Dash Cams

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
Not sure if this is the right thread or if this question have been posted before, but after watching onboard dash cam videos on youtube (especially the videos from russia haha),

I'm wondering if anyone here have used those dash cam in their vehicles. I'm particularly interested with those who use it for daily driving. Planning to buy one in the near future. Those who are currently using it, can you share some info like:

1 - Brand
2 - Price
3 - Quality of video / image
4 - Images or videos taken at night
5 - Features
6 - Video editing software specifically for the dash cam (if provided)
7 - Where did you purchase it
8 - Experiences that you have captured / saved you when you had it.

Thanks for sharing...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
I'm using it...but is windscreen mounted type.

browse thru ebay or lelong can find plenty for sale. don't bother about IR as 6 IR leds do shit for nite vision illumination. get those that are true HD with huge resolutions...but beware that huge resolution recordings eat up space. I'm using a 16gb card and it can record up till 3 hours continuously before needing to overwrite the first file.

nite recording not so good...cos of the glare n dark conditions, mine isn't able to record the number plates . i bought mine at rm115 with shipping and i see the same model being sold for between rm90-200 nowadays.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
me got the rm90 cheap2 stuff....quality not that great but atleast can record number plate with enough resolution/lighting from headlamp at night (some glaring happens)

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
perhaps a link to the products u guys have? mudah.my link or something?

coz ive been considering getting one... unsure how much i wanna spend on it....might even just use phone to record but tak syiok la like that hahahahah

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
madman....mine is this type..close to 2 years old hanging on my windscreen never rosak b4...

HC Car DVR LCD Monitor 6 IR Car Camera Video Audio Recorder Night Visi (Sarawak, end time 5/9/2013 2:15:00 PM MYT)

now damn cheap.

u can set it so it auto turns on when u power up yr engine n auto off when u turn off the engine with loop recording so u really dont need to do antything. just drive as usual n i will auto record. it has a built in (nokia) battery so lets say u wanna park a while but still keep it recording, just turn it on and it will auto record till it's battery runs dead n it auto shuts off. battery lasts around 20minutes...

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
Go for GoPro..Hero III White is the latest but cheapest..
can view the video quality from Youtube.

only RM879 from Fotokem..

True HD action camera...good for racing...

Depends on your purpose..if for long recording like CCTV, not suitable (waste)..

BuroQ

Known Member
Sep 13, 2004
Border Town
perhaps a link to the products u guys have? mudah.my link or something?

coz ive been considering getting one... unsure how much i wanna spend on it....might even just use phone to record but tak syiok la like that hahahahah
Lol... 3gp format...anyone? :evil: :rofl:

Nice, do you have any screenshots of the video taken? Does it include date and time stamps as well? Or maybe your speed? lol...

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
saves into avi format...date and time stamps can be configured.

if want speed...i normally put my droid at the middle of the dash so it projects the speed onto the windscreen...DIY speed stamp so as long as i'm not speeding, i can argue if i'm ever pulled over for speeding.

will try to upload a sample video when i next pull out the sd card...

Nickchong

Nov 11, 2017
Here is the review of Transcend DrivePro 230 dash cam

Dashboard camera or dashcam has been around for ages but it wasn’t made popular until people started sharing road rage or accident footages on social media network. It made us realize the importance of having the crucial video evidence when undesirable commotion took place. For starters, it harnesses the combined might of the Sony Exmor sensor and Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) technologies. This grants the DrivePro 230 the ability to capture sharp, high resolution images and 1080p full HD videos at 30fps with extremely fine tonal gradation, even in adverse low light conditions and at night. What’s more, its intuitive user interface is a breeze to master, not forgetting its novel ability to snap still photos while recording videos simultaneously.

In the box:
Transcend DrivePro 230 dashcam, Transcend 16GB High-Endurance microSD card, Lighter socket charger, Suction mount (also available with adhesive mount, depends on your purchase selection)

A good memory card is key to storing critical evidence. Transcend has generously included a 16GB microSD card with the dashcam. The MLC-based NAND flash memory is designed for consistent long-life durability and endurance. You do not need to spend extra money and effort in seeking a compatible and reliable flash card to make your dashcam work. 16GB will be enough for recording 2 hours of 1080p Full HD footage. When the memory is full, the dashcam will overwrite the oldest video.

At the front, apart from the 130-degree ultra-wide angle lens, there isn’t much going on here except for the printed branding. Basics aside, there’s Wi-Fi connectivity and a GPS receiver. The former provides smartphone connectivity and social media livestreaming using a dedicated app that’s available on both Apple App Store and Google Play. The latter, on the other hand, further supplements the basic video and stills data logs by adding location, speed and time logs.

The 2.4-inch TFT LCD may not has the best viewing angle and colour reproduction, but it works just fine for a car dashboard camera. The 4 buttons under the display work for the navigation across the settings and configuration. The overall build quality is solid with high-quality finishing.

Unlike the average dashcam, the DrivePro 230 features a built-in, high capacity Li-polymer battery, meaning users don’t have to have it plugged in all the time. Crucially, this endows the DrivePro 230 with a Parking Monitoring Mode that utilises both a motion detection system and time-lapse video recording functions, thus enhancing vehicle security when parked. Rounding off its impressive basics is the presence of a decent microphone and speaker, the latter enhancing on-device playback for users.

I am very happy with the overall video quality. Even when the lighting condition changes, such as when moving into a tunnel vice versa, the camera is quick to adjust the exposure value. The recorded footage also shows the date time, GPS location as well as vehicle speed.

Night time video quality is exceptionally well with lots of details and reasonable ISO noise.

I’ve been using the Transcend DrivePro 230 dashboard camera for almost a month now and I am very satisfied with the video quality and the added security features that come with the dashcam. Transcend aims to break the conventional dashboard camera’s design where the dashcam now has more purpose than just recording videos. The added innovative security features would definitely help keep drivers and pedestrians safer on the road. All said, the Transcend DrivePro 230’s feature-rich package makes it an all-in-one device solution users can truly appreciate.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Why don’t you post some video recordings on YouTube? Static screenshot doesn’t reflect how the cam handles transitions especially from bright areas to dark areas and vice versa at night.

After all the true measure of a video camera is the video quality.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Why don’t you post some video recordings on YouTube? Static screenshot doesn’t reflect how the cam handles transitions especially from bright areas to dark areas and vice versa at night.

After all the true measure of a video camera is the video quality.
agreed, would love to see some youtube videos linked here too

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Here is the review of Transcend DrivePro 230 dash cam
I'm using this and a china-made one. The Transcend one has a wireless feature which allows me to grab vids from its memory without taking out the card. Downside is this transfer is slow as hell. I'll grab a vid to show later tonight.

The China-made one is pretty good too. Cheaper by a lot compared to the Transcend and has a back view camera too. Only downside is sometimes the cables are faulty. I've had 2 changes in the dozen units I've bought and sold to friends. The video recorded here got some joker who fisted my fathers car in a lot of trouble. The recording was at night, caught the morons face, car plate and so many other details. The video somehow got viralled via FB and I got the morons house address, wifes full name, both their ICs, cars, work places, pretty much everything.

So it worked well imho. I'll never buy branded ever again.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I'm using this and a china-made one. The Transcend one has a wireless feature which allows me to grab vids from its memory without taking out the card. Downside is this transfer is slow as hell. I'll grab a vid to show later tonight.

The China-made one is pretty good too. Cheaper by a lot compared to the Transcend and has a back view camera too. Only downside is sometimes the cables are faulty. I've had 2 changes in the dozen units I've bought and sold to friends. The video recorded here got some joker who fisted my fathers car in a lot of trouble. The recording was at night, caught the morons face, car plate and so many other details. The video somehow got viralled via FB and I got the morons house address, wifes full name, both their ICs, cars, work places, pretty much everything.

does the china brand comes with GPS too?

anyway, transcend dashcam need to delete if memory full ? bcoz mine need to clear memory once full, i thought it auto replace non-lock video :banghead:

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur

Do share the product, I am looking into dash cams right now.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
does the china brand comes with GPS too?

anyway, transcend dashcam need to delete if memory full ? bcoz mine need to clear memory once full, i thought it auto replace non-lock video :banghead:
No GPS. And both transcend and china-made dashcams have the option to recycle the memory card. Did you check your settings? that's not normal to manually format everytime full.

Do share the product, I am looking into dash cams right now.
I'll just need to grab a pic of it tomorrow morning.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

this morning my fren found that his car is gone when he going to work.....he suspect car get stolen by midnight.....his car is wira special edition black colour..wif engine 1.8 twin cam..16 sport rim..others all standard...location car stolen is sg.buloh new village...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience