Conversion GSR 1.8 Turbo (4G93T) - Wira/Satria/Putra

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.
Honestly speaking. mitsu engine are robust and reliable. Pecah no problem, easy to source and cheap too.

(2) Is the torque from 4G93T 2WD autobox too much for my chassis (C97)?
If you worry on chassis, can strengthen it by doing spot weld,etc, at common failure part, eg; engine mount. One shot while your engine is out and bay is empty for strengthen work.

(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.
apart from engine, just do top overhaul with belts and waterpump etc replace. have a spare alternator because u don't know how long the alternator has been or whether it has being swapped. if you get the engine and gbox at much lower price, full overhaul is a good idea.

(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?
-get a decent pad for your front caliper
-make sure your adjustable is servicable.

(9) Any comments on this swap? Preferably constructive ones.
take it slow and do it right first time. Stock = reliability.

Your advise would be great. If any were to indicate where I can do engine swap with reliable workmanship and price, that’d be best. I’m down for a yumcha session for this topic, so, hit me if you are keen.
if you work and stay in klang. probably can meetup.

If can afford the bill, not a problem of worth doing or not. But if budget is limited or not sky high, is good to consider alternatives provided that the end goal is same or similar.
no difference on the bill for buying used one vs built yourself.Still need pay a lum sum of cash. You are going for mod car, owner should aware what he is getting into.

Personal POV.
built = more money + reliability is there. U know your car.
used car = cheap + ticking time bomb(reliability unsure)

Reactions: sanekit

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
(1) Is 4G93T reliable for daily drive with occassional spirited driving? Engine stock and locked 2WD 4-speed autobox.
Reliable as i drive daily. Spare parts banyak.
Mine manual lock 2wd.
My wira have same chassis as yours. Can tahan lah. Just don heavy right leg from each stop. Koyak nanti.
(3) Would 4G93T autobox be suitable to mod my Wira to become a cruiser? NVH, power delivery.
I drive manual. Anyway can cruise. Wish got 6th gear. Hahaha...
(4) What are the common problems that I should expect when I do GSR swap into my Wira?
It depends. Cant really pin point u exactly what will happen. Like mine i have idling issue. Solve with new isc.
(5) I’m trying to build a cruiser out of my Wira swapped GSR with decent torque pull in highway. On wide open throttle (WOT), would it pull easily in the range from 0-160 with the autobox?
Don worry. It will go 180kmh as stated by speedo.
In 4th gear can tarik till 160.
(6) What are the cost that I need to be prepared for doing this transplant legally and safely? Assuming the halfcut cost between 11-12k.
Halfcut already 11-12k as expected.
Prepare some extra for critical need to replace parts. Wajib to replace. Timing belt, radiator, clutch set.. Etc.
(7) I’m doing a front Evo 3 twinpot brake and rear single pot brake upgrade, fully adjustable threaded AR Racing adjustable (5k/4k rate), and 16-inch Advanti lightweight rim with PS4 (205/50/16). Would these future supporting mods be enough to handle the GSR autobox swap?
I on stock gsr brake. Can handle lah. Don worry.
Upgrade brake pads. Replace brake servo.
On 6k/4k coilovers.
15 inch wheel. 195/55. Cukup economical.. lol.
(8) Any indicative RPM in 4th gear autobox with 16-inch rims at 110/140/160?
Need taikor zth. I can't comment. Hehehe
(9) Any comments on this swap? Preferably constructive ones.
Start slowly, don jump too fast for upgrades.
Let the old heart running. Duno how long it being asleep. Remember. Let it stretch old bones. Don rush.
Unless u already have donor then diff story.

Cant yumcha with u. I in penang. Haizz..

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
basically just do sensible mod/maintenance... all should be well...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
do a full on build. Strip the current engine out, strengthen body and paint if necessary, overhaul and build the new engine outside of the car, install into car and go. I know a workshop that can do that for you. As long as you keep the GSR engine stock and don't skimp on replacement parts, you'll have a pretty uneventful swap.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
To answer your question:

If you maintain it properly, yes. 2WD autobox cant handle the torque from the turbo engine. You'll need the turbo 4WD autobox.

Somewhat yes. But you already done autofoam and full UR bars. Nothing to worry about. Unless you're pushing 37kgm above of torque.

(3) Would 4G93T autobox be suitable to mod my Wira to become a cruiser? NVH, power delivery.
There's a lot different 4WD auto from mitsubishi. You will need to get the one that's meant for a GSR engine. I'm using one on my 4G93 single cam. The eco mode is definitely good for highway cruising and the PWR mode is spot on for spirited driving. Do install ATF cooler coz the gearbox is big and there's not much cooling area in the engine bay.

(4) What are the common problems that I should expect when I do GSR swap into my Wira?
Nothing much. Do the standards service before swap. i.e: timing belt change, engine flush, water pump and oil pump check, new engine mounts, larger front brakes (GSR half cut or EVOs twin pot), turbo service, etc.

(5) I’m trying to build a cruiser out of my Wira swapped GSR with decent torque pull in highway. On wide open throttle (WOT), would it pull easily in the range from 0-160 with the autobox?
With your stock turbo, you'll go well beyond 180kmh. LOL. The autobox on mine goes from 0-140kmh in a breeze. Heck, my cruising speed is between 140-160kmh. Yours will be better.

You can get the engine 'complete' all in with wiring and gearbox for around 6k-8k stock. Prep around RM13-15k all in including swap.

Yup. More then sufficient. The front spring rate you'll need 6k or 7k to support the heavy autobox.

(8) Any indicative RPM in 4th gear autobox with 16-inch rims at 110/140/160?
It really depends on the condition/health of your autobox. Rough estimate on eco mode: 3.5k rpm 110kmh, 4k rpm 140kmh, 5k rpm 160kmh

Your advise would be great. If any were to indicate where I can do engine swap with reliable workmanship and price, that’d be best. I’m down for a yumcha session for this topic, so, hit me if you are keen.
My mech in Bukit Kemuning, Shah Alam definitely can help you out. Let me know if you're interested, then we can go there for an intro and quote.
Now that you mentioned torque, would a stock GSR that's overboosted 1.0 bar with locked 4wd autobox be able to produce more than 35kgm or 350nm? Don't think it's possible, isn't it?

Your autobox is from GSR? It comes with eco/power mode? What would the eco/power mode do? Does it delay the gear changes in power mode to a higher RPM bandwidth and vice versa with eco mode? It'll be great if you can share a little on the autobox twerks.

Also, I don't think stock GSR can go beyond 180 due to speedcut, isn't it? Pivot, RSM, or some form of speedcut alteration device is probably required. I'll probably do it too once I have GSR swapped in my Wira.

In this case, I'll need 6k spring rate for front coilovers due to the autobox? It's that heavy ke? Oh my.

I live at Kota Kemuning. Is it near to AEON Bukit Rimau by any chance?

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
yup. #builtnotbought :driver:
Agreed. I like the idea of #builtnotbought. My main reason to undergo this journey than to buy a swapped Wira/Satria/Putra is to have the experience and to undergo the journey of a humble streetcar owner.

niklys

Known Member
Feb 6, 2016
Selangor
Wait for sifu Sweelt to answer you. He drives a Wira with 4G93T engine too. Also C97 body but in sedan form unlike your aeroback.

To be honest if you ask me about the comments about this swap, I would say it costs roughly the same at the end if you buy another Wira with 4G93T and fix that car up. As you realize that the halfcut will cost you 11-12k, the other parts that you need to do to compliment this conversion won't come cheap as well.

Some of the things that you still need to equip to this car would be:
1. Adjustable suspension (most usually do this)
2. Larger brakes (the evo 3 brakes like you mentioned)
3. Full exhaust piping (as your original piping for your 4G15 is not sufficient)
4. Wheels (the Advanti like you said)
5. Tyres for these wheels (assuming your current tyre size is not suitable)

Now, if we add these 4 things on the list to your 11-12k halfcut, the final cost would come close to 20k. You need to remember to add on workmanship cost for the engine swap as well. Before that, a lot of things may need to be changed for the halfcut engine to ensure it runs smoothly since the engine is quite old. Like for example:

1. Engine oil
2. Gearbox oil
3. Spark plugs
4. Various oil seals
5. Engine mounting (if the ones in halfcut is not good anymore)
6. Brake fluid/oil
7. Various hoses ranging from radiator ones to intercooler

It is going to cost you several hundred or even 1k to 2k for all these. Looking at the final cost now, it will easily exceed 20k for sure. If you look at the used market for 4G93T swapped Wira, it will cost you like around 15k. It can be a bit more or lesser. Assuming you have 20k cash on hands, you can buy one at 15k, yet still have like 5k to fix up all the wear and tear in that car. You can even go for a better chassis like a C98 or C99 chassis instead of a C97. At the end, you get to keep your original Wira 1.5 and also another Wira with 4G93T.

I'm not saying that you must do as I suggested but you can consider about this option to see if it is worth it or not. Hope this helps you.
I'm going for a fully adjustable coilovers that's serviceable for sure. Larger brakes? Evo 3 is the way to go!

Exhaust piping on the other hand, I totally missed this out. What are the builds that I can go for a autobox GSR turbo? Any ideas? I have in mind to build a decent exhaust setup (maybe with a little crackling/popping sound during deceleration and throttle let off) that is able to produce healthy powerband between 2500-5000 RPM band (i understand that turbo spool up with max torque somewhere around 3k rpm). I was thinking to do the below. Do give some comments.

(1) Custom catless turbo downpipe, straight steel piping 2.5 inch all the way, with 2 resonators and no muffler.
(2) Custom catless turbo downpipe, straight steel piping 2.5 inch all the way, with 1 sports cat-con and 1 straight flow muffler
(3) Custom catless turbo downpipe, straight steel piping 2.5 inch all the way, with 1 sports cat-con, 1 resonator, and no muffler.
(4) Any others?

I think 16 inch rubber with 205/50/16 should be good for daily drive with a little street credibility. Any ideas on this? Also, I don't mind to go 17 inch rubber and wheels if my fenders are able take it.

Normal wear and tear definitely have to go, before swapping GSR into my Wira. The cost there is minimal in comparison when something breaks during halfway driving. Less headache and problem to fret too. Smoother driving guaranteed as well. Engine mounting is a definite to go for me.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I'll be bringing my mk3 Toyota Supra with a 1JZ twin-turbo engine with me to Malaysia soon.

And I was wondering where would be a good place to take my car if it needed a service. Are there any places who specialize in Toyota engines, specifically the 1JZ? I'll be living in Penang, so I don't really want to travel to KL every time I want to get my engine looked at.

Well hope you guys can help.

Cheers,
OzXchange
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience