DIY in-car boot release cable (repair)

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Oh SNAP! That's what happened to my boot-release cable recently. You know, the one where you just pull the lever near the driver's seat and it opens the rear boot? Well the cable snapped! After asking around, not many mech really want to repair it, or should I say, change it's cable. I'm driving an AE92 Toyota, and one mech even said he wants to modify a Wira boot cable for my car. I was worried because I dunno how long it would last. So to cut things short, I bought a cable from a parts shop for RM45 (kinda expensive for a cable just like the bicycle's brake cable, only longer and thicker). A mech wants RM40 for workmanship, but he was going for a tea-break. First thing that came to my mind: DIY! :idea:

Okay so here's how. (btw sorry if I'm uploading small pics, noob here)

What you need: 10 spanner and 14 ratchet, Phillips and flat screwdriver. Vacuum cleaner (while you're at it) :rofl:

Okay so this is the thingy that needs to be repaired, the cable is connected to the mechanism under the carpet (PIC 1)
Notice when the cable snaps, the lever feels loose (duh!) (PIC2)
PICS 3&4 shows the cable's end at the boot lock.

Okay so what we need to do first is to take out the door leg-panel (i dunno what its called) PIC 5
And the front seat as well, because the lever mechanism is directly under the seat's bolt. PIC 6
Looks like I found some hidden treasure here! :rofl:

Flip the carpet and you will see the mechanism at PIC 7. There will be a bolt there, release it and take out the mechanism.. The other cable is the fuel cap door release.. This is how it looks like PIC 8 (sorry, using camera phone only).
And this is the reason we need to change the cable PIC 9.

Now we go to the boot and take out the boot lock mechanism. PIC 10 notice the green thingy, there will be a thin bar attached to the boot's key-lock and it should be attached there. If you don't attach the bar to it, you won't be able to open the boot with your key! PIC 11 shows the cable taken out.

Notice the cable has two types of end, a round an a cylinder-shaped one. PIC 12.
Now the cable should already be taken out. The tricky bit is to slide in in from the C-pillar to the boot. I had to take out the rear seat for better visibility and working area PICS 13 & 14.

Once managed to slide it into the boot, fix it to the boot lock mechanism PIC 15. You might wanna fasten the cable to the boot (like in PIC 4) or it might be dangling..

Now fix the other end to the lever and fasten the mechanism to the floor PIC 16.

DO NOT CLOSE BOOT YET! Give it a try, pull the lever and try it with the key as well.. Once satisfied, Close the boot and try it. PIC 17.

Job done! took me an hour plus to do this, but satisfied hehehehe.. Oh yeah and i saved RM40, bought myself a Samurai Burger :rofl:

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

:biggrin:

Nicely done dude! Always good to save a few bucks and waste a few hours doing something that's pure satisfaction when done right!

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
thank you all!
DanzEterna: yeah, its pretty straightforward job, like changing a bicycle's brake cable. only thing is the hassle of taking out the seats and stuff (if necessary).

P/S: due to positive feedbacks on my DIY, I'm gonna do another DIY: engine transplant! :rofl:
okay okay just kidding! I just own basic tools only :wavey:

ae92 corolla

Known Member
Aug 22, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Good job bro... Im driving AE92 as well and my boot cable are loose and unable to open the boot from the rear key point.... Wil it be okay once i change the cables??

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
Good job bro... Im driving AE92 as well and my boot cable are loose and unable to open the boot from the rear key point.... Wil it be okay once i change the cables??
Thank you bro.
When you say loose, does the lever under the seat feels 'free'? When you pull it, does it have any tension? If yes, the cable might have snapped.
If you can't open your boot with your key, then try taking out the mechanism at the boot n see if the key-rod is attached to it (refer figure 9). I think your lock mechanism is faulty, open it and take a look, that way you could check if the cable has snapped or it just came out from its end.

Oh Wait, you have to open the boot first to take out the lock mechanism! I suggest you take your car to a key smith to open it first.

ae92 corolla

Known Member
Aug 22, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Hi bro... i can still open the boot. The lever is kinda abit loose and its sometime like stuck when i use the lever to open... But i cant use key to open the boot anymore

Thinking of changing the mechanism soon...

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
I see.. i suspect something is wrong with the boot mechanism.. try to open it out, it might just be simple fix, and most probably it will solve your lever looseness issue.. :wavey: