Carburetor engine difficult cold starting

RigerZ

Nov 19, 2012
Subang
I have a 1981 Datsun 120Y which very often has trouble starting in cold weather, especially after overnight rain. Even using the choke doesnt seem to work. I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere in the carburetor, but my dad suspects the ignition coil isnt making enough voltage for the spark plugs.

But then again I do notice my battery is significantly weaker in colder weather and the cranking isnt as strong. When I give it a jump start the engine would start almost all the time. I seem to understand that the weaker battery would cause the following (please correct me if mistaken):

- Slower cranking leading to weaker compression in the cylinders; air/fuel mixture doesnt burn properly

- Less voltage going to the ignition coil and finally to the spark plug; weaker spark doesnt ignite the air/fuel mixture

Anyone knows any other possible causes of this problem?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
I have a 1981 Datsun 120Y which very often has trouble starting in cold weather, especially after overnight rain. Even using the choke doesnt seem to work. I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere in the carburetor, but my dad suspects the ignition coil isnt making enough voltage for the spark plugs.

But then again I do notice my battery is significantly weaker in colder weather and the cranking isnt as strong. When I give it a jump start the engine would start almost all the time. I seem to understand that the weaker battery would cause the following (please correct me if mistaken):

- Slower cranking leading to weaker compression in the cylinders; air/fuel mixture doesnt burn properly

- Less voltage going to the ignition coil and finally to the spark plug; weaker spark doesnt ignite the air/fuel mixture

I was thinking the same whether my carb kancil is also because of this problem. Actually happens after replacing the spark plugs and the plug cables to borsch ones. :hmmmm:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

i tot all old cars has problem during cold start, had a Toyota LE before gotta pump the accelerator when turning the ignition

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Yours is still the old battery?
New bro. Changed to NMF battery. Just recall after changing the plug cables and spark plugs and also did the air valve on the same day. Only got such problem after that. Before that it was okay.

So not sure if the spark plugs is the wrong one given. Plug Cables are borsch.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
New bro. Changed to NMF battery. Just recall after changing the plug cables and spark plugs and also did the air valve on the same day. Only got such problem after that. Before that it was okay.

So not sure if the spark plugs is the wrong one given. Plug Cables are borsch.
Then is new battery mah! Not battery issue dy......:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Then is new battery mah! Not battery issue dy......:biggrin:
Could it be plug cables or spark plug problem? Cold start only problem. Always have to step on gas a bit to prevent it from dying off. Another way is crank until start. If die off, start again 2nd time then it will be okay. 2 way. But step on gas vibration not that bad.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thats what the choke should be for, but on my car the choke doesnt help :(
Have you ever had the carb serviced? Could be dirty and choke not working?

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Could it be plug cables or spark plug problem? Cold start only problem. Always have to step on gas a bit to prevent it from dying off. Another way is crank until start. If die off, start again 2nd time then it will be okay. 2 way. But step on gas vibration not that bad.
Sound like fuel ratio is lean for cold start. Try the choke or like you say just step a bit on accelerator until stable. No two cars start the same way. Even my VR sometimes stable, sometimes chokes and cough, step of accelerator a while and then stable...hahahaha:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Have you ever had the carb serviced? Could be dirty and choke not working?

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Sound like fuel ratio is lean for cold start. Try the choke or like you say just step a bit on accelerator until stable. No two cars start the same way. Even my VR sometimes stable, sometimes chokes and cough, step of accelerator a while and then stable...hahahaha:biggrin:
Yup doing that every morning :laugh: Step on gas a bit and let it run gradually awhile. Then only jalan. After that the rest of the day should be fine unless I leave it till night time then got slight cold start problem. But is bearable.

Change battery, if it is done, check your carb, try to service it, den tune it...used to do tat to my tiara, running on carb...
How to tune? U mean adjust the choke?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup doing that every morning :laugh: Step on gas a bit and let it run gradually awhile. Then only jalan. After that the rest of the day should be fine unless I leave it till night time then got slight cold start problem. But is bearable.

How to tune? U mean adjust the choke?
Fong should have tuned it already, right?

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Fong should have tuned it already, right?
Yup, but still have cold start issues :rofl: Cuz by the time i reach there no more cold start issues.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

heee...don't know where to post this topic...think this is the best place to do so...

just curious...

On board video cam...
got a video cam...mount it inside ur car...let say using triod or what so ever technique..

but, how about camera outside ur car...using what gadget aaa??? how to mount it outside...(like they used in Get away in Stockholm, from different angle of the car)

if possible got smaller input device that can link with the inside video cam...

Please Sifooos...help...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience