Coming from the UK

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Hi all

I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur from the UK in the next few weeks and I'm thinking to buy a car.

I thought i would say hello!

Hope to meet you some day and learn from this community.

:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Welcome. May I suggest a Lotus Elise? It's hardly a car, but since you can drive it on public roads it qualifies. It's Brit and Malaysian, soon to be Chinese, so more reason to get it now.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Hi all

I'm moving to Kuala Lumpur from the UK in the next few weeks and I'm thinking to buy a car.

howdy. And why would you want to come to KL when you can earn GBP in UK?

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
welcome bro!

Welcome. May I suggest a Lotus Elise? It's hardly a car, but since you can drive it on public roads it qualifies. It's Brit and Malaysian, soon to be Chinese, so more reason to get it now.
i cannot stop laughing!!

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Expatriate posted here? My ex colleague hubby is from UK, work here 2 years, then Australia 3 years not back in UK......lol:rofl:

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Very good suggestion and I'll take a browse at some. How much are they selling for out there?

Does it have air con? :stupid:

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Because I chose not to prioritise money for this particular move. I was willing to take any pay reduction for the life experience.

But Alhamdhulilah (thanks to God), the money came my way in the end anyway.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Brilliant idea! :driver:

G-Forced

Jul 5, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Most people convert their foreign earning sto their home currency and make a direct comparison, but as you say, the living expenses can often be different in the foreign country.

Other factors are leaving behind family, friends, and the support network etc. Most people are not prepared to take the plunge, or arn't even programmed or have the perspective to do so.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Welcome bro g-forced. And uhhh...judge the KL traffic by your own eyes before decide any car to drive.
Thought u a nvidia gforce at first...lol

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi mate

I am from the UK, I live in Thailand now but like this forum because it is mostly in English unlike the Thai forum's, but the scene in Malaysia is more similar to Thailand than the UK.

I am actually here in the UK now for a short trip to visit friends and family.

Enjoy living in SE Asia!

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Hi all

I would suggest a small, comfortable, safe and economical car. A Honda Jazz, Proton Iriz or something like that.

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
I would suggest a small, comfortable, safe and economical car. A Honda Jazz, Proton Iriz or something like that.
Sounds boring, but the OP will have a shock if he wants a sports car, in the UK and Western countries we are spoiled because sports and luxury car's are not taxed so heavily. I owned several car's that were fairly powerful and sporty stock in the UK that would not be able to afford in SE Asia, because they would attract 300% tax.

The difference in SE Asia is you can take a boring car and turn it into something fun if you have the patience and are interested in cars, because of the availability of JDM parts, engines and half cuts, as well the labor cost being much lower. In the UK a good mechanic will be charging 250+ Malaysian ringgit per hour to work on your car so to do big mod's like an engine swap it is just not worth it when there are used stock sports car's for sale for affordable prices.

To the OP, if you want a fast sporty car in Malaysia, but if you are not a millionaire who can afford to pay crazy high prices, look at the JDM scene. Many Proton's are built based on Mitsubishi, and there are many quick Mitsubishi's that get imported to countries like Malaysia and Thailand as half cuts (officially as scrap to get round the tax issue) allowing you to build and run a quick and sporty car without paying crazy high prices.

I maybe oversimplifying things, and my personal experience is in Thailand not Malaysia but I am sure other BM's here can advise you more.

If you wanted a quick Jazz or a quick Yaris you could swap the stock engine to a K20a (Honda Jazz) or 2ZZ (Toyota Yaris) but I think almost every performance shop in Malaysia know's how to work on Mitsu/Proton, so I would research what JDM engine goes into what local car model more easily and choose what car to buy based on that.

Regarding the driving licence, IMO it is worth getting a new international permit while still in the UK, you can get one by showing your UK driving licence, and giving a passport style photo and a small fee in any major UK post office. I don't know about Malaysia but in Thailand they swapped my international driving permit for a full Thai driving licence without me having to do any test or exam, except a colour blindness test and perception test. I still have my UK licence which is registered to my families UK address and I have my Thai licence which is registered to my Thai address.

Hope that helps!

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I just installed a Autogauge water temp gauge on my Iswara to replace the old 1(die already)...

then after some normal driving... i found that the needle is pointing between 90c n 100c...

is this optimum temprerature?

i scared wait rev some more my engine has to "enter factory"..

thx
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience