[DIY] Automatic Gearbox Cooler

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hmm, should I go back and change to a smaller sized one?
Since the halfcut tauke say I can come back to change unit if not satisfied.
how many rows is recommended for a small car actually?

from the picture....the cooler size is about 3size of your palm....

u should get around 1.5/2size of your palm at max....

which is around 7-11row

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Hi, sorry to bring up old post.
I read through this thread and decided to get one ATF cooler for an Atos. Search in halfcut and found a Pajero oil cooler.
Is this oil cooler too big for my ATF, I asked some ppl they said is too big, so I'm here for some opinions. :itsme:
Thanks in advance
The ATF is too big for Atos. In terms of dimension, I worried that the big size may not fit into the void between the bumper of Atos.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi, sorry to bring up old post.
I read through this thread and decided to get one ATF cooler for an Atos. Search in halfcut and found a Pajero oil cooler.
Is this oil cooler too big for my ATF, I asked some ppl they said is too big, so I'm here for some opinions. :itsme:
Thanks in advance
My Myvi one was bigger than that. The issue isn't the rows, it's how it'll fit in if it's too large. I don't think it's an issue fitting that in your Atos though. That's my opinion.

g9000z

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for all the inputs.
As a start, I will try to fit it to Atos 1st. If not fit, I will switch to a smaller-sized one.
If I really manage to fit it, I will test drive it 1st to see whether it is ok. If not ok, I will switch to a smaller-sized one also.
If test drive ok, I will just stick to this la.

My question, how to know whether my AT tranny has enough oil pressure?
will it be jerking when low pressure? will it be fine when the pressure is low and I do the test drive?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Thanks for all the inputs.
As a start, I will try to fit it to Atos 1st. If not fit, I will switch to a smaller-sized one.
If I really manage to fit it, I will test drive it 1st to see whether it is ok. If not ok, I will switch to a smaller-sized one also.
If test drive ok, I will just stick to this la.

My question, how to know whether my AT tranny has enough oil pressure?
will it be jerking when low pressure? will it be fine when the pressure is low and I do the test drive?
best case it would just change rpm of the gear shiftpoint...

worst case it would jerk.....

but nothing really harm it so bad...as long as there is enough ATF according to dipstick reading

g9000z

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Ok then, will bring 1 quart of ATF for standby.
And also, where can I get the fittings for the cooler? since the pipes all been cut.
Any car accessories shop got sell ah?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Ok then, will bring 1 quart of ATF for standby.
And also, where can I get the fittings for the cooler? since the pipes all been cut.
Any car accessories shop got sell ah?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Spare part shop will have. Get the correct size. Are you going to DIY?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Try unbolting the metal "hose" (similar to brake line) and see if you have a protruding pipe. If you do, just buy ATF rubber hoses from spare parts shops (about 4-5m will be more than enough) and hose clamps (4 pieces). Shave sharp edges from the protruding portion and just connect. Bring the cooler to the spare parts shop when buying the hose for easy fitment testing. Try to get the ATF hose, not just any old oil hose. The ATF hose is more resistant to heat and less flexible (tougher) compared to oil hoses.

If you don't have a protruding pipe, just swap it in. Those metal ball head connector type thingies are quite a pain to work with.

g9000z

May 2, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Spare part shop will have. Get the correct size. Are you going to DIY?
I'm going to DIY it at my mechanic's house, I will just help him prepare all the stuffs that he might need when installation

Try unbolting the metal "hose" (similar to brake line) and see if you have a protruding pipe. If you do, just buy ATF rubber hoses from spare parts shops (about 4-5m will be more than enough) and hose clamps (4 pieces). Shave sharp edges from the protruding portion and just connect. Bring the cooler to the spare parts shop when buying the hose for easy fitment testing. Try to get the ATF hose, not just any old oil hose. The ATF hose is more resistant to heat and less flexible (tougher) compared to oil hoses.

If you don't have a protruding pipe, just swap it in. Those metal ball head connector type thingies are quite a pain to work with.
Ok, I will need sometime to digest your instruction since I'm new to this.
Maybe I will get what you mean later after I start doing it.

Thanks all! will update again later

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I'm going to DIY it at my mechanic's house, I will just help him prepare all the stuffs that he might need when installation

Ok, I will need sometime to digest your instruction since I'm new to this.
Maybe I will get what you mean later after I start doing it.

Thanks all! will update again later
That is nice, can DIY at mechanic's house. Get stuck got back up.....hahhahahah:rofl: