can handle a little bit higher than the 15A rating, however, OEM might skimp on their wire gauge size and use a wire that can only handle 15A max. That's the reason they put the 15A fuse there in the first place.
I strongly advise you to not change the fuse and take risk of fire. Get a replacement unit from the seller.
Hope this helps.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We are all the way in a rural village to get this Nissan Xtrail corrected and Opti-Coated. The car is brand new, barely reaching 3 days old. Due to its area of activity, its constantly exposed to mud, rain, bad road conditions, etc.

Upon arrival, we...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience