Clutch strange behaviour

Triplej94

Jun 22, 2017
Kuching
I've recently installed exedy 4 puck sprung clutch kit to my 4g92. I've just reached 500KM on it. I understood that this type of clutch would be much more stiffer feeling and also it can cause the car to vibrate especially during a standstill start of in 1st gear.

after taking the car out from the workshop, it feels like expected on puck clutches. (jerks/vibrate during releasing clutch at 1st gear from a standstill). after driving it in for 400-500 KM, the clutch starts to feel much less vibration/jerking feeling during releasing the clutch on first gear from a standstill. and the strange thing is sometimes it vibrates/jerks more. somehow not consistent feeling.

is this normal?? :confused:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
I've recently installed exedy 4 puck sprung clutch kit to my 4g92. I've just reached 500KM on it. I understood that this type of clutch would be much more stiffer feeling and also it can cause the car to vibrate especially during a standstill start of in 1st gear.

after taking the car out from the workshop, it feels like expected on puck clutches. (jerks/vibrate during releasing clutch at 1st gear from a standstill). after driving it in for 400-500 KM, the clutch starts to feel much less vibration/jerking feeling during releasing the clutch on first gear from a standstill. and the strange thing is sometimes it vibrates/jerks more. somehow not consistent feeling.

is this normal?? :confused:
did you change whole clutch set include bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate..etc ?
happened to me during last set of 4 puck clutch, 1st gear can engage but clutch din bite or suddenly bite throw car forward. Yup and vibration.
finally checked and found out clutch bearing kaput.
Puck clutches very torturing for daily + start stop traffic. Left leg can get used to it but mechanical parts take the beating.
i go backward already from 3 puck - 4 puck - oem clutch. hahaha...
IF you have change all, might be other problem.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
did you change whole clutch set include bearing, clutch plate, pressure plate..etc ?
happened to me during last set of 4 puck clutch, 1st gear can engage but clutch din bite or suddenly bite throw car forward. Yup and vibration.
Puck clutches very torturing for daily + start stop traffic. Left leg can get used to it but mechanical parts take the beating.
Heavy clutch if you track your car, if not just use normal ones for daily. Mine since swap use normal exedy until now......lol

Reactions: Triplej94

Triplej94

Jun 22, 2017
Kuching
I did change the whole set.. which include throwbout bearing, clutch plate and clutch pressure plate. I also check the shaft input if got free play.. but everything was ok..

However, the grip was awsome..

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I’ve also noticed vibration/jerking when im shifting down 4th to 3rd.. is that normal?
Should be abnormal. 1st gear slowly let go of clutch is different pressure. 4th to 3rd, you will let clutch go immediately. Maybe pressure plate problem, or clutch plate against flywheel....

Triplej94

Jun 22, 2017
Kuching
Should be abnormal. 1st gear slowly let go of clutch is different pressure. 4th to 3rd, you will let clutch go immediately. Maybe pressure plate problem, or clutch plate against flywheel....
It only happen when im shiffting down and releasing the clutch slowly on low rpm.. 2-3k.. if i release the clutch normally, it grips right away and causing the car to jump.. if i rev match, its fine..

Im new to these types of clutch..

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
It only happen when im shiffting down and releasing the clutch slowly on low rpm.. 2-3k.. if i release the clutch normally, it grips right away and causing the car to jump.. if i rev match, its fine..

Since you are new to puck clutch , give your left leg more time to adjust.
It need effort to slip this clutch, not like oem clutch. It'll wear out faster too if always in traffic.
Left leg got pain?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
It need effort to slip this clutch, not like oem clutch. It'll wear out faster too if always in traffic.
Left leg got pain?
Like tyres, better grip, faster wear ah? Like that if ride the clutch lagi fast finish......

Triplej94

Jun 22, 2017
Kuching
Left leg got pain?
Not much difference in the pedal feel.. maybe because its on clutch pump?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

hi 6 puck user here and use it as daily.

yes, puck typre of clutch has better grip and from standstill it judder to get move.
this kind of clutch doesnt like to slip, hence whatever u used to do with stock organic clutch, you cant use the same method. It wont be smooth.

that being said, that is why if u release clutch slowly during downshift ,it judders/vibrate.
so u need to change your style,i smooth things out by reving to 1.5k ish rpm to let it slip during stand still, and rev match during gear shift.

my master pump clutch failed twice throught out 6 puck clutch life time. the symptom are,even if u 'tekan clutch berdiri',gear still not being release and got metal grinding sound during shift

Triplej94

Jun 22, 2017
Kuching
Clutch pump got master and slave. If stock pump/cylinder sure can feel more effort to push the pedal.
You got strong left leg ...lol
Well, if normal use, not much difference.. but when in jam, my left foot will tend to get tired and shiver tho.. :laugh::laugh::laugh: