dark tinting

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Please bear in mind that installing dark tints can also affect other road users. A 2004 report by Baldock and associates from the Centre of Automotive Safety Research, Australia argued against the use of such tints because dark tints placed even on the side windows can make it harder for a driver to see other cars, cyclists, and pedestrians at night, particularly when the driver is turning, dealing with the glare of headlights, or stopping at intersections.

Dark tints also prevent other road users to see into a car to assess the intentions of the driver or to see that if the driver has seen them.

View of a pedestrian at night. No window tint is installed. Compare this view with that below (photo from Baldock et al., 2004).

View of the pedestrian is greatly obscured when 35% VLT (allowing only 35% visible light through) window tint is installed. Turning the car right would risk hitting this pedestrian (photo from Baldock et al., 2004).

The side windows of a neigbouring car are sometimes needed to enable us to see through them to notice other road users, or in this case, a cyclist. No window tints are installed here. Compare this with below when dark window tints are installed (photo from Baldock et al., 2004).

The danger of tints with high VL rejection. The side windows of a neigbouring car are installed with 35% VLT (i.e., enabling only 35% visible light through). In this case, the incoming cyclist is greatly obscured by the dark tints. Since the light is passing through two side windows, the light transmission level is actually 35% x 35% or only 12.25% (photo from Baldock et al., 2004).

Source:
Baldock, M.J.R., McLean, A.J. and Kloeden, C.N. 2004. Front side window tinting visual light transmittance requirements. CASR Report Series No. CASR002. Centre for Automotive Safety Research, The University of Adelaide, Australia.
That is why JPJ have ruling of 70% and 50% VLT.....:driver:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Especially some idiotic Myvi/Alza. Tint the bloody rear tint so damn dark. Can't even see ahead few cars...
these people really wont learn the lesson until someone really kiss their ass.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

dyii95

Sep 11, 2012
Miri
I met a whole lot of motorcyclists who think they're 'cool' riding without lights.. At night I cant even see them..

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Especially some idiotic Myvi/Alza. Tint the bloody rear tint so damn dark. Can't even see ahead few cars...
I bet the idiotic myvi (with dark tint) cant see anything his rear mirror when he is reversing his car at night.

I hope the driver langgar tong sampah or a fire hydrant...:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
The study I quoted was in response to a proposal then in Australia to allow tints for car side windows to have no less than 35% VLT. I think that proposal was eventually not approved.
Sure will not get approved as have more negative assessment. Here will be the same....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
You do realize you're driving wrong if you run the risk of ass kissing a dark tinted MPV? Although I agree that we need to see a few cars ahead in order to drive smoothly and all, you're technically supposed to keep a cars distance away from the front car anyway.

Having said that though, I too curse cars I can't see ahead of. Especially SUVs. Oh god I hate SUVs.

I met a whole lot of motorcyclists who think they're 'cool' riding without lights.. At night I cant even see them..
The sad thing about this is if you bang them inadvertently, you're still in the wrong. Especially hate those goddamn dark clothing (usually black) rempits with no lights on. Jeez, it's bad enough we can't see them, it's even worse with the way they drive.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You do realize you're driving wrong if you run the risk of ass kissing a dark tinted MPV? Although I agree that we need to see a few cars ahead in order to drive smoothly and all, you're technically supposed to keep a cars distance away from the front car anyway.

Having said that though, I too curse cars I can't see ahead of. Especially SUVs. Oh god I hate SUVs.
Bro. SF tail gate one......:smokin:

dyii95

Sep 11, 2012
Miri
We wont be in the wrong if they're 3 feet away from the line on the left lane shoulder.. My friend learned this during the bike license class and informed me.. So meaning if you bang them on the right lane, they're at fault.. Unless they die then youre at fault

LiteBulb

Jan 15, 2009
no matter whose fault, the banger will at most kena saman. the banged will at most die.

so, they die while i pay. its a win situation for me driving a car due to their recklessness.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008

The sad thing about this is if you bang them inadvertently, you're still in the wrong. Especially hate those goddamn dark clothing (usually black) rempits with no lights on. Jeez, it's bad enough we can't see them, it's even worse with the way they drive.
Let's just hope I won't end up following behind your new MPV that your wife driving. Later I can't see in front I get frustrated :rofl:

Ya, distance away is one thing, but certain speeds say if emergency brake, even 2 cars away might not be able to brake in time. That's the cons of risking their own life having such black tints at the rear. Is not even for the purpose of covering what's in the boot. Unless cars like Wish or Stream type. That we understand. Myvi with black tints especially. Annoying.

Bro. SF tail gate one......:smokin:
I don't tailgate, I only get tailgated now especially in my stock mira.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It's hard to describe how the new 5 look. Is it a stunner? Not exactly. It doesn't look particularly thought provoking does it? Much less in photos to be honest. But as I approach the brand new 530i M-Sport for first time in the wild, the visibly larger, more expensive looking physique gave me something else to think about...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience