Discussion On Your Daily Ride

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Well, was abt to choose Hankook (entry model but not the kinergy) that time but I am pencen going fast already...hardly go above 100kmh...hahah.
They are 11th biggest in the world. My friend using in his City too. Have 2 factories in EU and they are MU sponsors.......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have always wondered why the waja center vents were facing the drivers side. One of,my co-workers crashed her waja badly. I thought it was canted to one side because of the crash. From your write up, it is standard.
It's one of those weird "driver focused" everything dashes. Even the aircon vents don't really face anyone but the driver.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Ready to launch the car into orbit! :lol:
And when you step on the brakes to stop on the moon, the tires will skid and you’ll end up in the sun.

Reactions: 6UE5t

LimauKanker

Known Member
Aug 27, 2018
but driver focus dash is common..

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I got free time so here it is... the much avoided by the masses and much disgust by owners ( whom don't know how to take care ) Proton Waja 1.8X. Last time Proton uses the "x" to denote premium variant.

The car is bought in 2002 by my dad. Its either this or the Nissan Sentra. IN the end he chooses this due to the equipment and spec. I guess everyone is familiar with the Waja as we can still see it everyday from the beat up 1.6 model company car to the make up evo wannabe. The exterior is nothing to shout about but to me its unique as it still retain the boxy look for It times.

Like I mentioned, nothing special. What I like is how focus the front headlight are be it in low beam or high beam mode. I was using Osram NBP at one time but the short lifespan makes me return to OE bulb. There are 3 item on the outside which is different with 1.6 model. They are the twin tail pipe, 1.8 badge (obviously) but on one side only..mine is missing, and lastly the larger front disc. Hard to spot eh...
The front brake pad is the same with Volvo S40, not sure which model. BTW the front discs are new.
How is the Apollo tires? Its noisy but very comfortable in absorbing bumps. I am no longer as fast as before so it suffice for me.

Inside is almost the same with other 1.6 at first glance. But if u look closer, the 1.8X got auto aircond. Not sure if 1.6X got it too.
The leather is of much better quality that what we get with modern proton nowadays. The aircond centre vent will still blow cold air to the drivers face even if one set the louver to left most. Waja drivers are cool for a reason.
I have totally forgotten what it feels like to seat at the back. What I like about the back is the C-pillar light and the rear 12V socket. Even modern cars still come with no power outlet at the back. Rear is pretty much VIP lounge with dark magic tint and the sunshade. Eagle eyed reader will spot the designed tint I applied on the C-pillar small glass section.

Basic gadget. Immobiliser is only on 1.8 version and its from Cobra. Auto flip side mirror also only on 1.8 version.
So if u see a waja parked with both its side mirror flipped, u know that car is 'different'.

This is the rear suspension and undercarriage area. Those shock are from Proride. The 2 multi link arm has been change few years ago.

This is where all the difference are made. Renault F4P engine. VVT is only on 1 side-intake. The UR bar is unique for 1.8 model. The gearbox is a gem...DPO gearbox. most mech will said its problematic all the time but just look at my mileage below;

The normal 4 speeder ( overdrive ) torque converter shifts very quick and adapt very quick. It also downshift to assist braking under certain situation. FC wise, last calculation was 14km.l.

This could be how it achieve 14km/l. the engine is practically sleeping during everyday drive.

Aisin VVT pulley only at intake side. It will change 16 degree if the throttle is depress beyond 90%. The engine picture was taken when I encounter timing belt tensioner meltdown due to over mileage. The OE timing belt replacement interval is 60k km if not mistaken.

Last but not least, u need this to start the engine. The immobiliser is the same model used by some Toyota.

The car is 90% the same with 1.6 model but the engine makes it 100% complete. And for those whom kept saying this or that car is problematic either cannot afford that car or dunno how to maintain the car....lets face it, does Merc owners or Ferrari owners complaint on their maintenance cost? If one wants something better then one needs to pay better money for it.

*edited...i got confused and mixed up vvt with hydraulic teppet.
Isn't leather seats exclusive to Waja 1.8X? Those normal 1.6 don't have it even when it is the premium version that came with 16 inch wheels. Even your interior trim with wood pattern is different from normal 1.6 Waja.

Waja is quite a good comfortable cruiser for long distance driving. I've driven Waja before. Though it felt heavy compared to my cars, it is much more stable and comfortable, absorbing bumps from roads gracefully.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Isn't leather seats exclusive to Waja 1.8X? Those normal 1.6 don't have it even when it is the premium version that came with 16 inch wheels. Even your interior trim with wood pattern is different from normal 1.6 Waja.

Waja is quite a good comfortable cruiser for long distance driving. I've driven Waja before. Though it felt heavy compared to my cars, it is much more stable and comfortable, absorbing bumps from roads gracefully.
Not sure about 1.6x as i have never sat inside one.i know that the 1.6x comes in unique colour, the dark grey.U could be right abt both the leather and wood design as i sat in my friend 1.6 mitsu which i suspect is X model as it comes with 2 airbag and 16 inch wheel,it does not have leather and the trim is dark brown with no wood design.
The CPS version comes with brown leather and different design.I prefer that design compared to mine.

On the rims, the Waja 1.8 uses that design first. Then only the same rim with different center cap is used by the Perdana v6.

The waja is a good cruiser yes...as i mentioned somewhere the ride is similar to a BMW 320d 2014 model. I was surprised myself after experiencing the BMW as it quickly remind me of my waja...minus the build quality of course.

The 1.6 mitsu i drove felt a bit softer.could be coz its slightly lighter.BTW out of the factory,proton claim they are using the same spring but 1.8 absorber is slightly firmer.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Not sure about 1.6x as i have never sat inside one.i know that the 1.6x comes in unique colour, the dark grey.U could be right abt both the leather and wood design as i sat in my friend 1.6 mitsu which i suspect is X model as it comes with 2 airbag and 16 inch wheel,it does not have leather and the trim is dark brown with no wood design.
The CPS version comes with brown leather and different design.I prefer that design compared to mine.

On the rims, the Waja 1.8 uses that design first. Then only the same rim with different center cap is used by the Perdana v6.

The waja is a good cruiser yes...as i mentioned somewhere the ride is similar to a BMW 320d 2014 model. I was surprised myself after experiencing the BMW as it quickly remind me of my waja...minus the build quality of course.

The 1.6 mitsu i drove felt a bit softer.could be coz its slightly lighter.BTW out of the factory,proton claim they are using the same spring but 1.8 absorber is slightly firmer.
Oh, so they call that as 1.6X? My friend calls it premium version. That is exactly the one that my friend is driving. 2004 model. Dark grey that looks a bit brownish, comes with 2 airbag, 16 inch wheels, trim is dark brown too like you said.

Rims? You mean your current rim is later adopted by Perdana V6?

2014 model 320d would be F30 generation already. I've sat long distance before on my friend's Waja and the current Camry Hybrid. All I can say is, despite the price and age difference, the gap in terms of ride quality isn't that far. Maybe I'm not sensitive or something but I don't feel like the Camry is that much more comfortable than a Waja.

One thing that I'm not too fond of in Waja's handling would be its reluctance to change direction. Perhaps I'm used to driving lighter cars like Wira and Saga, the Waja doesn't seem to react that quickly to sudden tilting movements on the steering to change direction.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car engine is leaking......been like this for a month
Do I need to overhaul it how much they usually charge for Honda EG non vtech engine.......and how long does it takes to repair it.....
I think the oil leak is come from my gasket at the radiator hose.....I dont know very well about car sorry if I dont give enough information
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience