Discuss About Your Car...

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Nah, I'd say 50/50 ish.
Btw, have you guys heard of the tint company called Hamel? Looked up online and all I saw were good reviews. Price isn't too bad either, do you personally recommend any brand?
Currently have the VKool all round, not sure which one but it's kinda transparent and has good heat rejection.
VKool is among the best. Older ones were rusting at the edges (more than 15 years back). If you want to spend top dollar, look no further than V-Kool, Llumar or Huper Optik. All 3 are owned by Solutia, one of the largest manufacturers in the world.

For you, leave the V-Kool on, and get a cheaper tint to tint on top of it to achieve the darkness you want. Remember if you do that, the V-Kool warranty is gone. But since you were thinking about removing it, better just stick on top.

Manual is so much nicer to drive compared to automatic.
Depends...I drive an automatic for over 10 years, and recently I've been rowing a manual CR-Z (yes mati engine few times in the beginning cause not used to the clutch control).. it depends on the purpose of your journey.

Leisurely drive, no traffic jam, I'd pick the manual any day. In traffic, no thanks, I am happy with my automatic.

Also if I have a passenger that I wish to molest, automatic all the way man.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Depends...I drive an automatic for over 10 years, and recently I've been rowing a manual CR-Z (yes mati engine few times in the beginning cause not used to the clutch control).. it depends on the purpose of your journey.

Leisurely drive, no traffic jam, I'd pick the manual any day. In traffic, no thanks, I am happy with my automatic.

Also if I have a passenger that I wish to molest, automatic all the way man.
Like you said bro, depends on preference. It's practicality vs. FUN. To me, manual is always nicer to drive from car enthusiast standpoint. Of cos when it comes to day to day life practicality, auto is the way to go.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Like you said bro, depends on preference. It's practicality vs. FUN. To me, manual is always nicer to drive from car enthusiast standpoint. Of cos when it comes to day to day life practicality, auto is the way to go.
agreed with you.

that's why i feel DSG was the future..but VW went and screw themselves up with the useless dry DSGs. and now the reputation has went down the drain.

As much as I rave about the 8 speed ZF gearbox in BMWs, that *bam bam bam* feeling of DSG is amazing. ALMOST feels like manual, just way faster than manual in shifting.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
VKool is among the best. Older ones were rusting at the edges (more than 15 years back). If you want to spend top dollar, look no further than V-Kool, Llumar or Huper Optik. All 3 are owned by Solutia, one of the largest manufacturers in the world.

For you, leave the V-Kool on, and get a cheaper tint to tint on top of it to achieve the darkness you want. Remember if you do that, the V-Kool warranty is gone. But since you were thinking about removing it, better just stick on top.
Thanks for your advice, I'm worried that it'll ruin my current tint. Either get those Groovy sunshade or take the risk on double layering the tint...

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
:biggrin:

I remember this. You got a pretty gf.. so stick to auto. HAHAHA!
naahhh.. i dont need auto even during with pretty gf.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Manual is so much nicer to drive compared to automatic.
Yup agree, I'm getting bored with my automatic too!

Tbh traffic in KL isn't so bad so manual is still alright, I was at Jakarta the other day and rented a manual car cuz it's been awhile since I drive one so why not have some fun while at it. I regretted so much cuz it's barely any fun but just km after km of horrible traffic.
Hahaha welcome to Jakarta, the home of REAL traffic jams, not just kiddy jams like in KL! That's why I miss manual car driving now in KL.

naahhh.. i dont need auto even during with pretty gf.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Pro driver la!

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Excuse me guys! As the moderator of this forum, it's my responsibility to remind you that we have to stick to the original topic discussion. We drive with full concentration as diligent driver, not multitasking half driving and half touch your pretty wife's or gf's lap! Hahahaha....

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
agreed with you.

that's why i feel DSG was the future..but VW went and screw themselves up with the useless dry DSGs. and now the reputation has went down the drain.

As much as I rave about the 8 speed ZF gearbox in BMWs, that *bam bam bam* feeling of DSG is amazing. ALMOST feels like manual, just way faster than manual in shifting.
I have never driven a VW before, not to mention TSI or GTI. I have thought of getting a Golf TSI before my HRV (about 30K more) but hearing all the horrible stories, I do not want to join the club. Better to get something boring but safe especially it's my wife's ride. You don't need too much power anyway as it's home > school > home > tuition class and weekends to malls. It's stuck in traffic most of the time.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have never driven a VW before, not to mention TSI or GTI. I have thought of getting a Golf TSI before my HRV (about 30K more) but hearing all the horrible stories, I do not want to join the club. Better to get something boring but safe especially it's my wife's ride. You don't need too much power anyway as it's home > school > home > tuition class and weekends to malls. It's stuck in traffic most of the time.
i've driven a few VWs and quite frankly I'm pretty impressed with them. I don't know about the newer modern VWs and their GBs but the older ones had plenty of lemons.

Polo GTI - bloody marvelous car! The only thing I wasn't used to was the way the GB worked. In "D" the car would still roll backwards like a manual with clutch in. It's unnerving to drive on an uphill jam but nothing a little handbrake action couldn't help. Didn't drive it long enough to know how the FC is.

Golf GTI - Another bloody fantastic car. It's an awesome highway cruiser but probably too much for short drives to the market, school runs and back. Not a light car though and you feel it in the drive. But what a car.

Jetta remapped and modded - owned by the infamous KCNG of this forum, the car is another bloody marvelous car to drive. Even with 200kmh hooning, boosting everywhere and driving in full manual mode all of the time in the 2 weeks I had it, my FC was 16km/L. Mostly city driving with some trips to the airport. Would have seriously considered buying it if not for my paltry budget. God I love direct fuel injection with turbo.

Tiguan 1.4 I think it is. Not bad also and quite spacious. Only thing I don't really like is the initial acceleration there's a bit of a dead spot. In-laws car and he pretty much likes it. Not too bad either.

All of these cars that belonged to other people never had problems with their GBs or engines. So despite all the negativity surrounding VWs, there are some good cars out there.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Friends pre reg 2016 Passat. Dead mechatronic and in for two weeks. The gearbox is a lemon.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
i've driven a few VWs and quite frankly I'm pretty impressed with them. I don't know about the newer modern VWs and their GBs but the older ones had plenty of lemons.

Polo GTI - bloody marvelous car! The only thing I wasn't used to was the way the GB worked. In "D" the car would still roll backwards like a manual with clutch in. It's unnerving to drive on an uphill jam but nothing a little handbrake action couldn't help. Didn't drive it long enough to know how the FC is.

Golf GTI - Another bloody fantastic car. It's an awesome highway cruiser but probably too much for short drives to the market, school runs and back. Not a light car though and you feel it in the drive. But what a car.

Jetta remapped and modded - owned by the infamous KCNG of this forum, the car is another bloody marvelous car to drive. Even with 200kmh hooning, boosting everywhere and driving in full manual mode all of the time in the 2 weeks I had it, my FC was 16km/L. Mostly city driving with some trips to the airport. Would have seriously considered buying it if not for my paltry budget. God I love direct fuel injection with turbo.

Tiguan 1.4 I think it is. Not bad also and quite spacious. Only thing I don't really like is the initial acceleration there's a bit of a dead spot. In-laws car and he pretty much likes it. Not too bad either.

All of these cars that belonged to other people never had problems with their GBs or engines. So despite all the negativity surrounding VWs, there are some good cars out there.
Thanks for sharing. In terms of performances, I have heard a lot of good reviews from VW cars. My colleague's bro has Mk 6 Golf TSI, the gearbox died on the 3rd month and even after trips and trips to SC for repair, it's still having issues till today which is 3 years now.

Worst case, the car died 50m away from his home, he managed to start it and drive it back home. However, VW claimed that when the car died, he should not drive it anymore. The 50m drive has caused him to void the warranty claim. Forcing him to spend close to 20K for repair cost. Bad bad experience.

And all these scares me off.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for sharing. In terms of performances, I have heard a lot of good reviews from VW cars. My colleague's bro has Mk 6 Golf TSI, the gearbox died on the 3rd month and even after trips and trips to SC for repair, it's still having issues till today which is 3 years now.

Worst case, the car died 50m away from his home, he managed to start it and drive it back home. However, VW claimed that when the car died, he should not drive it anymore. The 50m drive has caused him to void the warranty claim. Forcing him to spend close to 20K for repair cost. Bad bad experience.

And all these scares me off.
Well, KCNGs jetta has been to sepang and has never had issues. And it's for sale. Ahem. :biggrin:
You really need luck to own VW (at least here in Malaysia) because not everyone will get it BUT most do. My neighbor has a 'B7 Passat with the DSG and guess what, it's been reliable to him. He's done 100k KM and all he did was regular wear and tear with an exception of minor sensor fault. Nothing related to GB, amazingly. He's gonna sell it soon tho, he said he still has worries bout long term usage.

Then I heard from other people where all their experience on that car is nothing but regular trips to service center (as you'd guess it, mechatronics problems.)

Overall it's a great car and especially the DSG, it's one hell of a game changer. But seriously tho, not suitable for our climate. They should've done some intensive testing first because it's pretty ridiculous that all these GB problems come pretty early.

Another example is the Ford Focus 2013-2015, they use DCT and pretty much a nightmare too.

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi, :itsme:

can anyone advise me where to send my perodua viva for emanage tuning?
btw its an NA car, auto, just mod on exhaust.everything else is stock.

thanks
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience