citric acid to remove radiator rust

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
me too use the mild citric acid meant for drain clog-cleaner...and meant to use with warm water.....managed to remove a few big chunk of rust (it came out clumping like clay).......

flushed for good 4-5times with warm engine...

but i'm still unsure what was the cause of my missing waterpump blade....1-if the previous workshop didnt replace my waterpump during timingbelt change (and charged for it) or that cheap mixed various brand of coolant or imitation toyota LLC used previously (that clogged my radiator and overheated my car again) or that citric acid flush....

but no worries...replaced new waterpump during recent timingbelt change (3-4years old timingbelt if i remember correctly)

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wah! first time I see no more blades left. Even my water pump leak time change, blades are still there, rusty only.....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Wah! first time I see no more blades left. Even my water pump leak time change, blades are still there, rusty only.....
because i only change waterpump on 2nd time timingbelt change....so a lot of thing happens between that....didnt sure which one was the root cause... :banghead:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Even that wonder how your car was cooling without the blades......:hmmmm::biggrin:

it was doing fine....thats weird....the only occasional near overheating cases due to melted radiator fan socket only(and faulty fan motor replaced afterward)....other than that coolant temp all great..... :hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

but i didnt have thermostat for almost forever... :rofl:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Even no thermostat pump got no blade at all, so how to circulate the water?....:rolleyes:
yeah me too puzzled with that condition of blades...still the engine working fine without any temperature spike....

probably the water moves itself due to temperature differences? :rofl:

Jun 4, 2015
JerusalemIsrael
So I decided to try and clean the cooling system with vinegar like the guy 4 years ago who originally posted his experience. Did this on a 98 Mazda 626 GF 2L whose coolant hadn't been changed for 7 years and had to have the radiator replace two years ago. Water pump is the original I think.

So I drained the coolant, took out the thermostat ( which was rotted and stuck closed ) and to and disconnected the radiator hoses from the block. Then rinsed cold engine with waterhose. I found that it helps to stick the hose in at both ends of the radiator. Then fill and run with distilled water, drain and fill with about 1/3 5% synthetic vinegar and 2/3 distilled water.

Some before pics from inside the engine block:

The bottle on far right is the first vinegar flush, the middle one the second, and the third after running distilled water to clean it out ( after flushing it with the water hose ).

I'll upload the after pics soon.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friend car have been stolen at a workshopl @ kamunting....

No. Plate : PAX 4958

Owner Name : Adib

No H/P : 0173000953

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience