DIY: Changing Myvi absorbers.... solves the kluk kluk sound.

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Hi All,

Today I bring to you not a detailing journey of mine but a recent DIY that I did for my wife's Myvi. Car has been driven around for 7 years and it is giving out this "kluk kluk" sound on any uneven roads. That sound annoys me and after much research (not really, just a few read up), and it seems to point to the absorber mounts being worn out. So...... since I am taking out the mounts, might as well change the absorbers as well. More to be told at the end of this journey.

So...... this is the parts you will need. 1 pair rear absorbers, 1 pair front absorbers, 1 pair front absorber mounts and 1 pair rubber spring seat. A tool box with magical tools and wands, scissor jack and the ever so trusty WD40,

First thing to do is to.... remove the wheels. Red box is for nuts that you will need to remove.

Then you will need to remove the wipers and wiper cover in order to access to the two of the nuts on the top mount.

This is the plastic wiper cover. Its held by a few clips. Just pull and it will come out.

Top mount, circled in red is the two nuts you need to remove. Another red circle is a rubber cover that you need to remove to access the back nut. Just push and it will pop out.

Once you got the absorber out (after removing all 4 nuts from bottom and top, you will need to angle around to find a position to remove the absorber from the bottom.). You will need a pneumatic wrench to dismantle the absorbers. Not to say its not possible with a box spanner but it sure makes things faster with a pneumatic wrench

AND........... THIS IS HOW NOT TO OPEN AN ABSORBER..... I opened it without the springs clammed hence it just shot out and luckily hit a wall.

This is the inches of tension from the spring. Had a bit of a hard time compressing it after that...

So... this is the absorber mount that needed replacing. It was basically loose and wobbling around. New one don't even move when you try to twist it.

THIS is HOW we should dismantle the absorber. Coil spring compressor attached to the springs first before removing the top nut holding everything together. I am also arranging it in the order that it was dismantled in case anyone wants to do the same and sorta forgot the order of the assembly.

This is the rubber spring seats. Wasn't really that badly broken but heck.... for RM8 each, I will just change it together. Saves me the effort of doing all over again when it breaks next time,.

A closer look at the already starting to worn out rubber spring seats.

New VS Old absorbers. New one is still compressed by a pin.

After assembling back everything the way it was removed, install it back to the car and WAALAAA, kau tim.

Now.... we move on to the rear absorbers....

OKAY... finish...... fast rite....

Why so fast you may wonder....... cause, you only need to remove this bolt...

And this bolt...

Yeap, rear absorber for Myvi is only held by two bolts. Remove, replace and reinstall. Btw, comparison of Old VS New. You will notice that the old absorber is shorter than the new one. This is because it has collapse as I will call it and does not provide any shock absorbing anymore.

Time spend: About 2 hours in total.
Things used: 100Plus isotonik drink, muscle, box spanners of various sizes, pneumatic wrench, 2.5hp air compressor to operate the pneumatic wrench, coil spring compressor, 2 scissor jack, 1 hydraulic jack.
Satisfaction level: Pretty good when the wifey says.... WEEE no more kluk kluk sound.

Note:
- Some of the tools I used here may not be available at home garage... like the pneumatic wrench, air compressor and coil spring compressor. But you can always purchase it. Hehe.
- I was lucky the Myvi's coil spring is not strong enough to break a hand, just enough to sprang everything all over the place.
- The absorbers were the original replacement... which is Kayaba. Since wifey don't really drive like a mad person, original was best for her. Comfort over performance hence I did not went the aftermarket performance absorbers.
- This was a fun DIY. Easy and straighforward. No need to think much
- I did not use my 3 tonne hydraulic jack for this DIY cause my new house's car porch is slanted a bit too much hence I opt for the scissor jack with a smaller base.
- I would however suggest anyone attempting this DIY to buy A stand and use that instead. There has been reports of hydraulic jacks and scissor jack collapsing while in use.
- Some of you all may ask... won't this DIY affect the alignment and camber..... well, it did not.

So guys and gals (if any), please leave your comments/feedback be it good, bad, gibberish and what not.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i use zipties for clamping the front spring of a myvi recently during topmount change :rofl: and i didnt remove the absorber from knuckle...because just replacing the topmount..and didnt want to mess with alignment too much.... :driver:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i use zipties for clamping the front spring of a myvi recently during topmount change :rofl: and i didnt remove the absorber from knuckle...because just replacing the topmount..and didnt want to mess with alignment too much.... :driver:
Ya bro saw your fb. :biggrin:

Nice DIY bro Dark Accoon.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Ya bro saw your fb. :biggrin:

Nice DIY bro Dark Accoon.

picture while ziptie-ing it before removing the top mount... :biggrin::rofl:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I wanna try your version of the DIY. Where do you have pics man?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
If u have a socket set,u wont need to remove the plastic cover.
The price for a single plastic clip is ridiculus if u broke one.

last time i was lazy to compress the old spring before removing the top mount on the waja.so just remove the top nut with impact wrench as i did that before with little drama.
that time the top mount was jammed on the absorber top threaded end and the nut was removed.as i was abt to touch the top mount the it free itself and fly for about 5 feet.lucky no one is around.

On a viva,if the tuk3 sound only happen when i release the brake pedal during braking and the car is still moving is it the absorber mount too?
It does not like tuk3,just single tuk.

The zip tie method is interesting.will give it a try for next change.

whats the price for the absorber set?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
I wanna try your version of the DIY. Where do you have pics man?
i only took 1 picture...while doing it halfway....because of dirty hand.... so the picture is above your post.....

*iszo...so the step is like..remove tyre...(sure after putting the car on jack stand) then use the jack again but this time jack right at the balljoint (knuckle area) and lift untill the car body also lifted which compress the spring to max body load....

then u can start use the zipties..plenty of it...

the total number of zipties i use was around double than in the picture...zigzagging across the whole spring circle and height...to distribute the load on them evenly as possible.....if u got bigger and stronger zipties also that will help alot...me just use cheap bought the stuff a bag (100-200pcs/bag)... :biggrin:

then just a matter of removing the topmount nuts (not a problem if using air impact-wrench which in my case i use electric impact-wrench)....and u might need a little leverage from prybar to totally clear the topmount from the suspension body in not so narrow suspension turret (chassis)

*sorry :shakehands: DarkAccoon if this makes u feels like me hijacking your thread....just that since it was the similar car....so i share it here..hope u were ok with that :nurse::tee:

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

On a viva,if the tuk3 sound only happen when i release the brake pedal during braking and the car is still moving is it the absorber mount too?
It does not like tuk3,just single tuk.

The zip tie method is interesting.will give it a try for next change.

whats the price for the absorber set?

if during braking only i will look into the brake caliper and lower arm bushing first... :driver:

DarkAccoon

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
*sorry :shakehands: DarkAccoon if this makes u feels like me hijacking your thread....just that since it was the similar car....so i share it here..hope u were ok with that :nurse::tee:
Bro, no worries. Sharing is caring. I was also thinking of the zip ties method. but the price for a pair of coil spring compressor was only around RM60. To me, it seems like a good investment as I like to take things apart.

One thing i did notice is that I do not really need to compress the spring much. Took the entire absorber out, just mount the coil spring compressor and tighten till it is firmly grabbing the springs. Didn't really need to compress any more than that.

And yes, if the spring sprang open when you remove the top nut... it can really be dramatic.

Reactions: alcyon

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Bro, no worries. Sharing is caring. I was also thinking of the zip ties method. but the price for a pair of coil spring compressor was only around RM60. To me, it seems like a good investment as I like to take things apart.

One thing i did notice is that I do not really need to compress the spring much. Took the entire absorber out, just mount the coil spring compressor and tighten till it is firmly grabbing the springs. Didn't really need to compress any more than that.

And yes, if the spring sprang open when you remove the top nut... it can really be dramatic.

yep..agree with proper method...but that time god knows where was my spring compressor missing.. :banghead:

and since myvi spring actually quite soft (low spring rate) hence the zipties works.....if any other bigger car i doubt it would work....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if got extra pair of hand...just ask one person push down the absorber topmount on the spring while another person lock the main nut on top.... because the spring was really soft... :biggrin: :rofl:

Kevinho

Known Member
Mar 4, 2018
Puchong
Hi guys,
I'm gonna replace the Myvi absorber mounting,
I need some advice from the sifus here,
do I need to compress the spring before removing the absorber mounting ?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Hi guys,
The original absorbers? If yes, then you need to compress the springs....

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
Hi guys,
Yes, you need to compress the spring to detach the absorber mounting. Btw, you can opt for alza's mounting (bearing mounting) instead of rubber type mounting.

Benefit:
1. Durable than rubber type (myvi ori is suck).
2. Improve handling.
3. it's plug & play (cucuk dan main).

cons:
1. Higher ride height.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi guys, as topic states my coilovers need a rebuild. So far only place that rebuilds hypermax 2 that I've been able to find is Garage R in Singapore.

Suggestions?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience