Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like new

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like

Conti manufacturers put too many SENSORS to detect failure of parts.

Ironically, SENSORS are also parts which need replacing too.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Re: Continental car start break down after 100k millage, but japan car still run like

Haha..reminds me of various sensors on an A320 that's troublesome, giving out spurious warnings.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

What you said is true. Even my year 2000 206 amount of sensors on the TB itself is more than the current DBW although it runs on cable.

The worst is if you plan to mod a conti that involve wiring...don't send it to the wrong guy and cannot simply tap the wiring...because very sensitive also....tap wrong wire after CEL light come on or car hard to start this and that..

Last edited:

tth tyre

500 RPM
Jun 5, 2007
Puchong

1st,need to get a reliable workshop n mechanic to source original part.

2nd, don't even rojak part component as many workshop ppl did it when owner had limited budget or cheap.

so far Italian car the best sexy look model with Ferrari, Lamboghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

What you said is true. Even my year 2000 206 amount of sensors on the TB itself is more than the current DBW although it runs on cable.

The worst is if you plan to mod a conti that involve wiring...don't send it to the wrong guy and cannot simply tap the wiring...because very sensitive also....tap wrong wire after CEL light come on or car hard to start this and that..
My mechanic have a Citroen ZX. Of course old car but then even the sockets are giving way....:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I recall someone telling me once before that BMW has over engineered their cars. They have a ECU for everything, one for the power window, one for the central locking, one for aircon, everything. One breaks down and it causes a chain reaction to the whole car - power window ECU breaks and car can't start... or something like that.

Which is hilarious!

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur

I recall someone telling me once before that BMW has over engineered their cars. They have a ECU for everything, one for the power window, one for the central locking, one for aircon, everything. One breaks down and it causes a chain reaction to the whole car - power window ECU breaks and car can't start... or something like that.

Which is hilarious!
A friend with Volvo S60T replaced power window switch for over RM1k. Told me after replacing the switch, need to reflash to let car ECU know that the window switch was replaced.

What the **** was that for.

I changed EG9 power window mechanism and switch for less than RM100.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

1st,need to get a reliable workshop n mechanic to source original part.

2nd, don't even rojak part component as many workshop ppl did it when owner had limited budget or cheap.

so far Italian car the best sexy look model with Ferrari, Lamboghini, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia...
Actually Italian cars are more simpler than Germany, Scandinavian cars. Not so much sensors, ECUs.

Almost as simple as Japanese cars.

VTEC LoVeR

500 RPM
Jun 30, 2010
Kulim

A friend with Volvo S60T replaced power window switch for over RM1k. Told me after replacing the switch, need to reflash to let car ECU know that the window switch was replaced.

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Actually Italian cars are more simpler than Germany, Scandinavian cars. Not so much sensors, ECUs.

Haha, harsh but is true... :rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

russian car gooding..LADA cars...always going strong no matter how freezing the cold it was

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom

All this while I've been maintaining the sensors since the engine or gearbox never gives me problem....only sensors lights keep popping up which means money money money motst of the time..

But sensors also saves me few times already...esp low tire pressure monitor many times saves me from bursting my tires & stranded on the road side :wavey:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia

And I find it funny that sensors need replacing. Its like everything got expiry date. So on a car with sensors, you will to replace the sensor and the part it senses. On a car without sensors, you just replace the part when it fails.

I prefer the latter.

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com

I owned lots of Japanese cars... I've owned one Korean car.. and I have owned 3 BMWs...

First and fore most...100k km cars... it all depends on how the previous owner or how you treat the car - driving style, interval of service and quality of oil.. as well as honesty and technical knowledge of your mechanic plays A VERY IMPORTANT ROLE....

Ok... Cerita shall continue on...

The reason why continental cars in general (not brand specific) are prone to 'issues' are bcoz it is engineered for precision. Thus, it has sensors here and there. Least to say, there is a sensor near your ass coz as and when u fart, there will be a warning light popping up to say "WARNING - LETHAL GAS RELEASED"

As with cars with humongous amount of sensors and complex circuitry - it will, after time - fail. Thus more parts for u to replace and even before that - more sensing equals to more areas of worry for u.. sikit sikit.. dinggg... warning... but in actual fact, it's quite ok. But in return - u get solid precision engineering.

Japanese cars on the other hands - there aint as much sensors. Even calibration of their water temp has buffers. U noticed, when your car engine over heats - 3-4 mins before that, the water temp meter is or should be at the middle.. sekali the car smokes - BOOM.. the meter straight shoot up to HOT zone. Shouldn't water temp increase gradually and not 'out of a sudden'? that's bcoz they dont wanna let consumer worry mah... u just sit there.. i on the fan kasi kipas u punya radiator kuat kuat... sekali they fail to cool down.. maaf.. tunjuk asap then tunjuk merah... lolol... for BMWs, the meter rises gradually and u know it's gonna over heat... that's precision.. unless u don have water in d tank already la.. itu pun they will warn u.. DINGGG... water level low... eject now..

Mechanical wise - i'd say it's on par.. except for toyota.. toyota engine seems to run forever.. unless send it to some piss ass mechanic to screw it up... suspensions and bar arm links bla bla...all same la... wear and tear.. previous models, yes.. i'd say Jap cars parts are cheaper.. but the later models.. i would say it's on par... unless u go buy some continental cars with souped up parts like brembo brakes la..dis la dat la.. then your wallet break la.. don complain coz u bought the conti cars that came with souped up parts.. .(some actually come factory fitted but then again - laju mahhhh).

U must compare apple to apple. Don't compare say, umm... Honda city with BMW 3 series M Sport.. u must compare DC5 with 3 Series M Sport... if u compare it d way before - habis la... how to compare?

Korean cars... umm.. fuck man... last time when I owned a Kia Rio.. i shit u not.. the parts aint cheap.

Meeting.. later continue..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

BH : Hoi.. My old junk Wira gradually increases one. But the difference between normal temp and overheating is only a couple of degrees according to my water temp meter. Normal temp is around the 85 celsius range (which is normal since my thermostat opens at that temp) and it's in the red zone at 95 celsius. Only thing I wish I had was a radiator water level sensor. Would've saved me a lot of heartache.

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

Jap car parts now price also not cheap even for the CKDs.

BH, Jap cars and German cars engineering wise like you said it's about the same because both are into precision on engineering. I have to say this is because my factory all using German made machines from Stuttgart and precision is the key and these machines I have part, of them is even older than me some are like 30~40 years already but they still perform as good as the newer ones sometimes even better and the mechanical parts never seems to fail other than those that requires changing due to wear and tear. The older machines have sensors too but the sensitivity is not as quick or accurate as the newer ones hence the new machines that I have tend to stop more precisely if they detect a fault compare to old one. Higher sensitivity sensor means they need to be handle more carefully because they are more delicate. More sensors give you more accurate data and detection but when working on them need to becareful. Like my metal detector machine. the center core coil...can't even move out of position by 0.01mm if it does...then it will give a fault code....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have been struggling with water stains on my windscreen & adding on driving in low light & kaboom rain -

you know by leaving yr white cars not wash for a week plus u will get stripes - like zebra - because of our acid rains, industrial fall out & esp working & staying near factory with emission fumes - I am one of the victim

this was what i have been struggling with for a long...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience