Car swaying problem

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Hi sifus,

Need some advice here.
Few months back, my car a Proton Wira 1.6 has encountered swaying problem.
At times the steering would pull to the left and at times will be to the right even on a straight flat road (Kesas, NPE or Federal highway).
Even on straight road the steering always has to be corrected.
I've changed rims, 4pcs brand new tyres (PS3), all rear bushing (including trailing arm is brand new), alignment but things became worse!
Front lower arm (driver's side) changed to brand new Taiwanese but only lasted 6mths (ball joint loosened). Opted for a pair of used ones from chop shop but lasted only 3 days. Now it has got the "kluk" noise whenever I accelerate. Engine mounting has been changed.
I suspect the ball joint is dead again.
What I'm curious is, what could possibly kill a ball joint so fast?
Car is stock standard to the bone except for 15" sports rims.
Any input is very much appreciated!

peeche

Known Member
May 16, 2006
Sin City, MY
Which side that swayed? Front or rear? If front try to check steering rack, rack end, tie rod end.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yup, steering rack especially you mentioned sometimes left, sometime right.
Any free play on your steering when turning right and left?

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Danz,
That's what my mechanic suggested also but I always thought if drive shaft is faulty then it will make the "klak klak klak" noise when making a u-turn? Mine got no sound at all. Drive shaft head (nearest to disk brake side) has been changed while trouble shooting this issue. Gearbox side checked by mechanic and he says its ok.

peeche,
Previously was the rear, hence change every single bush at the rear. Now I can't really feel if the rear is swaying as the front swaying is really bad. Don't dare to drive 120km/h even on straight highway. Tie rod has been changed too. Steering rack bush has been checked to see if the whole steering rack moves when car is stand still by turning steering. Steering rack doesn't move at all. Steering rack bush was also new. Where is rack end?

vr2turbo,
Surprisingly no free play at all. This is the headache part. Normally if there is free play then easier to troubleshoot.

Any idea if a faulty steering rack can kill a ball joint prematurely? Need to find out how come ball joint can koyak so fast.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Rack end is the shaft connected to the steering rack. The other end connects the tie rod end.
Jack the car up and try to move the front wheel left and right. No movement means rack end okay.

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
That was checked by mechanic...he even dismantled the wheels and disconnect the tie rod from the bracket and check the rack end if it has free play. Result is its fit and no free play. Big headache with this issue.

Could power steering pump somehow cause this issue?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I have nothing to contribute. You guys have covered everything.

That kind of unexpected swaying is usually toe-in/out issue. Probably a linkage or something is gone case. Heck it's possible even the absorber kong

m a v [3] r i c k

9,000 RPM
Nov 21, 2003
KL
Visit site
Izso,

Exactly that feeling. Feels like 1 side of the front wheel is having "loose" toe setting. What other linkage to be checked apart from what bro vr2turbo and Danz has already mentioned?

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
steering rack bush?

try ask someone to shake the steering wheel while u check from the engine area see got free play or not.

mine persona got free play eventhough change new bush.:hmmmm:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
m a v [3] r i c k;1064490484 said:
Izso,

Exactly that feeling. Feels like 1 side of the front wheel is having "loose" toe setting. What other linkage to be checked apart from what bro vr2turbo and Danz has already mentioned?
Personally, I'd jack up the car and check everything starting from the rims, to the arms, to the ball joints and everything. Then have someone turn the steering left to right x 10 and you just monitor and look at how everything is moving.

The other thing I'd do is after jacking up the car, try to move your wheel left right left right and see if you have free play. If you do, your driveshaft or something along the lines is gone.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
as well as worn steering rack to..must check for steering freeplay while car on ground and engine off...

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
as well as worn steering rack to..must check for steering freeplay while car on ground and engine off...
He mentioned all that checked already from tie rod end, rack end, steering free play etc....

Normally if sometime left and sometime right is something to so with steering...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Subaru describes its new 'Rex as its "fastest WRX STI ever", and to lay some credibility to this claim, the new car has turned the Nurburgring race track in an impressive 7 minutes and 55 seconds in the hands of four-time World Rally Champion, Tommi Mäkinen.

If you remember, rally legend and Porsche test driver Walter Röhrl lapped the 'Ring with the 500hp Panamera Turbo in...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience