Car Battery lasted for few days only

zainul

Jun 20, 2005
Malaysia
Been having this issue on my Proton Putra 1999 (Auto) where the battery only lasted for few days (4-5 days) without starting the engine. After that the battery power will drop and i have to jump start or charge the battery first.

There seem to be something sucking the battery but i cant seem to figure out. I've sent it to a nearby mechanic but he can't detect it as well. Anyone can give some idea how to solve this?

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
From my experience, it was caused by a faulty ignition switch at steering column. The ignition remained on, even the car key was removed.
Just to share with you.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Being having this issue on my Proton Putra 1999 (Auto) where the battery only lasted for few days (4-5 days) without starting the engine. After that the battery power will drop and i have to jump start or charge the battery first.

There seem to be something sucking the battery but i cant seem to figure out. I've sent it to a nearby mechanic but he can't detect it as well. Anyone can give some idea how to solve this?
Too many possibilities.

1. If you have an immobilizer but had it bypassed or disabled, sometimes if you tap it wrongly the battery will drain big time.

2. Ignition like what Ken Yeang said

3. Your VS is faulty.

Easier to just list out all the things you have that are non-standard in your car.

Also, to test connect a multimeter in series to the negative terminal of your battery with the car turned off and check the ampere draw. Anything above 0.2/0.3 is too high.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
There are 2 possibilities....

1) Your car has got wiring problem, that is there might be bare wires in contact with the car body...

This can happen if your wire is broken or bitten by rats etc

2) Your new battery is faulty...

Certain unethical battery shop will fill in the distilled water instead of acid into your new battery...

At any cicumstances i think you are entitled to change a new battery as it is under warranty...:listen:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Can try locking with the key and do not activate the alarm.
Check also the Audio Head unit. My friend got one time Head unit remains on and draw current too....

Dec 27, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
HI all sifu out there,

My Estima's car battery only lasts for 3 months. Earlier I was advised to change the alternator. After changing the alternator,the battery problem remains! Went to Toyotsu, they checked for leaking current, can't find any. They highlighted the alternator does not "store api", advise me to change alternator again! WTF.

Any suggestion?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
HI all sifu out there,

My Estima's car battery only lasts for 3 months. Earlier I was advised to change the alternator. After changing the alternator,the battery problem remains! Went to Toyotsu, they checked for leaking current, can't find any. They highlighted the alternator does not "store api", advise me to change alternator again! WTF.

Any suggestion?
Park the car at home, start it up and let it idle. Open the hood and pull out the battery leads with the car idling. See how long the car idles and if it dies off really fast.. your alternator is in need of changing.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Just changed the alternator about 6 months ago, change again?
test first la.

You changed to a new one or recon unit? If recon then it's possible. If it's new claim warranty. If it's not the alternator then you have a current leak somewhere (but your mech confirmed there wasn't any right?)

Last possibility is you a zillion voltage stabilizers and they are faulty (does happen). Take it out and try.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
HI all sifu out there,

Any suggestion?
Alternator charge the battery, don't store. If they do not know what they are doing, better find another mechanic....
They just need to check charging rate (voltage) of the alternator. If below level then only need to change. Looks like they do not know what is wrong so trial and error but you pay for it....:banghead:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i drive proton wira 1.6 4g92p..does my car have speed limiter? cause even if i upgrade my exhaust system, air filter with CAI, muffler, ground cables...from previous stock i can only reach 160 and nothing more than that...after the modification i've made i can managed 165-170 only...

The question is why other cars(same model like mine) stock can reach even more than mine? if there is speed limiter how do i remove them? thanks sifus and friends:wavey:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience