Car compression test

chokia15

Oct 4, 2012
Kuching
I recently have my honda eg B16A (A) compression tested and the result was 190 psi for cylinder 1, 3 & 4 and 205 psi for cylinder 2. My mechanic told me that's why my cylinder 2 spark plug always burn. Is it true? ZTH sifu please enlighten me. Thanks!

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
its a combustion chamber compression pressure test right? the higher figure is better. its say that there is no (or less) leakage in that combustion chamber (normally occur at piston rings and valve seal).

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You have to find out what you car compression figures are then compare with the results. Too high a compression that cylinder may detonate and damage parts probably including the plug, but at 205 does not seems too high from 190. Probably too much carbon built up in that cylinder?

chokia15

Oct 4, 2012
Kuching
After i change the burn spark plug the car still occasionally misfire. What should be done to deal with this issue? If the carbon do built up in the cylinder what can be done to fix that? Thanks!

C99D-MMC5537

Known Member
Jan 9, 2008
if all the ignition system ok from coil /ignition module, cable & plug is in good condition, then try check the spark plug heat range.

chokia15

Oct 4, 2012
Kuching
More info: The car sometimes felt very heavy like not very responsive when accelerating. During cold start it will sometimes vibrate. Asked my mechanic he said not sure what's the problem. Running out of idea to fix the car. Other workshop say can fix the compression prob but need at least 2k.. :banghead:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
More info: The car sometimes felt very heavy like not very responsive when accelerating. During cold start it will sometimes vibrate. Asked my mechanic he said not sure what's the problem. Running out of idea to fix the car. Other workshop say can fix the compression prob but need at least 2k.. :banghead:
Probably they just de-carbonized only.
Agree with bro. C99D better check the ignition, wiring etc. first before any major job...

udengfahlawi

1,000 RPM
Dec 3, 2004
putrajaya
Visit site
I recently have my honda eg B16A (A) compression tested and the result was 190 psi for cylinder 1, 3 & 4 and 205 psi for cylinder 2. My mechanic told me that's why my cylinder 2 spark plug always burn. Is it true? ZTH sifu please enlighten me. Thanks!
what does he mean "spark plug always burn"?......black n full of carbon?....

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

After i change the burn spark plug the car still occasionally misfire. What should be done to deal with this issue? If the carbon do built up in the cylinder what can be done to fix that? Thanks!
borrow a set of good working spark plug cables from someone, then install in your car...see if that changes anything....if it does, probably your cables are bad already, causing not enough current to one of the plugs...while you're at it, open up the distributor cap n see whether the contacts inside is still in good condition or not....mayb one of it is broken....

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

seems ok to me...sometimes they are not the same for all cylinders...as long as they don't drop too much shud be fine....to get better result, do leak-down test....

chokia15

Oct 4, 2012
Kuching
Thanks for all the advise! I will have the ignition and distributor checked and update the findings ASAP. Much appreciated!

Waiora_ProTuner

500 RPM
Nov 29, 2006
check the fuel distribution and the injector on the 2nd cylinder..compare with other..

what do you mean by spark plug always burn?
black or white?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
carbon fouling....

seems like valve seal or piston ring kong on that piston....

chokia15

Oct 4, 2012
Kuching
Does it mean I need to overhaul my car? :bawling: Or are there any alternative way I could check for the problem? :hmmmm2:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Saturday morning was the finals for the Shell Helix Ferrari World Challenge. The finals was held at the theme park in Berjaya Times Square, and participants had to compete in eight challenges that including a food tasting test, rollercoaster ride, memory recall, treasure hunt and more. Each challenge worked in a point system format, and participants competed...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience