Difference between polishing and waxing

shong22

Apr 16, 2012
Penang
Can anyone tell me whats the difference between polishing and waxing ??? and what brand of product the best ???

junbecks

Jul 9, 2007
the quickest way to explain is to break it down into what waxing is for and what polishing is for.

Loosely decribed:
waxing - is like putting on sunblock before you go out. It will protect your skin from harmful UV rays and getting tan. So waxing protects your car paint from sunblock as well as rain, bird poop, tree sap.
But wax cannot last long, it quickly degrades so you have to apply frequently. (unless you dont drive the car at all).

Polishing - can be split into 3 categories

1. non-cleaning - these polishes leave a nice glossy look on your car, its like moisturizing your skin. Skin will be dry if you dont moisturize. Likewise, polishing will give its real shine.

2. cleaning - not only leaves a glossy look, but this type can remove dirt from the paint, really really small particles of dirt that you cannot see, but can feel and will affect the surface of the paint.
(you see those white myvis that start to look yellowish? this step can make the myvi white again)

3. compounding - like in the movie Inception "We have to go deeper."
Stronger and more powerful than cleaning.
This means that this type of polish is good for removing a very thin layer of paint, to make the paint smooth and removes scratches that are caused by roadside car washing.
You look at those black cars under the sun? Do you see a lot of circles on the car? Those are from incorrectly washing the car. This step can remove those circles. Best done by a person with lots of experience.

hope this helps you

Last edited:

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Waxing - putting something ON the paint/clear coat.
Polishing - removing something FROM the paint (or removing a thin layer of the damaged paint/clear coat itself)

junbecks

Jul 9, 2007

see the top layer with the jagged lines?
You cut away that layer to get a nice fresh smooth surface with 99% no scratches.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Waxing is a form of semi-permanent hair removal which removes the hair from the root. New hair will not grow back in the previously waxed area for two to eight weeks ...

hahahaha, faster-faster cabut......:tongue:

shong22

Apr 16, 2012
Penang
if i send my car for cutting process will my car paint become thinner ? what about the price ?

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
Yes it would become thinner, but a good detailer would do their best to take care and not to cut too much, abuse and put your paintwork in jeopardy. Also, by the word 'thinner', in the right hands, it's not as dangerous as you think. I would say, roughly, you can compound (or cut) the paint 2 or 3 times and still have a healthy coat of clear coat on the paint. I had sanded my own waja once, compounded twice and polish a couple of more times and, so far, the paint is still doing fine.

Just make sure the place you're sending knows what they're doing. About the price....not too sure. Need to as the pro leh....hehehe.....

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Waxing is a form of semi-permanent hair removal which removes the hair from the root. New hair will not grow back in the previously waxed area for two to eight weeks ...

hahahaha, faster-faster cabut......:tongue:
Kitty Ken,

Im confused because i dont understand what type of hair takes 8 weeks to grow....?

Mine takes 3-4 days to grow....

Be it upper hair or lower hair...

Eight weeks!?

Agak agak la Kitty Ken...

hahaha.....

BTW PLS DONT BLAME ME FOR TAKING THE HAIR SUBJECT TO YOUR CAR DETAILING THREAD, BLAME IT ON..... KITTY KEN ! HE STARTED IT !

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Bro Lesley Aprotto,

hehehe, no need to be confused. If you are keen to know more, here is the full article from Wilkipedia...on waxing.....
Waxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kitty Ken,

Im confused because i dont understand what type of hair takes 8 weeks to grow....?

Mine takes 3-4 days to grow....

Be it upper hair or lower hair...

Eight weeks!?

Agak agak la Kitty Ken...

hahaha.....

BTW PLS DONT BLAME ME FOR TAKING THE HAIR SUBJECT TO YOUR CAR DETAILING THREAD, BLAME IT ON..... KITTY KEN ! HE STARTED IT !

Exquisite Auto

Aug 23, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Junbecks has explained it rather well,we operate a paint shop and provide a variety of polishing services.Simply put,there are 3 fifferent types of polishing.

1-Polishing that's very fine and only affects the upper layer of lacquer.It provides a lovely shine but if the paint is distorted or has deep swirls it has little or no effect at all.This technique is commonly used by car wash joints.

2-Polishing that requires the use of proper polishing compound,it's the same compound thats used after cars are sprayed to remove any impurities during the process of spraying the 2nd coat of lacquer.This way any swirls/surface scratches/paint coming off due to rubbing against other cars(dependent on how severe the damage is) can be removed.It usually causes some distortion to the paint and requires machine polishing combined with a compound.

3-Polishing that requires wet sanding.This technique is used on cars that have surface stone chips/deep swirls and so forth.We usually wet sand using very fine sandpaper and follow through with a proper compound polish so as to restore the damaged section.

These for me would be the three types of polishing so when people tell me they've done a '2layer' polish at a car wash,i'm honestly clueless on what it means.Even if the car wash is applying 2 layers of polish,no compound is involved implying that one layer of gloss finish polish has been applied to another when even the first layer has not properly eaten into the paint(or lacquer for that matter) for it simply hasn't been designed to.

Last edited:

GreatHunteR

Dec 2, 2003
Bro, how much does it cost for each of the polishing service, mind to list down, and where is ur location?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

can anyone explain? y?

as i noe its due to :
1) oil pump (faulty)
2) insufficienet engine oil

wat other causes??? anyone noes?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience