Dented Box

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor

Guys, today when my car was jacked up, I noticed that there's a box that is dented, probably it got hit by something like when going over a bump or something. Can anyone identify what box is that and will it do harm if it's dented?

reintel

500 RPM
Jul 27, 2004
Definitely oil sump. lucky it didnt spill oil all over the road or you might end up for major overhaul.

me2kimi

500 RPM
Jun 25, 2007
Puchong
your car is myvi right? If myvi, it is gearbox oil sump.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
So guys, currently will it do any harm if everything is okay at the moment (since I think this dent shouldn't be new, think I've been driving around with this for quite some time already)? This thing if needs to be changed it's just changing the box is it? From what I researched, if it isn't leaking then there's no need for a change yet?

Yes it's a MyVi.

Last edited:

ettm_14

500 RPM
Jul 30, 2006
if its not leaking, the you don't need to change it.

but correct me if I am wrong, since the oil sump pan/gearbox oil pan is dented, wouldn't the oil level dip stick reading will no longer be accurate?

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
if its not leaking, the you don't need to change it.

but correct me if I am wrong, since the oil sump pan/gearbox oil pan is dented, wouldn't the oil level dip stick reading will no longer be accurate?
Apart from showing inaccurate readings, there shouldn't be any other major problems right? If so then I'll just continue driving until my next visit to a mechanic and get their opinion on this as well.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
That dent isn't really that significant to cause catastrophic damage and the folks are right, that's the gb oil sump. Readings won't be that far off and plus minus a few millilitres isn't going to kill your GB.

But it's probably a good idea to get it changed out. The oil sumps are pretty strong by themselves but they aren't immune to rust. Rust is a bad thing and I would know.. my wira oil sump got banged up pretty bad and eventually the rust led to a leak. Nasty nasty thing I tell you.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
best is to change it since its not expensive compared to major engine overhaul if yr engine oil flow out.....just in case u bang onto the same spot again and without u noticing....gone...

my relative's gen2 faced the same thing too...hair line crack on the oil pan, ended up engine stalled and overhaul - changing cyclinder head etc cost him rm3800.

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
So what needs to be changed and anyone knows what is the rough cost for it? Don't want to kena chop from workshops.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
So what needs to be changed and anyone knows what is the rough cost for it? Don't want to kena chop from workshops.
What car? My Wira one costs RM180 including sealant and it was a recon one. Suspect yours is a Honda? If yes probably gonna cost a bit more

OKLY

Known Member
Nov 26, 2011
Selangor
What car? My Wira one costs RM180 including sealant and it was a recon one. Suspect yours is a Honda? If yes probably gonna cost a bit more
Not a Honda, just a Perodua. So recon range should be around RM200 or so eh?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Yeah, Just noticed it's a Myvi Oil sump. (Can't see pics in the office)

The Myvi one is in the 200 range la. plus more than minus.