Coupe Tyre Flat Spots

ektony

Known Member
Apr 23, 2006
My ride is a Tiburon 1.8 auto (2001). To share my experience on S*me Tyre Kru*zer. Bought these tyres 6 months ago because of advertised silent ride and also to save money. Only travelled 4,000 Km on them. Since the car is under used, it has created flat spots on the tyres which makes driving uncomfortable especially at high speed and difficulty in balancing.

Took a morning dash to PD and back covering 250 km to exercise the engine and noticed that even Myvi can overtake me. Came back to PJ and replaced all tyres. Morale of the story, better use the car frequently.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
ektony, do you mean the surface of the tires that always touch the ground create flat spot?

Myvi overtook you?? Can I request for a rematch? :biggrin:
Myvi may overtook you at the parking lot pick up due to light chassis, but no on the highway i think.

ektony

Known Member
Apr 23, 2006
blacksamurai, yes the tyre area that comes into contact witrh the road surface. Maybe they were under inflated.

Didn't drive fast because of the vibration in the steering - do not want to cause wear and tear on other parts. That's why Myvi can also overtake with the driver yakking on the handphone too.

Pls understand that the Tiburon 1.8 auto has respectable pick up if you floor the gas pedal i.e. when gears are changing at about 5,500 rpm. Nothing to shout about for mid-range torque (that is the reason I am keen on ECU tuning). Have taken it to 160kmh but good all day cruising speed is around 120kmh.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Yes, the response after 5000 rpm is better. And I like that sound (I even like the sound more, cow will know what I mean, haha)

Let's make this the official tyre discussion thread for Hyundai car,

1. What's the brand and model you used?
2. Comment for the tires?

me
1. Yokohama A100 series
Quite, good handling, but tyre wear goes quite fast. The alignment is badly done on this set of tyres, rear tyre inner wear flat. Because of this set of tyre, almost lost control at faster curve driving while running with BMW 3 series.

My rear tyre wear, you can distinguish the different between inner and outer wear.

2. Bridgestone Potenza GIII
Noisier (compare with Yokohama A100). Handling so so (compare with Yoko A100)

ektony

Known Member
Apr 23, 2006
Currently running on Michelin Preceda 195/55/15. Wanted to go for Bridgestone GR80 but that particular shop only had Conti and Michelin. Michelin usually last 60,000 - 70,000 km under normal usage. I suspect it might be a little noisier than Bridgestone

My tyre pressure is 32 psi.

When I bought these tyres I was given free inflation with nitrogen but the joker did not vacuum out the residual air in the tyre. Just pumped the nitrogen in. I guess this nitrogen stuff is bull shit for normal cars unless we are driving at high speed or wanna take off like the plane. Since it is free, just accept. Come to think oof it, how do we know it is nitrogen and not just compressed industrial air .

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Would like to add a few words here. The reason all of you exprienced that the power comes after 5,000rpm is actually because of the camshalf. 1.8 has better advantage than 2.0 as the engine comes with a higher profiles cam which give better performance on higher rpm range. If you like to mod your engine, it is better start on the low end side just like I did. I beaten a bimmer 325 on pick up till 160KM/h before and didn't go further as the driver gave up. Both of us give full acceleration. With proper tuning it can go as high as 210Km/h.

Tyres do play a major role in speed as well. Hankook is not a bad choice to try out either. Unless you have big budget then Yokohama ADVAN is highly recommended.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
hehe...someone is intested here. I done some mod on the throttle body and diy air intake to gain air intake. My mech done the ecu tuning for me to clear off any error code and set it right. Also, I change my pulley into a lighter unit. Thats is why when you try accelate on my car throttle it is lighter when we met, remember? light weight 15" rim and tyre will make difference on your pickup. Of course, manual trans will have the biggest advantage. It is a lot of difference compare with auto.

Sevenfold

Jun 20, 2006
hehe...someone is intested here. I done some mod on the throttle body and diy air intake to gain air intake. My mech done the ecu tuning for me to clear off any error code and set it right. Also, I change my pulley into a lighter unit. Thats is why when you try accelate on my car throttle it is lighter when we met, remember? light weight 15" rim and tyre will make difference on your pickup. Of course, manual trans will have the biggest advantage. It is a lot of difference compare with auto.

bout ur throttle body... u rebore it ? how many mm? hmmmm i thougt coupe ecu is fixed issit?and cannot be tuned?like the gti siemen ecu....u using the obd scanner to examine the ecu?...sorry lot of silly question...
so sad that ive the auto version...huhuhu so cant play wif u all....heheh

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
ektony, looks like your car situation was just like mine (except the tyres, as mine is standard 14" RIM). Try changing the stock air filter & spark plugs. Then going 120km/h will be piece of cake. I have done 180km/h on North-South H/way (didn't dare to go more on those stock RIMS & tyres). Steering wheel was "steady and heavy" at high speed. Pumped in 225 for my tyres.

ektony

Known Member
Apr 23, 2006
dartango,

Changed my 17" rims back to 15" as per specs. Just hated the ride with 17" rims looks terror but hit a pothole or a nail, the tyre will go flat fast and maybe also damage the rims. 17" low profile tyres are also not cheap. Didn't change the air filter to a better type because Hyundai's ori airfilter does a good job in the filtration area and is not expensive. Can you imagine a K & N drop in filter at Eneos goes for RM300 !

@!eX_8475

Known Member
Mar 2, 2006
guys, i know that rims and tyres make a difference...just wondering, is it a big diff? my scoupe now using 15" jrd rims with bridgestone MY01... anyone knows ori rims for scoupe were how many inch? 13/14?? i like 15" la, but i know will sacrifice some pick up...
btw, air filter for scoupe, where to get ori one? any idea how much ah? thx

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

how would you reckon that a car which can speed up double of an average car but being thrased just like any other cars on the road

when we was asked to do some stone chips touch up, we nearly faint seeing how badly this was thrashed so called detailer - and regularly wash by them as well

severe marring and swirls

swirls...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience