[DIY] Flush ATF and change filter

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hey guys, changing the ATF filter in the vios is almost the same like the Myvi right ? Also has the clips thingy
Honestly I haven't had the chance to fiddle with a Vios GB yet. But traditional torque converter GBs are generally the same

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Honestly I haven't had the chance to fiddle with a Vios GB yet. But traditional torque converter GBs are generally the same
I think I might have seen before in the Toyota service center.
I used to intern there as a technician. Not sure whether I saw wrongly.

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Oh! My friend in engineering all go intern in factories. Automotive then intern in car workshop.......lol
Yea, same here. most of my friends intern in consulting and factories lol. I was the only one in my class and the first guy from the mechanical engineering faculty to intern at a service centre according to my previous lecturer

Vincent0001

Mar 8, 2019
To do this you'll need the following :

1. Manufacturers spec ATF x 4L (minimally. May need up to 6L)
2. ATF filter, gasket (optional)
3. Gasket removal tool and hammer
4. Automotive hose (about 2m)
5. Something to catch the oil with, in this case I used Tesco's RM14.80 plastic box (medium sized)
6. Rachet and size 10 T-Wrench (optional but damn useful)
7. A funnel to pour oil into the ATF dipstick.

Firstly, drain as much oil as you can. Even after you drain, there'll still be a lot lying in the pan so really let it drain as much as possible otherwise it'll get messy later. Replace the drain bolt once done.

Remove all the size 10 (usually) bolts holding the pan up. In my case there are 11 bolts and clean them as much as possible to remove the old gasket remenants.

Using the gasket removal tool and a hammer, slice into the old gasket and carefully remove the pan. Get ready to catch the pan once you've hammered enough of the gasket away.

Clean the pan of the old gasket and oil.

Here is the old filter. Clean up whatever oil you can and remove the old gasket as well. Don't scrape too hard in case you scratch the surface. Then remove the filter itself. In the case of my Myvi, it's held up by 3 clips. You can access 2 and pry them out then gently rock the 3rd hidden clip out and it's out. Careful because there's oil here too so catch all the oil in the collector (Tesco box) otherwise it'll be really messy. And smelly. And Oily. Etc.

Old filter vs new filter. Look at the filter element itself, very big difference! This is why you should change your ATF filter regularly.

Using gasket sealant, lay it on the clean pan (thick), then put the gasket on top and lay on another thick layer of sealant.

Place the pan back and screw all the bolts back. Gently at first - do not tighten until you have all the bolts in place. Since these are small and thin size 10 bolts, do not overtighten. Remember the strength you needed to remove them? Use the same to tighten it back. It might squeeze out some of the sealant - that's perfectly normal. You can scrape it off later when it cures.

Identify the two outlets coming from your gearbox. One of these is an inlet and the other is an outlet. In the case of my Myvi, the outlet is the one on the right. Attach the 2m hose to the outlet hose and direct the hose into the catching container (Tesco box).

Fill your gearbox with approximately 2L of oil (different cars may vary).

Start your car and you'll start to see oil flowing out from the hose into your container. Keep topping up the oil through the dipstick area (using your funnel) and monitor the oil flowing out. Once it's clear and clean, shut off your engine.

Replace the original hose (or in my case the ATF cooler hose), check your oil level again and you're done.

Difficulty level : I'd say 5/10
Time taken : 3 hours (I really took my time cuz I had to take pictures and all)
Pissing off your neighbor because of the flowery smell ATF emits..... Priceless!

:biggrin:
Your transmission pan original don't have magnet inside? Is all the Myvi don't have magnet or 1st generation Myvi only? :confused::driver::driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Din't see it at the picture mah, haha. Then u said put hard disk magnet near the drain plug, so I thought don't have lo. haha. Miss understanding
The original magnet for the car is very very weak. The Myvi is a 2006 so a failed magnet is more than expected. Hence I added the hard disc magnets as a safety net.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys. My friend's Yellow EG Ferios was stolen last Sunday, 2AM at MBO, Terminal Two Seremban. He went there to watch a movie. So please be extra careful if you go there. The place is equipped with CCTV but were told that not all are functioning. Below is the info of the stolen car:

1. Yellow colored EG ferio
2. Black front hood
3. Bronze CE28 replica rims
4. Plate number JCP 1636

Kindly please contact me at 013 if you happen to see the car anywhere.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience