can someone suggest me how to make bass sound"dub dub' not the 'pom pom"

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
hello fwendz..hehe...i have install 2 12 inch sub woofer into my neo boot...but im not like to use any box for the sub woofer...can someone suggest me how can i make the woofer sound "dub dub' not the "pom pom" sound

Attachments

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
First of all you need an enclosure. Free air subs like what you've setup will not give you tight sounding bass. And you won't need 2 subs, just 1 sub in a sealed box (not ported). If after that it's still boomy consider putting feathers from a pillow inside the box (buy those cheap RM15 feather pillows and use the stuffing).

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
thanks...but can i use enclosure like cone to make sealed box ..because i love travel and sometimes my boot full with stuff...if can i want to avoiding using box that consumed space in my boot

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Depends on your sub. If your sub needs a certain amount of space and you don't give it that space,you won't get the dub dub sound.

Zenn

2,000 RPM
Jul 12, 2005
KL
sell both your subs and buy a good quality small 10 inch sub and put it in a small sealed box...solve both problems.

nadziad

Known Member
May 14, 2011
johor
huh?...no cheap to buy a new one

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Depends on your sub. If your sub needs a certain amount of space and you don't give it that space,you won't get the dub dub sound.
owh.....if that so...i have to use sealed box la...hmmm.....

QuinnyGT

Jun 19, 2012
Cork, Ireland
If you want bass to sound right you need to put the sub into a box, unless you buy a Isobaric sub (free air sub that doesnt require a box) You will not achieve any sort of performance out of your speaker!

A small simple box maybe 1 cubic foot in size (14" x 14" x 10") with some feathers inside for damping as mentioned above. By using one sub in a box like that I can guarantee it will be much louder on the ear and the sub will sound much punchier.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
yep...sell both and buy new high quality 10" sub with box is the proper way to go....

better if got double phase sub (twin coil type)

if wanna cheap2 just heads to mudah.my for used item....

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
First of all you need an enclosure. Free air subs like what you've setup will not give you tight sounding bass. And you won't need 2 subs, just 1 sub in a sealed box (not ported). If after that it's still boomy consider putting feathers from a pillow inside the box (buy those cheap RM15 feather pillows and use the stuffing).
I didnt know pillow got so many uses...

I only knew pillow is used to sleep...

Use for increasing the height or align for better angle while having sex....

But this one....

To make the speaker sound doop doop & goop goop ?:confused:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I didnt know pillow got so many uses...

I only knew pillow is used to sleep...

Use for increasing the height or align for better angle while having sex....

But this one....

To make the speaker sound doop doop & goop goop ?:confused:
Try it. :biggrin:

Old skool way of changing the sound. But have to use those polyester pillows or something. Duck feather and all that won't work :biggrin:

I incorrectly said "feathers". Should be those stuffing type.. forgot what they are called.

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Im surprise that your sub has that "pom" sound while mounted as IB. IB would have resulted in low SPL low tuning since the cabin space (whole car) will act like a sealed box. So suggesting another sealed box will not guarantee a different result.

You would get a better result going low tuned ported, but not guaranteed since low tuned ported box will result in higher excursion and not understanding the power/output of the sub and box will result in the sub damaged.

I had my 1st setup with 2 12" Kicker CVR in a 4 cu.ft 33hz box and it sounded low and nice so its not impossible to make that sub sound good.

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Correct me if im outdated.

Those days, we choose speakers with thick magnet...

The thicker the magnet, the sound will be more solid...

Also we used equalizer to adjust the bass sound (gop gop):rolleyes:

appleyard

500 RPM
Dec 20, 2004
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
A thick magnet (dual or tripple slug which normally 1" thick) is just a rough indicator of a sub that has higher xmech (mechanical clearance) but not guaranteed.

Solid (tight) bass has nothing to do with a single or dual magnet. Tight bass normally comes from the BL force of the sub. A quick change in the L field will determine whether your sub is responsive fast enough in freq. change.

EQ is used to boost certain freq which are weak (dips in freq response) to achieve a flatter freq response or to boost certain freq to be louder than the others. The sound of the sub will be determined by that tuning freq is the enclosure, using polyfill may help a little in contrast of using polifill for solution.

Hope this helps

LesleyAprotto

Banned
Jun 16, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
A thick magnet (dual or tripple slug which normally 1" thick) is just a rough indicator of a sub that has higher xmech (mechanical clearance) but not guaranteed.

Solid (tight) bass has nothing to do with a single or dual magnet. Tight bass normally comes from the BL force of the sub. A quick change in the L field will determine whether your sub is responsive fast enough in freq. change.

EQ is used to boost certain freq which are weak (dips in freq response) to achieve a flatter freq response or to boost certain freq to be louder than the others. The sound of the sub will be determined by that tuning freq is the enclosure, using polyfill may help a little in contrast of using polifill for solution.

Hope this helps
Thanks Apple for the explanation...:wavey:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
The eastern sifu of SPL Appleyard has spoken! Heed thy words!

(Psst - are you still selling your Fi subs?)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

BMW themselves claimed the 1 Series M Coupe was the spiritual successor to the legendary E30 M3 that was highly regarded for its rawness and rewarding drive, something that fans have claimed the current crop of M cars lack.

Autocar has decided to pit it against the more precise and focused Porsche Cayman R to see if the 1 Series M Coupe really does hark back to the visceral driving experience of yore. We...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience