Chasing the dirt

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I had the privilege to detail the interior of the Toyota Chaser. This car, like its other siblings (Cresta, Mark II, etc) was born in the era of insane japanese 6 cylinder turbo engines. Thus this is not your everyday average car.

Run. Be very afraid.

(Adapted from: http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/dimi108/badge_close.jpg)

Many will go "wow" seeing a detail of a new exotic. But little does one realise that the real challenge comes when trying to detail/restore an old car. Especially an abused one. For us, be it new or classics, if you love your car and want it restored, I say bring it. A friend recently acquired this car in mind for a project. Having previously abused by the previous users and workshops, he asked if the state of the interior can be improved. Let the pictures talk now.

Passenger carpet before. Whitish hardened stains

A 50/50 cleaning by Osren Fabric Cleaner

Passenger carpet done.

Driver's side carpet before.

Driver's side carpet done.

Rust ingrained in carpet. The bolt must have been sitting there for years.

Done.

A 50/50 cleaning on the mats by Osren Fabric Cleaner.

Roof handle before: Nothing works here. Tried other treatments including concentrated Optimum Power Clean with half hour agitation but could not remove. Resorted to using my self formulated pH neutral cleanser. A blend of various polar and non polar cleaners. Lets just call it the Dirt Defier for now.

Roof handle after: The Dirt Defier managed to lightened the marks significantly although still not able to remove. I have suggested for an interior restore on this part.

Before. Another part that could not be completely repaired after 20 minutes of agitation with Dirt Defier.

After: Lightened but not completely removed.

Sun blind before: Pigmentation

Sun blind after: Pigmentation reduced

A total view

B pillar before

B pillar after

A 50/50 cleaning on the door board velvet by Osren Fabric Cleaner

A close up view of the 50/50

Door board before: A cured, hardened paint on both sides of the door board. Nothing works here including OPC, Osren Fabric Cleaner and even Dirt Defier. Resorted to using an interior solvent based cleaner.

Boor board after: Spent 45 minutes of agitation on a single spot for the passenger side and 30 minutes on the driver's side. The whitish stains are dryness caused by the interior solvent and not damaged. The area was applied with moisturisers afterwards to restore the satin shine.

A total view of an after detailed door board

Upholstery before.

Upholstery after.

Due to the dark colour of the seats, it is difficult to judge whether anything is cleaned at all, or whether it is even dirty in the first place. But a single wipe of the microfibre with Osren Fabric Cleaner tells it all.

Upholstery before: Random gum spots

Upholstery after: Gums spots gone with dirt defier.

Upholstery before: Another patch of hardened gum.

Upholstery after: Gum soften, and removed.

Door handles before: A close up view of ingrained dirt (look closely into darkened grain of the leather.)

Door handles after: Deep cleaning of Dirt Defier lifts even the dirt stuck within the leather grain

Delicate details not to be missed

An example of what is removed from interior detail. Things that the naked eye could not see. A total of 22 buckets of such dirty water was extracted.

Dirt removed (buckets of dirty water):

Door board - 2 buckets per door x (4 doors) = 8 buckets
Roof lining - 1 bucket per 2 square ft x (6 square ft) = 3 buckets
Dashboard - 1 bucket
Upholstery - 2 buckets per seat x (4 seats) = 8 buckets
Random spot cleaning - 2 buckets

Total = 22 buckets

Time spent:

Door board - approx 30 minutes each = 2 hours
Carpets - approx 2 hours
Roof lining - approx 1 hour
Dashboard - approx 30 minutes
Random spot cleaning - approx 2 and a half hours

Total: 8 hours

Thank you for viewing.

Last edited:

V53

Known Member
Aug 7, 2011
JB
It look like the dirt sitting there for many years already.....Really like the after detailed door board!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
It look like the dirt sitting there for many years already.....Really like the after detailed door board!
Yeah... Probably as old as the car... This one really needed patience and some good muscles to get the dirt out.

kc2

1,000 RPM
Dec 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
thedetailers.blogspot.com
Do not despise a humble beginning! More gonna to come when u handle it stewardshipfully !!! Definitely more

Good effort pay off well

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dirt Defier, where can I buy me some of those? :P
Hahaha... We can try and mix and kaboom one fine day when we are free.

Do not despise a humble beginning! More gonna to come when u handle it stewardshipfully !!! Definitely more

Good effort pay off well
Thanks for kind words KC! Definitely waiting...

virqai

Known Member
Dec 30, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
ur job :top: and u are really good photographer...all pics really sharp,like its can talk..what a good camera u have...mine only cop "meow-meow":bawling:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
ur job :top: and u are really good photographer...all pics really sharp,like its can talk..what a good camera u have...mine only cop "meow-meow":bawling:
Thanks bro Virqai...

You are being humble only. I have been reading your rebuild thread. Very impressive and skillful of you! You can even clean engine parts better!!!

And my camera. It is about 7 years old I think, Sony DSC 10 if not mistaken. The pictures start to blurr and will kaput anythime soon:bawling:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everyone,

i wanna ask all BC V1 coilover owner. Do you....

* feel bumpy even on straight road with hard setting (I am feel like riding a horse now)
* have soft weird squeaking noise (like rubber rubbing on each other)
* have a one weird knocking sound when full right steering turn

i am experiencing all the above on my 2007 swift sport , sound from front right.is it faulty and gone case?
what setting are you currently at for front and rear?
Are you using BC spring 4KG / part...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience