[DIY] Cleaning your throttle body

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I see the butterfly valve on my carb is not dirty at all since fuel always
drip on it and get it wet. So carb cleaner for me is no fun since there is
nothing to be clean and even i spray on the carb hole, i feel no difference.
Perhaps its already clean. So buying a carb cleaner and did the job, the
return is zero satisfaction.

I dun know doin the below is right or not.

To clean off carbon inside combustion chamber, i asked my wife to rev up
the engine to 2k rpm, then i remove the hose from the PCV valve and spray
carb cleaner into the hose so that the cleaner could get right into the intake
manifold after the carb. What unexpected is, when i spray the cleaner in,
the engine will rev itself higher though my wife is holding the throttle constant
at 2k rpm. I tot the engine would sputter and wanna die, but instead it rev up,
this effect is totally unlike the when spray onto carb, the engine would sputter.
And one more thing i found out is, if u dun rev the engine and let it idle, taking
off the hose from the PCV valve would stall the engine, i think maybe due to
massive air leak, but instead if u remove the PCV valve from the valve cover
with the hose still attached, the engine would still idle due to there is still some
restriction in the PCV valve, not like a free flow and massive air leak alike.
I admire your courage to try things! And you're right, the will sputter but it's not going to die just because you yanked out the PCV. But I doubt cleaner sprayed into the hose will do much. I'm not a carbie head and when I owned one I wasn't very well versed with the carbie. Hopefully some carbie like Fred will come in and shed some light.

thanks izso..is it possible to DIY this on satria neo?..surely this thing will fill up my weekend..
Yes of course it's possible. Just need to know where your PCV is

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Hello bro izso,
for this diy, after cleaning the throttle body using petrol and fix back everything and finally start the car but the car timing lari..
During idle time,the timing was not stable..
Is it the same thing if we take out negative terminal of the battery to reset the ecu with reset at perodua??

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hello bro izso,
for this diy, after cleaning the throttle body using petrol and fix back everything and finally start the car but the car timing lari..
During idle time,the timing was not stable..
Is it the same thing if we take out negative terminal of the battery to reset the ecu with reset at perodua??
You always run a risk of upsetting the ISC motor in the TB, were you gentle with the cleaning? No sudden shakes or knocks? If yes then the ISC has been messed up. You just need to reset the ECU and clear the fault codes. I've tried taking out the battery but the result isn't the same as using the machine to reset the ECU.

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
You always run a risk of upsetting the ISC motor in the TB, were you gentle with the cleaning? No sudden shakes or knocks? If yes then the ISC has been messed up. You just need to reset the ECU and clear the fault codes. I've tried taking out the battery but the result isn't the same as using the machine to reset the ECU.
i did accidently knock the tb and don't have the chance to take out the battery to test the result but being advised to reset at perodua..
thanks for the info..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
That's a good question. I've no idea! But I don't see any harm of pulling out the battery unless you have a piggy back or standalone. If yes then better not.

calvint78

Mar 14, 2006
JB
my kelisa accelerator is like stuck when pressing, and i need to press hard. i suspect is my TB maybe got dirt, so i decide to diy clean TB.
anyway am using WD40, first am using tissue paper, spray to tissue paper and then wipe the butterfly and around the inner side. u will see ur white tissue paper become black like batu arang. as i do not remove out the TB, am using my little finger to squee in every corner of TB and clean it until i satisfied. after done test press the accelerator, wow! become smooth and few day later, my fuel consumption is more better. Am relieve and save some $$$ from goin to workshop being kena chop.
PRICELESSSSSS!!!!

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
But as a general rule, I don't recommend WD40 as the oil will still get sucked into the manifold eventually - not quite a good thing but not gonna kill you

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
bro,if electronics type throttle body ,is it necessary to take out battery if wan diy clean it??
u cant open the tb wit ur fingers...it will just damage the tb

a fren of mine(mechanic) helping a customer clean his nissan x-trail....which he tot can use the same method....electronic type tb...he open the butterfly wit finger as usual...after clean and start the engine...

check engine light pop-on the dashboard and after diagnosed...the tb is gone. replaced the new one for customer. try to earn rm70 end up paid rm1xxx for the tb

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
u cant open the tb wit ur fingers...it will just damage the tb

a fren of mine(mechanic) helping a customer clean his nissan x-trail....which he tot can use the same method....electronic type tb...he open the butterfly wit finger as usual...after clean and start the engine...

check engine light pop-on the dashboard and after diagnosed...the tb is gone. replaced the new one for customer. try to earn rm70 end up paid rm1xxx for the tb
Nice info bro..i didn't know that..
Lucky my TB still fine..

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
bro Izso,
ur DIY really inspired me to clean my TB...thx a lot...Immediately, I went to the nearest spare part/hardware shop to buy the necessary stuff..I followed all the steps given by u...unfortunately, during installing all those nuts, hose, sensors,etc, I figure out that the smaller rubber O ring left...I immediately look again at ur DIY and there are two types of rubber O ring...I really thought that smaller O ring is the new one that u want to replace...please advice me the exact location of the small rubber O ring...huhu...

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
bro Izso,
ur DIY really inspired me to clean my TB...thx a lot...Immediately, I went to the nearest spare part/hardware shop to buy the necessary stuff..I followed all the steps given by u...unfortunately, during installing all those nuts, hose, sensors,etc, I figure out that the smaller rubber O ring left...I immediately look again at ur DIY and there are two types of rubber O ring...I really thought that smaller O ring is the new one that u want to replace...please advice me the exact location of the small rubber O ring...huhu...
Here on the plastic intake manifold before u put ur Throttle body.
*Not inside manifold.:rofl:

samurai76

Feb 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
thx bro...I did the TB cleaning process yesterday night..thats why I couldnt notice the smaller o-ring...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi
I have a 2005 model Proton Waja 1.6 automatic. Recently I notices that when I switched on the head lamp the "R" indicator light was on slightly when I was driving the car, and the right signal light blink faster than normal when I make a right turn.

No such problem is observed if I do not switch on the head lamp.

Any one encountered similar problem and any suggested solution ?

Thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience