Cefiro Club

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
brian23 said:
All sifu here, may i know how much the titan will cost for the shock?? i went titan on saturday and then kenneth cost me RM2200 including the installation. thanks. but i dun wan too stiff, so which 1 is better?? i still using the original shock but too "soft". hope u all sifu here can give me some opinion. thanks. hope can hear from u guys soon. thanks a lot.
brian...go for titan...its rm2800 (new price its rm3000 but u can negola)...
and its not hard at all...i am sure rm2200 its for koni...u will be suprise the koni its hard as well...

with titan, u can adjust the height n service the absorber...maybe u can try one of our members ride b4 deciding...

doesnt come with PillowBall joint. i know they cost a lot...>rm700 a pair...not really need it unless u want extreme -ve chambers...:evil:

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
brian23 said:
All sifu here, may i know how much the titan will cost for the shock?? i went titan on saturday and then kenneth cost me RM2200 including the installation. thanks. but i dun wan too stiff, so which 1 is better?? i still using the original shock but too "soft". hope u all sifu here can give me some opinion. thanks. hope can hear from u guys soon. thanks a lot.
brian...go for titan...its rm2800 (new price its rm3000 but u can negola)...
and its not hard at all...i am sure rm2200 its for koni...u will be suprise the koni its hard as well...

with titan, u can adjust the height n service the absorber...maybe u can try one of our members ride b4 deciding...

doesnt come with PillowBall joint. i know they cost a lot...>rm700 a pair...not really need it unless u want extreme -ve chambers...:evil:

brian23

May 4, 2006
thanks for ur opinions. i still have few Qs to ask. koni or titan is better on the performance like cornering?? is it necessery i put the strut bar as well?? any diff after fix it up?? thanks.

kwangwey

Known Member
Oct 2, 2005
its really light considering the size. actual colour was chrome gold but my friend decolour the gold layer n its full chrome now...what do u guys think? my OZ nicer or this one? :confused_smile: but its for sale la...anyone? hehe

old 18" OZ...a bit dull if u ask me...haiii...
[/QUOTE]

Ong..The set of new rims look nicer ler...why not u take it for urself? hehehehe
Just being outstation for a week, so many new comers and new message liao. Wah... welcome all:_:

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
Hi All

Can comment on Eibach spring + original absorbers? I emphasized more on confort but feel original setting is too soft lah....Previously had bad experience using Kayaba Excel-G absorbers which is superstiff to me, so cannot tahan switch back to original (from ongsan) in less than 2 months.

I heard will lower by 2~3 fingers. Will this shorthen the absorbers' life?

Last edited:

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
hey anyone went to KLIMS during the weekends? Was a bit disappointed... moreover Nissan didn't setup any booth for ppl to buy stuff. ... i bought a mitsubishi shirt ...

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
kwangwey...thanks..just paid my friend today...hehehe

brian...if u want performance...titan will beat koni for sure coz its adjustables...

lawcc...r u gettin the prokit from peter? prokit its more on comfort...dont worry...it suits stock abs coz its not really lowered. unless its sport kit...

cgui...worth to go the klims or not ahh? plan to go tmr la...hehehe

cgui

500 RPM
Oct 20, 2004
Setapak
well it depends on wat u wanna see... if u want to see modded cars ... then don't go .. if u want to see new cars & chicks then GO.

but my advice is its not worth it lar .. u can go to any of the manufacturer show room & u can have a better look .. Nissan only displayed their sport concept car... serena .. 350Z cabriolet .... 350Z nismo and sentra nismo .. so nothing special ...

also nissan is organizing a defensive driving thingy .. but only open for x trail & sentra .. no cefiro .. i'll contact their helpline and see if the can accomodate us feilo ...

their charging RM150 for 1 nite stay @ concorde Inn KLIA .. with breakfast, lunch & dinner ..

more details check out this link http://www.nissan.com.my/nissan_drive.html

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
cgui said:
well it depends on wat u wanna see... if u want to see modded cars ... then don't go .. if u want to see new cars & chicks then GO.

but my advice is its not worth it lar .. u can go to any of the manufacturer show room & u can have a better look .. Nissan only displayed their sport concept car... serena .. 350Z cabriolet .... 350Z nismo and sentra nismo .. so nothing special ...

also nissan is organizing a defensive driving thingy .. but only open for x trail & sentra .. no cefiro .. i'll contact their helpline and see if the can accomodate us feilo ...

their charging RM150 for 1 nite stay @ concorde Inn KLIA .. with breakfast, lunch & dinner ..

more details check out this link http://www.nissan.com.my/nissan_drive.html
ok...understood...nothin special but just wanna c the pagani zonda la...hehe

rm150 its ok what...stay in hotel...with foods...rm150 its cheap!! too bad not for cefiro...

Lawcc

Known Member
Jul 15, 2005
Damansara
ongteckweng said:
lawcc...r u gettin the prokit from peter? prokit its more on comfort...dont worry...it suits stock abs coz its not really lowered. unless its sport kit...
yes, you are right. Peter is selling his. And I am looking for confort, and from the net, understand that front lower by 1.5" and back by 1.2". Not sure whether got problem when go up and down from car park?

If it is confort then I am planning to change it.....Our stock is too bounching,,,,

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Lawcc said:
yes, you are right. Peter is selling his. And I am looking for confort, and from the net, understand that front lower by 1.5" and back by 1.2". Not sure whether got problem when go up and down from car park?

If it is confort then I am planning to change it.....Our stock is too bounching,,,,
prokit shouldnt lowered very much...its around there...car parks shouldnt be a prob....unless u have bodykits...hehe

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
My goodness....today, I'm too busy to look in...and the forum goes into turbo mode... :smile:

First off, thanks for the warm welcome. I've been away from the motor scene in Malaysia for too long...and it's nice to finally find "like-minded" individuals again...you know...the mild-mannered, slightly overweight, boring career executive kind, solid in the office...but whose eyes betray just the hint of madness...like a coiled rattlesnake ready to strike at slightest whiff of exhaust fumes...lol... :vroam: <------ like this guy!... :laugh:

Anyway....first...the trailer... a fully loaded 40 footer...story starts like this:

It was a dark and stormy night...no really...it was... :laugh: A colleague and I were returning from JB after attending a dinner and we were about 80 km from JB on the way back to KL at about half past midnight when a trailer we were passing (he was driving) decided to swing out. Driver may have fallen asleep, but we will never know cos the coward ran... :angry:

Anyway, his rear tyres hit my left fender and my tyre exploded immediately. Rim hit the ground at 160 kmh and shattered, but the car remained stable and straight. Surprising considering we'd lost a control wheel. The impact crushed my left fender, and bent the lower arm back into the A-pillar. Also set off my one and only air-bag. We slowed to a stop...took us about a km...and the sparks from my shattered rim must have been spetacular.

My colleague indeed felt very bad about the incident, but a quick analysis basically told me that we were lucky to be alive. A lesser vehicle would have summersaulted as the chasis gave way. The Cefiro chasis DID NOT give way. Stock, it was rigid enough to maintain it's shape through the impact and slowing down of the vehicle despite dragging it's left wheel. My bonnet was untouched!

Anyway, the "sharks" were on the scene within minutes, but I made a call to KL and got a tow-truck to come down and retrieved us. Incident happened at half past twelve (midnight) and we "rolled" into KL at 10 am the next morning after waiting more than 3 hours for the tow truck, making a police report, and getting towed all the way back.

The insurance claim was not too difficult, just bloody slow. Took them almost 2 months to clear and repair my car. There was a slight deformity of the A-pillar, and I lost my lower arm, knuckle and x-member but other than that...all was well...surprisingly. A 40 footer trailer carries so much momentum that it cannot be taken lightly.

Being the driver that I am...I measured everything throughout the repair, and instructed the welder. One reason the Cefiro is so rigid (and they had and incredibly difficult time pulling the chasis back into shape) is because the chasis is constructed of 4 layers of steel. Most other cars (with the exception of continental vehicles and thoroughbred sportscars) have only 2 layers. Also, each of the layers is thicker than normal, making the chasis very tough indeed. Every part of the chasis was measured to mm accuracy before I accepted the car...and the wheel camber/castor was adjusted twice more after I got the car back. All in all, I'm reasonably confident that the repaired side is probably more accurate and more rigid than the undamaged side... :laugh:

I still have a lot of adjustments to do. They took off my dashboard to make the repairs and put it back badly...so that gets done within these 2 weeks.

So...yet another story to tell the kids when I get old and grey...then again...I NEVER intend to get old and grey... :rofl:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
dream.tent said:
Pistons: Cast vs. Forged

The major disadvantages to forged pistons are actually a result of the forging process itself. Forging results in a piston that is considerably heavier, than cast pistons, and is limited in the aluminum alloys that can be used to produce the piston. Additionally, the forging process also limits the design configuration of the piston itself.

The forging process and its limited choice of aluminum alloys result in a dramatically higher expansion rate for the forged piston. This means that the set up characteristics are very different from the original engine manufacturers' and that break-in and warm up periods are crucial for the forged piston.

An example of the dramatic expansion of forged pistons is the piston skirt clearances in the cylinder. A typical cast piston has a skirt clearance of approximately .0007 to .0009. A forged piston has a skirt clearance of .005 to .007. The forged piston has 10 times more slop in the cylinder. This results in less ring stability against the cylinderical wall, more piston noise and extra blowby.

In all fairness, after the forged piston has reached operating temperature, its dramatic expansion makes up for these extra clearances. However, this should remind us of the typical customer that a dealer services. Can we expect the casual weekend boater to strictly observe the extended break in period and the critical warm up procedures required for a forged piston? Let your own experience answer this question.

Most forged pistons are quality products, but they are better suited to racing and professional applications.
This is an EXCELLENT treatise on the difference between forged and cast pistons. Someone should collect these and put them in an faq for the VQ... :smile:

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
brian23 said:
Richard from Titan offered 2 alternatives. Both which are viable.

a) Cut your existing stock springs. Unlike the casual "Ah Beng" mechanic, Richard can cut your springs and flatten out the ends again so that they sit properly. This will lower the car marginally, as well as stiffen up the suspension. You might want to give this a try first...for the front of the car.

b) DEFINITELY go for the Titans. RM 2,800 for a set is what he quoted me. An option would be to invest in fronts only which would be at RM 1,400 a pair. Lower the front slightly and use spring rates of about 6kg/mm. The front of the car is where our suspensions are failing. The rears are ok. You could install Titan fronts and cut the rears slightly. Since the Titans are adjustable, there will be no problem balancing out the car.

Konis, Teins or any kind of sports or semi-sports springs are built to match a minimum spring rate of about 6-8kg/mm. Considering our stock springs are only about 5+ kg/mm, they are completely mis-matched with sports absorbers.

How "comfortable" the ride not only depends on how stiff or soft the suspension. The shocks and springs must be properly matched, as they both perform different functions - the springs carry the weight of the car, and the shocks damp the...er...shocks... :smile:

If your springs are too soft, they give way too fast for the shock to react...hence, the car would tend to jolt as the shocks resist the rate of compression. If the shocks are too soft, then they don't damp enough and the car would tend to bounce.

So, our stock springs, unless shortened properly, would never be properly matched with even the minimum sports shock. Likewise, the stock shock would never match sports springs.

IMHO your best bet would still be Titan.

defcon1

500 RPM
May 26, 2006
I see here that there is a lot of healthy interest in a couple of things :

a) Downgrading engine to a lower capacity to take advantage of lower road tax.

b) Upgrading performance to negate the loss of power that comes from taking action a) above.

c) Improving the vehicle's general handling and nimbleness in traffic.

d) Doing all-of-the-above without needing to send our kids to the local sweatshop to make ends meet... :laugh:

I've finally worked out the 'modification pathway" of my vehicle. My objective is to create a vehicle that maintains the dignity of a Cefiro (manic career executives like myself need to hide our wilder sides from concerned employers and customers alike), creates a slightly more sporty profile, with power under the hood (more than a 3l stock...and we are not talking forced induction here), but is virtually unrecognizable as a modified vehicle from the outside...even with the bonnet open..with the exception of the cold air intake. And I think I can do it to benefit us all.

Stage 1

Change engine to a 2.5l. Here I intend to purchase only the long block i.e. an "engine kosong". I would re-use my 3l manifolds, throttle body, MAF, fuel rail and injectors (have to determine if the injectors are the same, but here, someone is sending me a Nissan electronic parts catalogue), starter, gearbox, etc.

This change will lose me approx. 25 bhp in power, and a bit of torque as the final drive ratios of the 3l gearbox is slightly different from the 2.5l. Not sure if the manifolds will make enough difference, as I will only be able to measure them when the engine is out.

Stage 2

Install a cold air intake with an air charger. This will gain me about 10 - 15 bhp negating the effects of the engine change almost completely.

Those who do not intend to turbo their vehicles may also invest in a Y-pipe. I haven't looked under our cars carefully, but there may be 2 pre-cats in the exhaust that, by now, would function as mere restrictions to air flow. This will gain another approximately 20 bhp. A Y-pipe may be fabricated quite easily.

Stage 3

Install a piggy-back ECU of some kind. Those not intending to turbo may use a simple SAFC whilst those who have some form of forced induction in mind may invest in an e-manage. Properly tuning the vehicle's AF ratio at different rpm's will gain us quite a bit of torque as the VQ tends to run quite rich at certain points of the power band. The power gain here would depend on how the car was tuned i.e. how the power curve was tweaked.

Stage 4 (Optional)

Forced induction. Either a turbo or a supercharger. This will require a completely different project paper.

Now, how is this going to benefit us? The key words here are "group purchase". I've done some research into costs and here is what I have calculated that it will cost me doing it alone.

a) Engine long block RM 2,400
b) Odds and ends parts/oil etc RM 500
c) Workmanship RM 800
-------------
Total RM 3,700

The motor I found was built in 2003...has spent 6 months at the scrapyard, so probably has only been on the road for about 2 years. The parts requirements assumes that you have sourced a good engine with minimal repair requirements eg. you do not have to change the water pump. Here, we could probably negotiate on the cost of motor and the workmanship.

Stage 2 will probably cost about RM 1k, but the advantage is that it is not mandatory to the engine change so we can spread out the expense. Also, a group purchase will probably save us a lot, with regards to the Y-pipe since the material cost is marginal, and most of the cost is workmanship.

Stage 3 can vary with regards to costs. A second hand SAFC could run from RM 400 - RM 1,000 though I would never pay anything more than RM 600 for a used SAFC.

A used e-manage would be around RM 1k+. A new e-manage Ultimate would cost RM 2,800. So, there are many options for many levels of affordability.

Stage 4 is a separate project and will require a separate budget. Probably have to save for 6 - 12 months to get it done.

There are also many other power boosting options that can be looked into.

i) Adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Costs about RM 350 and properly tuned can add power and responsiveness by increasing the degree of atomization of fuel i.e. a more homogenous air-fuel mix resulting in more efficient ignition.

ii) An uprated fuel pump to ensure that all injectors are adequately supplied with fuel and to maintain fuel pressure and flow. I've heard that a Volvo turbo fuel pump does wonders for our cars and fits into our stock positions. I'm researching this and finding out if I can get a few out of the local scrap yards.

iii) Ignition stabilizers. I have a reasonably cheap, Malaysian designed ignition stabilizer in my car, and it improved responsiveness of the motor significantly. Even surprised me, and I'm an electronics man.

These are some of the things you can do to your motor. Even if you do not intend to change your motor, stages b), c) and d) can still apply along with the other options.

Next...suspension mods... :smile: