DIY: Changing Myvi absorbers.... solves the kluk kluk sound.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
I saw a guy posted in his blog, he didn't use spring compressors, he unscrew the absorber mounting, slowly jack up the car and the strut slowly comes out. After he use another jack to jack the lower arm to put the new absorber mounting into place since the spring compressor was not there with them. It's in baikisendiri blog but I think now the blog was removed, couldn't find it.

I haven't tried doing it yet. This is just what I read from the blog. Any sifus here can confirm ?
This is an interesting method. Had not seen this before, but understanding your explanation, it should be doable. Dangerous, but doable.....

edit: found a video on youtube showing the technique.

Yeah seems pretty doable, only thing IMO is to loosen/tighten back that center nut might be a problem as the shaft with the threads can turn when you turn the nut, usually we use an impact wrench to loosen and tighten them back up. But you can try. All the best.

Last edited:

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
https://www.diytacra.com/2014/10/top-mounting-absorber-replacement.html

This guy did it on his Proton car.
he removed the upper part of the drop link to allow the strut to come down slowly.
He also said this

langkah ini hanya boleh dilakukan bagi mereka yang menggunakan adjustable atau spring sport sahaja. sekiranya menggunakan spring standard anda perlulah mengeluarkan keseluruhan absorber dan memprosesnya di luar kerana tekanan spring standard sangat kuat jika dibandingkan dengan adjustable atau spring sport
He's using an adjustable coilover suspension and the spring pre-load is very low. He also say that it is better to remove completely and use a spring compressor as standard car springs have a very high amount of preload due to it being alot softer than coilover suspension springs. I personally think it's do-able, but not sure if you should....

Don't later just because you want to save RM120, you end up spending even more when you remove the absorber halfway and encounter complications and ending up have to call a mechanic for on site service lol

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
True bro lol.
Need to think it thoroughly and really know how it works before doing it. Later do halfway dunno how to do. gone man.

found another guy who did it on his toyota tacoma. the spring damn big.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
True bro lol.
Need to think it thoroughly and really know how it works before doing it. Later do halfway dunno how to do. gone man.

found another guy who did it on his toyota tacoma. the spring damn big.
Then again nobody had done this before(that I know of), so no matter how much research you do pun in the end still trial and error saja. I saw on YouTube 1 video a guy change some spring off some American car and that spring barely have any preload as well! Really depends on the car

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yeah seems pretty doable, only thing IMO is to loosen/tighten back that center nut might be a problem as the shaft with the threads can turn when you turn the nut, usually we use an impact wrench to loosen and tighten them back up. But you can try. All the best.
Was about to say the same thing, if need to lock the nut cannot reach the shaft....lol

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Alright. Thanks, guys for your opinions.
You guys are legends man. I've been reading up on alot of posts from you guys. and learning from here and there.
Vr2turbo, Nightstalker1993 and Izso.

Nightstalker1993, you studied engineering is it ? I saw one of your posts in lowyat forum regarding on turbocharger.

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
Alright. Thanks, guys for your opinions.
You guys are legends man. I've been reading up on alot of posts from you guys. and learning from here and there.
Vr2turbo, Nightstalker1993 and Izso.

Nightstalker1993, you studied engineering is it ? I saw one of your posts in lowyat forum regarding on turbocharger.
Wahhh what post you dig up worr until can find me talking about turbocharger on LYN :laugh:

What makes you think I'm an engineer lerr :burnout:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Install the top mount first on the chassis, then slowly align the spring and jack up the lower arm with the absorber still attached. Theoretically possible...
Fitting it up is possible. What I meant is the absorber center shaft, how to lock the top nut tight as the shaft spins if not held down.....

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Fitting it up is possible. What I meant is the absorber center shaft, how to lock the top nut tight as the shaft spins if not held down.....
My coursemate who worked as a technician in the workshop said can use vice grip to hold the shaft from moving

Nightstalker1993

Known Member
Aug 30, 2010
Subang Jaya
That's why I say usually we use impact wrench. If he lucky the shaft somehow friction enough with the mount then it won't spin that much gua. If he's lucky la ..

Nice lar Bro,
I need to figure out which line to go into after graduating as a mechanical engineer.
Well, definitely not aviation. Took me 5 years of my life just to study it. It's not a field you can just enter after having an engineering degree though unless you're into designing aircrafts, which means not Malaysia lol. Technically I'm just an SPM graduate haha

My coursemate who worked as a technician in the workshop said can use vice grip to hold the shaft from moving
That may or may not be possible, but I don't think you would want to hold the threaded portion with a vice grip, or basically any portion of the shaft, if you can reach it... But you can try

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yes, if the absorber have been removed out. If inside and under your fender how to vise grip the shaft? You can only grip the top part not the middle part, because if you damage the middle, it might leak oil.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi there,

I am planning for the following Yokohama tyres for my 2 cars, one using 195.55.15 and another is 180.60.14

After some research online and offline, found that Advan Neova AD07 only have size for my 195.55.15 while AVS ES100 have sizes of both.

Also known that the UTQG for AD07 is 180 AA A and ES100 is 280 AA A. If I am going to take AD07 for the 15" and ES 100 for the 14", would this be my good choices?

Need your experiences on both tyres model in terms of dry, wet, treadwear...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience