Digicam Issue

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Guy's,

currently i'm having Nikon Coolpix 775 digicam. So far i'm happy with it except 1 thing, the night shot flash. Here is a sample of pic that i taken at nite.

As u can see, the pics is very dark. it was taken with flash but still very dark. i was thinking to sell off this camera and get another 1. Which should i go to? i dun wish the samething happen again

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
hey mate. actually u might wanna tweak the settings on yr camera a little to give u a better exposed pic. try to set to manual mode (if any) & opt for a slower shutter speed. set it to abt 1s or more depends on the lights at yr surrounding.with that, u might need to get yrself a tripod to avoid a blur outcome. here's a pic tat i took with slow shutter..25s

if u're buying a new camera to rectify the problem, u might need to get yrself one with a hot-shoe (external) flash. usually, those cam with hot-shoe are meant for prosumers or professionals, hence, more than $$2.5k (eg, Canon powershot G5, Sony cybershot F717 & F828...)

Wayward

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
not all digital cameras allow ext-plugged flash , unless it's a SLR model or such.

sterling :

hey man, you're quite a photographer , thats a nicely exposed shot.

but what camera are you using which allows 25second shutter time? surely not a budget digital camera?

Wayward

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
hmm...it's a prosumer camera awrite.. a second hand Sony Cybershot F-717.

i'm a newbie in photography lar. still got a lot to learn. i'd say tat the camera is powerful, so i can get well exposed shots. but the problem is i dunno how to frame a picture nicely. the angle etc. still have a lot of learn.. <_<

hmm..since got sifu say my shot is nice...i'll post another one here

Wayward

Known Member
Nov 16, 2003
Penang, Malaysia
Visit site
i did a six month photography course in UK ....

and one thing i learnt was ..... theory is no match for practice :)

take as many pictures AS you can, when you can.

at first , maybe only 1 out of a 100 pics will come out good.

but ....... as time goes on, the ratio improves.

develope the better pictures as reminders of future improvements ...... use border's on prints, as they're proffesional and prevents scarring on pictures,

try not to develope anything smaller than 5 inches by 7 inches, as you do not notice finer details required for a good picture.

Wayward

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Brother~!
Give up ICE and go into photography ah! hehehe! :P :P

As per advise by sterling^moss, try set your camera to manual!
I m currently set my camera to manual, set it to ASA400 during nite time.
U can try it without shutter speed setting first, just set the ASA, u can come out some decent pic ..

I am still very very fresh in photo taking, snap this two pic during my few attemps .. Not a very good job but I like them (For time being!)

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
Originally posted by devil@Feb 29 2004, 11:17 PM
Brother~!
Give up ICE and go into photography ah! hehehe! :P :P

As per advise by sterling^moss, try set your camera to manual!
I m currently set my camera to manual, set it to ASA400 during nite time.
U can try it without shutter speed setting first, just set the ASA, u can come out some decent pic ..

I am still very very fresh in photo taking, snap this two pic during my few attemps .. Not a very good job but I like them (For time being!)
yea mate. topping the ISO/ASA sensitivity up a notch really solves the problem.

but what i did was to use min aperature (F8) + long shutter(>10s), so tat the light source (street light in my 1st pic) appear to be like star

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
miss out this pic.. hehe!

I try that without tripod, turn out lousy,
I have yet to discover this feature .. still hv plenty of features i wish to test out over here ..
One tiny problem about Canon is once i turn on the shutter control, if i take photo casually in manual mode, a bit leceh! hehe!

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
nice shot mate! but looks a the pic looks a bit noisy. mebbe it's bcoz of the compression. somehow, using the lowest ISO value possible can rectify the problem significantly.

wat i tried to say abt the starry light source is this.. see the effect?

& hell yeah! u really need a tripod to take night scenes..imagine holding yr camera motionless for >10 seconds.. :blink:

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
wahlau... i catch no ball at all for all this. anyway i'll try to check out the manul guide see is there any what tripod setting or how can i change to manual setting. i do have a few choice on my cam. etc, evening shoot, under sun shoot, outdoor shoot and so on. but i see no diff of the result

sterling^moss

Known Member
Dec 18, 2003
Malacca
Visit site
Originally posted by normality78@Mar 1 2004, 12:22 AM
wahlau... i catch no ball at all for all this. anyway i'll try to check out the manul guide see is there any what tripod setting or how can i change to manual setting. i do have a few choice on my cam. etc, evening shoot, under sun shoot, outdoor shoot and so on. but i see no diff of the result
hey mate. there' no such thing as tripod setting la. ermm..wat i recommend is to use "nightshot" mode in yr camera & take pics. it's normal to have dark pics taken @ outdoor. coz the power of flash is not enuf.

if u wanna increase the power of yr flash. u need to buy external one. but then, only prosumer cameras allow u to attach external flash. hope u can get it ;)

as for the outdoor, sun shoot etc. those are whitebalance tweaks, i assume. coz the colours turn out to be different under different situations. indoor, outdoor, when it's cloudy etc.

devil

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
dude,

U need to set the environment setting, meaning, at manual, during low light situation, put it cloudy or evening shoot ..
then u can also set the ASA.. 50.100,200,400. Thats wat appear in my canon. Maybe they might hv different calling at Fuji.

Set the ASA at 400 at nite ^ evening shoot, snap the pic WITHOUT flash, make sure u hv a non shaky hand ( try to reduce some DIY prior the testing! :D)

U be amaze of the output... Nost of the pic i took is without flash, i found it be more natural but just my personal preference.

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
devil,
what the hell is ASA? muahahahah. No la. never quit ICE but i'm fixing up my car 1st. need to do some touch up 1st. anyway i'm revamping my ICE. from head to toe. might be getting Pioneer P9 or Clarion HX-D. Amp getting Brax X2000 and a set Focal compo 2K series

Sterling,
i get what u mean bro.

ZephyRed

Known Member
Nov 21, 2003
Sunway
Visit site
jsut play with the exposure setting.... longer exposure setting will give u a brighter picture with a brighter background.

good luck.

ZephyRed

Known Member
Nov 21, 2003
Sunway
Visit site
actually there is another type of flash.. i can't remember whatz the name of it, but it has it in my canon ixus... with that type of flash, including a good exposure settings, the image will turn out well balance with a bright back ground as well.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

This is a Nissan NV200 Panel Van. Originally, Nissan only offers them in White. Instead of leaving it stock, we resprayed it black. Why? because black is the hardest colour to deal with, it has extremely visible swirl, hologram or scratches when damaged. On top of that, a repainted paint job does not always show up shiny...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience